The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

As per most games this season, poor defending, powder puff midfield and nothing up front. Think a big clear out is ahead....

In that case, can we have Ray Grant back please ? 

4 minutes ago, sydney said:

In that case, can we have Ray Grant back please ? 

You might regret asking that 🤐

Very flat tonight, heads went down after we conceded and all too easy for Hearts thereafter. Very unlike this Alloa team but I suspect the blow of chucking away two crucial points against Ayr then losing the crunch game at Gayfield was there to see tonight, the team knew they were done. 

Hope they can rally somewhat over the next three games. It feels like the end of an era but it's been a great Alloa side and they deserve to finish on a higher note than that. 

Difficult season for the club but over the last 4years or so those group of players have given us everything. Is it an end of a era for this group. 

If so they have given us great memories. So many players punishing above there levels every season. We need to take stock over the next few weeks and see where we go. One thing for sure we have had the best out of this group of players total commitment from the core of them. 

6 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

Difficult season for the club but over the last 4years or so those group of players have given us everything. Is it an end of a era for this group. 

If so they have given us great memories. So many players punishing above there levels every season. We need to take stock over the next few weeks and see where we go. One thing for sure we have had the best out of this group of players total commitment from the core of them. 

It's your posts that are punishing.

A performance of a team who knew they were relegated. A total lack of leadership, commitment and confidence. Over the season a number of players out their depth and other players have gone a season to far.
As for the manager his lack of knowledge of Scottish lower leagues and man management skills have become apparent over the course of the season.

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

You might regret asking that 🤐.

Does this mean he’s signing for Clyde again or he’s signing for Queen’s Park? 😢 Sorry to hear it hasn’t really worked for Ray at Alloa. He was absolutely brilliant for us. Danny Lennon seemed to know how to get the best out of him anyway.

5 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Does this mean he’s signing for Clyde again or he’s signing for Queen’s Park? 😢 Sorry to hear it hasn’t really worked for Ray at Alloa. He was absolutely brilliant for us. Danny Lennon seemed to know how to get the best out of him anyway.

I don't have any insight into where he'll be playing next season I'm afraid! I just meant that the question might provoke some more strong opinions about him. Personally I think he's a tidy enough player, just hasn't really worked out as hoped. If you're interested there is plenty of discussion over the past few pages of this thread. 

7 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Yeah in a lower league!

Last night's game was really poor, one of the worst Alloa performances I've seen for a good few years. Given how poor our defending has been this season it was always likely that we'd be getting relegated. If you concede more than 2 goals a game on average then you are almost certain to lose the vast majority of your games, regardless of how well you pass the ball about in defence and midfield.

As to whether Peter Grant should be allowed to continue in charge next season then (for me) it comes down to whether he is able to sort the defending out. It was absolutely clear that it wasn't just the back 5 that were the problem last night but also the way in which the midfield pressed the ball and matched runners. Personally I'm very sceptical of whether Grant is going to be able to sort the team out next season as I think his defensive signings have been very questionable - I'm pretty sure that all of our regular defenders were at the club before Grant arrived.

Viewed last night as a bit of a throw away to be honest, although we played poorly, I would never judge us on an away game at Hearts.

Got to say I’m looking forward to next season in all honesty, should be a decent league with the teams that are likely to be there and the thought of actually getting to go to games (no matter who they are against) excites me more than being fussed about what league we are in!

Hopefully playing teams more on our ‘level’ each week might give the team the confidence to go out and play more of the entertaining football we’ve become used to, as it’s definitely dropped a level or two this season.

Know it’s early days but any early thoughts on players likely to stay/leave?

47 minutes ago, Dink said:

Last night's game was really poor, one of the worst Alloa performances I've seen for a good few years. Given how poor our defending has been this season it was always likely that we'd be getting relegated. If you concede more than 2 goals a game on average then you are almost certain to lose the vast majority of your games, regardless of how well you pass the ball about in defence and midfield.

As to whether Peter Grant should be allowed to continue in charge next season then (for me) it comes down to whether he is able to sort the defending out. It was absolutely clear that it wasn't just the back 5 that were the problem last night but also the way in which the midfield pressed the ball and matched runners. Personally I'm very sceptical of whether Grant is going to be able to sort the team out next season as I think his defensive signings have been very questionable - I'm pretty sure that all of our regular defenders were at the club before Grant arrived.

Of course it was likely. We are one of 2 part time teams in the league with the lowest budgets, an ageing squad and poor use of the loan market in a shortened season.

I agree we pass the ball about well but have been poor at the back and pretty toothless up front.

With the exception of Hetherington, defensively the midfield have to take a lot of the blame as well. Teams defend from the front so there is a collective responsibility. Not sure how many defensive signings have played regularly. If you look at the team for most of the season it has been the tried and tested defenders there before he arrived.

I'm sure the chairman will make the right call, he usually does.

10 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Viewed last night as a bit of a throw away to be honest, although we played poorly, I would never judge us on an away game at Hearts.

Got to say I’m looking forward to next season in all honesty, should be a decent league with the teams that are likely to be there and the thought of actually getting to go to games (no matter who they are against) excites me more than being fussed about what league we are in!

Hopefully playing teams more on our ‘level’ each week might give the team the confidence to go out and play more of the entertaining football we’ve become used to, as it’s definitely dropped a level or two this season.

Know it’s early days but any early thoughts on players likely to stay/leave?

I always feel a bit of relief at dropping back down to the third tier, TBH. We're always (unsurprisingly) struggling to scrape wins together in the Championship, and you end up feeling a bit worn down by the end.

That said, there's nothing to say we wouldn't have a similar season in League One at the moment. Plenty of work to be done before the start of next season.

Edited by BFTD
Randomly posted halfway through

I always feel a bit of relief at dropping back down to the third tier, TBH. We're always (unsurprisingly) struggling to scrape wins together in the Championship, and you end up feeling a bit worn down by the end.
That said, there's nothing to say we wouldn't have a similar season in League One at the moment. Plenty of work to be done before the start of next season.

Yeah, with the teams likely to be in the League next year I would quite happily take a safe mid-table finish, maybe pushing for a playoff spot, right now.