The Alloa Athletic Thread

There is obviously a chance that Ferguson realised he fell short in certain aspects of management, and felt that he needed to drop down a level to build himself back up.  

The fact he mentions "people thought I was made to come down to this level" about 400 times perhaps suggests otherwise, of course. 

49 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

As many here have said, we have had many players and management at the club that came with no pedigree or bad press from their previous clubs.

It isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Totally agree LG, Alloa existed before Mulraney and Ferguson and will be here (hopefully) after Mulraney and Ferguson, every appointment is a risk, it might work, it might not but at the end of the day the club and life moves on.

A factor here may be that his older brother seemed to have enjoyed his (short) time with us and may have influenced him in our favour.  It will be interesting to see how much he has matured since his previous notoriety.

5 hours ago, printer said:

That would be a first. 😉

I can understand the antipathy towards Barry Ferguson (both re his history and apparent management abilities), but if we are genuinely after him then I'm happy to back Mulraney's judgement.

The Rangers thing doesn't bother me, even although I detest that club and what it stands for. Any Alloa manager or player starts with a clean sheet for me.

His high profile nature is a big positive IMO, both in terms of attracting players and general coverage of our club. I appreciate that may all back fire. ☺

I think most level headed fans of most clubs can forgive people for an Old Firm tendency. Where I would struggle with Barry and his assistant Bob is that they are both abhorrent bigots. I found it hard enough to back Ian Durrant when Aitken pulled him in as our assistant and I've heard about some of the bullying that guys like these carry out. You may remember a certain Jack Aitchison rocked up at Alloa after a bizarre loan spell with us where he disappeared after a short time getting games. At our end nobody was ever told what went on, some suggested it was personal issue with Aitchison, but I later heard that Ian Durrant had been calling him "the wee tim" at training every week, rather than by name. Later that same season Durrant was in the papers for singing some sectarian shit at some sash bash down in Ayr. Malcolm is widely known for his hatred of the pope and I have it on extremely good authority that Ferguson used to bully Celtic players/Catholics on Scotland duty. They're all cut from the same cloth. 

Given that his managerial record is pretty poor, I'd be fairly annoyed if I were an Alloa fan, especially given you have the dream that is Andy Graham sitting there with his coaching badges. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think most level headed fans of most clubs can forgive people for an Old Firm tendency. Where I would struggle with Barry and his assistant Bob is that they are both abhorrent bigots. I found it hard enough to back Ian Durrant when Aitken pulled him in as our assistant and I've heard about some of the bullying that guys like these carry out. You may remember a certain Jack Aitchison rocked up at Alloa after a bizarre loan spell with us where he disappeared after a short time getting games. At our end nobody was ever told what went on, some suggested it was personal issue with Aitchison, but I later heard that Ian Durrant had been calling him "the wee tim" at training every week, rather than by name. Later that same season Durrant was in the papers for singing some sectarian shit at some sash bash down in Ayr. Malcolm is widely known for his hatred of the pope and I have it on extremely good authority that Ferguson used to bully Celtic players/Catholics on Scotland duty. They're all cut from the same cloth. 

Given that his managerial record is pretty poor, I'd be fairly annoyed if I were an Alloa fan, especially given you have the dream that is Andy Graham sitting there with his coaching badges. 

I think we all agree with you Moonster but to quote your "They're all cut from the same cloth", if i am not mistaken i think Andy Graham will be more than happy to be working with BF.

Just now, Craigy said:

I think we all agree with you Moonster but to quote your "They're all cut from the same cloth", if i am not mistaken i think Andy Graham will be more than happy to be working with BF.

Graham might be a Rangers fan but I've seen nothing from him that suggests he's a bigot. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that every Rangers fan is a bigot. Ferguson and Malcolm belong to a different breed of Rangers fan. 

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Graham might be a Rangers fan but I've seen nothing from him that suggests he's a bigot. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that every Rangers fan is a bigot. Ferguson and Malcolm belong to a different breed of Rangers fan. 

Totally agree mate no argument from me. From what i have seen and heard of AG he is the model professional and an allround sound guy, i dont think you would have found any opposition to him getting the job and to be honest there has been a bit of head scratching why he didnt.

1 hour ago, laughing gravie said:

Something that Paul Hartley showed when we were up against it in the Championship a fee seasons ago

Paul Hartley left us sitting in 6th place in the Championship with a squad weaker than the previous season in the 1st. Think his off field issues and being tapped by Dundee were his reasons to leave. 

52 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Graham's always said that he's a Morton fan, FWIW.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Graham's always said that he's a Morton fan, FWIW.

Ah, but who is his big team :whistle;)?

As a Clyde fan, I wish I had a fiver for every time I've been asked that by supporters of the Bigot Brothers.

They can't accept that you actually support a team other than one of them. You're either For them, or Against them

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Just a few years since Malcolm was hounded off Twitter for saying a Syrian refugee "deserved" to get bullied and beaten up at school.

Great guy, exactly what you want at your club.

Guest Peter LaFleur

My mrs cousin played under Ferguson at Clyde and absolutely raves about him as a coach. The demands and professionalism is the best he’s worked under as a part time jobber. He echoed a Clyde’s fans view on here that perhaps a stronger number 2 may have seen his Clyde stint be more successful. Malcolm at that point didn’t seem to bring much to the party. Another complaint was the lack of understanding that the squad was part time and not of the standard he had played with. Potentially could work out for Alloa. FWIW, her cousin is catholic and a Celtic fan 😂 Not that it should matter but seen someone mention Ferguson was a bully, which wasn’t the case for him.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

3 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

@LeodhasXD Any way if there is a media conference on Thursday morning or whenever we have a media conference to unveil a new manager it could be live streamed on you tube or something?

I'm not sure. I think I recorded the last one if memory serves. If there is a press gig it'll be done in the meeting room.

I don't know if there's a decent internet connection in there.

Edited by LeodhasXD

4 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Anyone have a rough Idea how  much Sauchie juniors season ticket costs ?

I'm consoling myself with the fact that we still haven't had the opportunity to vote the Celtgers B teams into the SPFL, which is my red line.

That and denial should get me through to the weekend. I can start drinking then, and may never stop.