The Alloa Athletic Thread

6 hours ago, Tamhain said:

Strange to see Flanagan as a trialist as we signed him the previous season.  

Seem to recall he might have been told to prove himself worthy of a deal- as utterly insane as that sounds based on what a player he became for us after the injuries dried up.

8 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Seem to recall he might have been told to prove himself worthy of a deal- as utterly insane as that sounds based on what a player he became for us after the injuries dried up.

Sure there was quite a few players in the same situation that summer, James Creaney etc

Yea I recall Printer suggesting a pay per play deal! It was a valid point though.

I think how we learned to deal with what was a chronic injury was first rate, basically if there was a twinge miss a game and come back the following week fit.

10 hours ago, fruitbowl said:

Yea I recall Printer suggesting a pay per play deal! It was a valid point though.

I think how we learned to deal with what was a chronic injury was first rate, basically if there was a twinge miss a game and come back the following week fit.

Yep, there were a few occasions when I know the management team were running out of patience with him. In his first couple of seasons I used to watch the training and more often than not Flannigan was doing stretching exercises alone.

Thank god we stuck it out. In a decade where so many good players have been at the club, Flannigan is the best of the lot.

My ambition for this season is to see if we can get a testimonial committee going for Cawley, and coax Flannigan back for a final outing. 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

13 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Yep, there were a few occasions when I know the management team were running out of patience with him. In his first couple of seasons I used to watch the training and more often than not Flannigan was doing stretching exercises alone.

Thank god we stuck it out. In a decade where so many good players have been at the club, Flannigan is the best of the lot.

My ambition for this season is to see if we can get a testimonial committee going for Cawley, and coax Flannigan back for a final outing. 

I think I was debating on here the wisdom of giving Flanny a new deal that summer. As you say, so thankful they stuck at it and found a way to get him playing regularly. Would be fantastic to have him back in Black and Gold for a Cawley testimonial.

Not suggesting he'll reach the heights of Flanny but would like to think Scougall could perhaps follow a similar route. We only saw glimpses of his class last season but like Flanny initially, he was never able to get any momentum with a run of games. Have to hope he can stay fit this season and get an established role in the team. Certainly capable of being a key man for us. 

10 hours ago, qos1990 said:

What’s Lee connellys contract situation? Still on books at Sunderland? He was good against us down at Palmerston

I don't know his contract situation but can't see him ever making an impact at Sunderland. Not convinced either he'd be a great signing for the likes of QoS, probably needs to go a bit lower and try and play every week for a while. 

Edited by Waspie

Guest Peter LaFleur
15 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Mark Durnan is one he's signed 

Massive sigh of relief from the rest of the division if true.

6 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

GTF day on pie and bovril took me by surprise. Lost trying to find our thread. Ach well, roll on the promotion charge ... 

For some reason I got punted back to summer 2018 as the first unread comment.

Falkirk fans congratulating us on coming up was not what I expected!

Between this thread and the Falkirk thread this year for the best value for money in terms of watching promotion optimism fall apart a game at a time....

in all fairness I like an away day to Alloa, terracing...Roll & pie and a decent stadium. 

more than happy to exchange 2 wins a piece, Welcome back lads 

11 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Between this thread and the Falkirk thread this year for the best value for money in terms of watching promotion optimism fall apart a game at a time....

in all fairness I like an away day to Alloa, terracing...Roll & pie and a decent stadium. 

more than happy to exchange 2 wins a piece, Welcome back lads 

Certainly saw some evidence last season of some younger Alloa fans whose expectations have perhaps been raised to unrealistic levels based on an exceptionally good few years. And nothing wrong with that. But I think most of our support were expecting a tough season ahead even before our rather left field managerial appointment. I'd like to think we can mount a promotion challenge but I also accept this has the potential to backfire. 

As for giving up two wins to perma seaside diddy team Dumbarton, no chance. All aboard Bazza's League 1 championship bandwagon. 

Good to see Liam Dick stay in the Championship with Raith, rather than the rumoured Falkirk. A steady, reliable player who really came on this season despite our defensive frailties. A good option in the Championship. Opens the door up for Williamson to have a real impact this season. 

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Good to see Liam Dick stay in the Championship with Raith, rather than the rumoured Falkirk. A steady, reliable player who really came on this season despite our defensive frailties. A good option in the Championship. Opens the door up for Williamson to have a real impact this season. 

Do you think Williamson will be the 1st choice left-sided defender for this season?

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Very happy to see he elected to come over to us. He looks on paper to be plenty versatile, so while he’ll likely immediately be our starting LB, where else has he played and how did he do? His interview for RaithTV certainly gives a good impression of him, and he seems to have quite enjoyed his time at Alloa. Best of luck in League One, but hope not to see you next year regardless of how well you do!

https://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=1447

Good move for Dick and he deserves the opportunity, he'll do well for Raith and I wish him all the best.

Re Williamson, he played double figure games and didn't look out of place in a creaking defence in the Championship at 17. If rumours are right it's the centre backs the managers replacing. 

Hopefully the 3 youngsters get opportunitys, lower league and a smaller squad, will depend on whether this manager wants to give youth the chance. He got it so why shouldn't they. 

Strikers seem to be more of a priority IMO.