The Alloa Athletic Thread

8 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I mean, him referring to me as 'the wee F****n' or 'the wee T**g' in his presence was the give away for myself believing he is a bigot, but I mean if that's seen as acceptable then yeah I've definitely proved your point?!

DHOTYA

20 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Disappointing about Stevie Hetherington but he has made terrific progress over the last few years, from a fringe player initially and all set to be let go to becoming a real pivotal figure. Some of his performances last season were excellent, the home defeat against Hearts is one that sticks out where I thought he was as good as anything on the field with a mix of controlled aggression and clever midfield play. He has earned a crack at full-time football. All the best Stevie. 

Think any supporter would be mad to not send Stevie off with best wishes.

Not as big a hole to fill as Flanny, but I would say trying to replace Heatherington isn't a million miles off it. I suppose the hope would be, given Ferguson's playing history, that he should hopefully have an eye for spotting a player of that sort of mould.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

DHOTYA

If that's how you want to play it off then so be it - Dick and his brother Pete were as bad as each other with it. As i said before, was a totally different story with Ian, guy had time for everyone and anyone.

All this and no mention of BM  in the fray yet , can we all relax now or am i premature  ?

BF said on go radio that the chairman had freed the players we know of  not him , i wonder was ray grant pushed or did he go 

interesting if nothing else .

Edited by whereismillar

16 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

If that's how you want to play it off then so be it - Dick and his brother Pete were as bad as each other with it. As i said before, was a totally different story with Ian, guy had time for everyone and anyone.

Well I’ll never know. 

But I personally don’t believe Ferguson, DC or 95 percent of the people singing they songs at Ibrox every week are bigots. 

Leave it at that. 

20 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Not as big a hole to fill as Flanny, but I would say trying to replace Heatherington isn't a million miles off it. I suppose the hope would be, given Ferguson's playing history, 

I got this far, and you gave me chills as to what came next  :shutup

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well I’ll never know. 

But I personally don’t believe Ferguson, DC or 95 percent of the people singing they songs at Ibrox every week are bigots. 

Leave it at that. 

Neither do they. Or the other 5%.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well I’ll never know. 

Leave it at that. 

You don't think someone who goes out in public and starts shouting about killing Catholics is a bigot?

For what it's worth, I really liked BF at Clyde. Despite the limited success at the club, the guy is an absolute winner. Obviously that mentality combined with coming to a club with the arse falling out of it for his first foray into part time football wasn't a great match and he just couldn't lift the players to the level he wanted.

In one of his seasons at Clyde we had an absolutely superb start, he signed Dylan Easton and built the team around him and it was all looking incredibly rosy until Easton was lost to a long term injury (along with Jordan Lowden who at the time was also really important to the system). There was no contingency plan whatsoever and things fell apart incredibly quickly with us basically relying on the Goodwillie signing to stay in the league. I honestly thought that at the right club after a few more years of developing he would be a great appointment.

I think it's an odd move given Kelty's upward momentum but I'm really interested in how things will play out.

37 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well I’ll never know. 

Leave it at that. 

Well if you will never know, it would be remiss of me not to accept your Didn't Happen of the Year Award so graciously.

In all seriousness though I do agree with your sentiment around 'its not all of them'. Do i believe everyone at Ibrox is a bigot? No. I do buy in to the idea of the 90 minute bigot who quite frankly are just idiots.

But there are certain instances where it runs deeper, and Campbell's family falls in to that. His brother Pete for instance, after his funeral it was everyone back to the Masonic Lodge in Cowdenbeath for the reception.

Think the issue in Scotland and Scottish football is a lot bigger than an Alloa and Arbroath fan bickering over who is and isn't a bigot so happy to leave it there.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The amount of genuine bigots is very low, you think everyone at ibrox singing that shit genuinely hates catholic’s? My family is as catholic as you could get, you offended on our behalf? How people treat each other is much more important than some stupid songs.  Yes they shouldn’t get sung and yes more needs to be done but you can’t judge a persons character based off of that. Maybe different if you’re marching in an orange walk but for the vast majority they’re just seen as football songs. 

I don't know why you excuse bigotry. Whether they "genuinely" hate catholics or not is irrelevant, they are shouting/singing sectarian shit. I'd argue if folk sing this stuff and don't mean it is worse than someone who is actually being true to their beliefs. I mean, you're being a sectarian wee fanny for what reason? To impress the actual bigots you hang about with? To piss off catholics even though you don't hate them? You absolutely can judge a persons character off of it, what a baffling thing to say. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You’ve just proved my point. If you think DC is a bigot you’re off your nut.

You realise that bigots and racists can appear the nicest people in the world, especially when talking with someone the same as them (white, privileged) but still hold utterly abhorrent views, aye? I'm not saying DC is a bigot, I have no idea either way, but just because he's a nice guy to a lot of people doesn't mean he isn't. 

This thread seems to be going down a bit of a different route now but hopefully barry and Bob come in and produce the goods and its a win win situation, im sure they've both done things in the past theyre not proud of but haven't we all, we do become older and wiser. Anyway I'm sure Barry's wife would have plenty to say about his right hand man being a true bigot as that wouldn't go down well with her being a roman Catholic. 

2 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Looks like Peter Grant is set to become our next manager. 

Many Pars fans not taken to this very well.  Is this as bad as many seem to think? How does he compare to the likes of Ross, Hartley & Goodwin?

I reckon this is a decent appointment. Not glamorous which is what many of your fans wanted but a pretty solid appointment at that. Peter’s ideas were great and what he was trying to do with the squad was good but just so hard at a PT level. I think throughout his time though he showed that tactically he was switched on and that he was able to have an eye for a player. 

Think there was a few problems with a few players and he began to lose the dressing room is the old cliche. He’s pretty old school in terms of discipline and way he deals with his players. 

I don’t think Dunfermline fans will give him much time so I just hope he hits the ground running quickly. On thé face, looks surprising that he’s relegated from Championship and then goes and bags a job in the top of end of the league. However, I think Peter’s reputation and knowledge in the game meant he was always going to secure a FT gig. Had a few to pick from too. 

Comparing him to the likes of the guys you’ve mentioned, he clearly didn’t have the same level of success. There was moments of glory in his reign though and maybe he just did inherit that Alloa squad as they were all a year or two too old and / or in a crazy COVID league. I won’t remember him the same way as Hartley and co. but he certainly doesn’t go down as a failure.

In terms of today’s big news, I’m excited but wary of what the season will bring. 

Ferguson spoke a good game today, as you would expect. The guy is a winner and he’ll settle for nothing less. That’s a good thing. The vibe I got was he was so meticulous and a perfectionist in his work, so the standards will be high. Which the players will be used to of course. He’s coming into a strong core which has now been released in the press and there is some real coups that we’ve managed to keep. Scougall being the one that caught my eye. Keep him fit and he’ll stroll this league.

He’s obviously had a disastrous end to Clyde but he was a young manager then and to be fair, was a game away from promotion.  Kelty will have given him more time to learn the trade and let’s hope he can take it into this Alloa job. I’m not going to get into the Bob Malcolm debate but I am glad Paddy Connolly is staying. An integral part of the success and a great person for Ferguson to lean on. Andy Graham too will have a role, as ever, and will be a good presence.

Looks like Mulraney is going to back the manager and give him the funds to go and get the six or seven he wants. No cut in the budget after relegation is always a good sign. I reckon we’ll see a few of his Kelty players follow and if they are Dylan Easton and Nathan Austin, then I’m certainly not complaining!

It’s a big risk appointment, no doubt. It’s bring so much media attention and a lot of people vying for us to fail. If it goes wrong, I reckon it’ll be catastrophically wrong. Man management skills were accused to be bad at Clyde but improved at Kelty. Depends on how the results are going I suppose. However, with the steady core we have, plus Paddy, I don’t think it’ll get to that stage of absolute chaos. I don’t really care if a manager or player is green, blue or whatever, as long as they are fully focused on Alloa. From what I gathered today, Ferguson is all about that. He’s got a job to do of promotion and that’s all that matters.

Edited by KierenAAFC

5 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

In terms of today’s big news, I’m excited but wary of what the season will bring. 

Ferguson spoke a good game today, as you would expect. The guy is a winner and he’ll settle for nothing less. That’s a good thing. The vibe I got was he was so meticulous and a perfectionist in his work, so the standards will be high. Which the players will be used to of course. He’s coming into a strong core which has now been released in the press and there is some real coups that we’ve managed to keep. Scougall being the one that caught my eye. Keep him fit and he’ll stroll this league.

He’s obviously had a disastrous end to Clyde but he was a young manager then and to be fair, was a game away from promotion.  Kelty will have given him more time to learn the trade and let’s hope he can take it into this Alloa job. I’m not going to get into the Bob Malcolm debate but I am glad Paddy Connolly is staying. An integral part of the success and a great person for Ferguson to lean on. Andy Graham too will have a role, as ever, and will be a good presence.

Looks like Mulraney is going to back the manager and give him the funds to go and get the six or seven he wants. No cut in the budget after relegation is always a good sign. I reckon we’ll see a few of his Kelty players follow and if they are Dylan Easton and Nathan Austin, then I’m certainly not complaining!

It’s a big risk appointment, no doubt. It’s bring so much media attention and a lot of people vying for us to fail. If it goes wrong, I reckon it’ll be catastrophically wrong. Man management skills were accused to be bad at Clyde but improved at Kelty. Depends on how the results are going I suppose. However, with the steady core we have, plus Paddy, I don’t think it’ll get to that stage of absolute chaos. I don’t really care if a manager or player is green, blue or whatever, as long as they are fully focused on Alloa. From what I gathered today, Ferguson is all about that. He’s got a job to do of promotion and that’s all that matters.

Great Post