The Alloa Athletic Thread

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm consoling myself with the fact that we still haven't had the opportunity to vote the Celtgers B teams into the SPFL, which is my red line.

That and denial should get me through to the weekend. I can start drinking then, and may never stop.

don't do it man ! The drink and the P&B don't mix , get help ! I still Shudder at some of my drink inspired posts (that's my excuse and i am sticking to  it ) .

If this bob malcolm character follows him i really do not know what i will do ...

Edited by whereismillar

2 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

don't do it man ! The drink and the P&B don't mix , get help ! I still Shudder at some of my drink inspired posts (that's my excuse and i am sticking to  it ) .

I'll get in ahead of the pack and say that it couldn't possibly make my posts any worse!

Think I'll just try to forget about this until August now, but this genuinely makes me feel quite ill and the board are making a terrible mistake here. It's obviously not as bad as when Clyde seemingly started signing players based on their criminal history, and I'm not going to be one of these folk who start actually hoping their team lose in order to be right, but it'll be a relief when this is over.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I'll get in ahead of the pack and say that it couldn't possibly make my posts any worse!

Think I'll just try to forget about this until August now, but this genuinely makes me feel quite ill and the board are making a terrible mistake here. It's obviously not as bad as when Clyde seemingly started signing players based on their criminal history, and I'm not going to be one of these folk who start actually hoping their team lose in order to be right, but it'll be a relief when this is over.

Winning cures many ails. Any manager that wins consistently at Alloa doesn't stay here long so you can hope for that still!

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

Winning cures many ails. Any manager that wins consistently at Alloa doesn't stay here long so you can hope for that still!

It'll be like the housing ladder. Jurgen Klopp has another nightmare next season and gets paid off, so Liverpool start sniffing around Stevie G, and...

Just kidding. Nobody's getting the Liverpool job based on winning a trophy with The Rangers. Not after last time.

No luck on relegation Alloa...but I'm guessing the support are uplifted by the news Barry Ferguson is your new manager.Best of fortune in L1...(I wonder if we could entice Michael Tidser back to Cappielow....long shot...but who knows?).

My mrs cousin played under Ferguson at Clyde and absolutely raves about him as a coach. The demands and professionalism is the best he’s worked under as a part time jobber. He echoed a Clyde’s fans view on here that perhaps a stronger number 2 may have seen his Clyde stint be more successful. Malcolm at that point didn’t seem to bring much to the party. Another complaint was the lack of understanding that the squad was part time and not of the standard he had played with. Potentially could work out for Alloa.

It is a concern as these very same arguments were put forward as part of the problem with Peter Grant.

Dylan Easton and Nathan Austin would be welcome additions along with Barry Ferguson. However, I still don’t think we’d have a bigger budget than Kelty ... so who knows.

I would also suggest michael tidser could do a job for us in league 1

I'll be interested to see how he does, assuming you do appoint Barry Ferguson. He's unlikely to be the absolute disaster some would have you believe, but he's probably not the type you would choose to have at your club either.

Some Clyde fans seem to ignore that he took us to the playoff final, where we only lost by a goal. Obviously the following season went from bad to worse, but he's hardly the first manager to be unable to get a team out of a slump once they start losing.

Loads of players do seem to love him and his training. Some will sign for you just because Ferguson is your manager, whether it's because they're Rangers fans or just see him as a big name, either way, it definitely plays a part. The flip side is, he'll fall out with some players. I can't comment on Kelty, but at Clyde there were certainly some who couldn't take his constant criticism and, frankly, unrealistic expectations of players. If he's toned that done a touch he could do well. His habit of binning and replacing players at least made every transfer window interesting.

It will definitely have helped that Kelty have largely cruised through their leagues while Ferguson has been in charge. It'll be interesting to see if he's improved him management style when you hit a poorer run.

As mentioned, the main issue is Bob Malcolm. Aside from being Ferguson's friend there's no reason to have him at your club, and that's obviously no reason at all anyway. Whilst I'd usually say the manager should choose his assistant, I always felt the Clyde board should have insisted on an experienced assistant that would have helped keep Ferguson in check. If Alloa have the balls to do that, and Ferguson accepts it, it could make a big difference. 

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I always felt the Clyde board should have insisted on an experienced assistant that would have helped keep Ferguson in check. If Alloa have the balls to do that, and Ferguson accepts it, it could make a big difference. 

Usually Paddy Connolly is retained as part of the coaching team. It's been that way since he first came in with Paul Hartley ten years ago though the next five managers.

We also have a VERY experienced group of players. 

Edited by printer

Ferguson was on Go radio football show tonight and spoke very well about the job and how he's excited for the season ahead with Alloa. Said there are 10/11 players already signed up from last season and wants to add at least 7 or 8 to add to the quality thats already there. Also confirmed paddy connelly is staying in his backroom staff. 

35 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Ferguson was on Go radio football show tonight and spoke very well about the job and how he's excited for the season ahead with Alloa. Said there are 10/11 players already signed up from last season and wants to add at least 7 or 8 to add to the quality thats already there. Also confirmed paddy connelly is staying in his backroom staff. 

But is  Bob M coming with him ? , this would be breaking point for me if they do , man is someone i would not want anywhere near the club .

5 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

But is  Bob M coming with him ? , this would be breaking point for me if they do , man is someone i would not want anywhere near the club .

Said the rest of the backroom staff will be decided over the next week or so. As much as I can't stand Malcolm or the type of person he is, if Ferguson thinks it's a man that should be on his backroom staff and adds something while he's an Alloa Athletic employee I'll back him and the club 100% until he gives me a reason not too when he is working for the club. Hate to say it as I really don't like him as a person but regardless who the manager or backroom staff is I'll always back the club. 

Can I ask out of interest @whereismillar what do you mean by breaking point? Not buying a season ticket or going to game's?

1 minute ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Said the rest of the backroom staff will be decided over the next week or so. As much as I can't stand Malcolm or the type of person he is, if Ferguson thinks it's a man that should be on his backroom staff and adds something while he's an Alloa Athletic employee I'll back him and the club 100% until he gives me a reason not too when he is working for the club. Hate to say it as I really don't like him as a person but regardless who the manager or backroom staff is I'll always back the club. 

Can I ask out of interest @whereismillar what do you mean by breaking point? Not buying a season ticket or going to game's?

It's a hard one but in my heart of hearts i know i can't stay away, i just hope he !  isnt there with BF , whether i get a season ticket or not i know i will go back . most likely won't commit to a season ticket  though .