The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 01/04/2021 at 20:41, whereismillar said:

Happy 70th Birthday to Ex Alloa player and Manager Dom sullivan

Didn't realise he runs a pub in Denny ! .

I thought Dom was about 70 when he played for us.

22 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

PG ripped the absolute piss with his decision to drop Connelly rather than Grant today. A total non-entity once again.

If he's bringing in Trouts then Connolly was the obvious one to drop. Not that I think he should have been dropped - generally we've looked more dangerous with him in attack IMO.

This is not meant to be a demeaning question in any way but what are Alloa fans consensus of bouncing straight back to the Championship (if you indeed do go down)? 

Will wholesale changes to personnel be forced? Will you be able to attract quality league 1 calibre players given your previous stature in the Championship?

It's been a fairly competitive L1 this season and not much in the top 4 clubs. Obviously the likes of Falkirk and Partick have been able to attract bigger names being full time and "bigger clubs" or so called.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

This is not meant to be a demeaning question in any way but what is Alloa fans consensus of bouncing straight back to the Championship (if you indeed do go down)? 

Will wholesale changes to personnel be forced? Will you be able to attract quality league 1 calibre players given your previous stature in the Championship?

It's been a fairly competitive L1 this season and not much in the top 4 clubs. Obviously the likes of Falkirk and Partick have been able to attract bigger names being full time and "bigger clubs" or so called.

Oh we are down mate ! nae danger , the players like parry taggart graham cawley hetherington robertson  and the young lads (unless they have had enough of grant like us )  will stay most likely as for the rest not so sure  mibbe trouten  and dick   But the chuckle brothers  (Grant and Grant jnr )  can F.R.O in my opinion  

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

Oh we are down mate ! nae danger , the players like parry taggart graham cawley hetherington robertson  and the young lads (unless they have had enough of grant like us )  will stay most likely as for the rest not so sure  mibbe trouten  and dick   But the chuckle brothers  (Grant and Grant jnr )  can F.R.O in my opinion  

I thought Cawley looked a good talent  and Hetherington seems to put in a decent shift. Some fresh faces including management will hopefully put you in good steading for a swift return.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

I thought Cawley looked a good talent  and Hetherington seems to put in a decent shift. Some fresh faces including management will hopefully put you in good steading for a swift return.

best of luck in the playoffs , your team would make a good go of the championship , that there is no doubt

14 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

best of luck in the playoffs , your team would make a good go of the championship , that there is no doubt

We have a chance in the playoffs and could come up but might be a season too soon, who knows.

Our best chance I reckon is tipping Falkirk to too spot. Tough task. We're 4 points behind, in decent form and play them at home in just over a week 🙏

Edited by CoveRangers1922

I think Grant may walk at the end of the season, especially if Howe gets the Celtic job. Clyde fans lauded Grant Jr but lets face it that may be his level. Not sure he'd hang around if his old man leaves. Strange leaving Connolly out as I think he's been decent the last few weeks. 

We have a chance in the playoffs and could come up but might be a season too soon, who knows.
Our best chance I reckon is tipping Falkirk to too spot. Tough task. We're 4 points behind, in decent form and play them at home in just over a week [emoji120]

Think the best case scenario for us would be two coming up from League 1 this year, Falkirk and yourselves. Still maintain that Cove put on the best performance I’ve seen from a visiting side at the Recs this year in the cup game.

Hopefully we keep the mainstays of the team next year, but there’s definitely a few who could easily slip in to other Championship teams, guess it depends if full-time would be for them or not.

Hopefully the youngsters stay and can get regular game time next year, could be pivotal in their development in the long term.

If he's bringing in Trouts then Connolly was the obvious one to drop. Not that I think he should have been dropped - generally we've looked more dangerous with him in attack IMO.

Yeah I totally get that from a more like for like perspective, and I would totally get the argument of keeping Grant in there to have two sitting midfielders if Grant actually did anything or had any impact on a game, but he didn’t and hasn’t for months. Trouts played well today supporting Cameron, but he honestly could have had Connelly there as well today and it wouldn’t have made an ounce of difference from a defensive midfield side - Heatherington is doing all the work in there anyway.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Who is this ^^^^ idiot?

Suspect this is a representative of the surprisingly large idiot wing of the QoS support. 

I was happy enough to see Trouts come back in today although I'd rather have seen Grant Jnr drop out. Not that I'm anti Grant Jnr - he put through some nice balls again today - but it was the kind of day when Hetherington and Robertson would have given us a much needed strong centre midfield axis.

Connolly is an interesting one as he isn't fantastic but is the closest we have to a quick and direct attacking option (since we didn't sign anyone else) . Yet he sat on the bench for months. Similarly Thommo hasn't been seen for weeks then when we are desperate today he goes on ahead of Connolly, Scougall and Buchs who have all been involved of late. The manager has had some bad lack with injuries but he has struggled to find the right formation and balance. Don't think he knows his best team yet. He has also failed to exploit the loan market well enough. Such a crucial market for Alloa in recent times in elevating the strong nucleus we have to another level, and more important than ever this season when that nucleus was showing signs of wear and tear. The excuse of Covid making loans tough doesn't really stand up when other part time sides got decent loans in. 

Most frustrating thing for me was that despite all the daft goals we gave away and disjointed performances, we weren't far away. We should have won last week. Despite an insipid showing today we had great chances to go ahead in the second half. We could easily have been sitting 9th tonight. The league is shite this season and it has been a missed opportunity. 

As Father Barry said before the game it looks like a big rebuild is looming. We'll have to see who stays and who goes. There are a number who are capable of staying at this level if they want to. Lot will probably depend on who the manager is. I don't think PG had a horrific season despite the mistakes he made but I'm not at all convinced he is the man for the rebuild and I'd probably favour a new start. 

Important to say too that the effort and spirit of the team can never be questioned. A brilliant group of players who have given us so many great days and earned their place in Alloa history.