The Alloa Athletic Thread

i am hoping Grant had some sort of clause in his contract to keep us up or go , yes clutching at straws here , we really need a new start as waspie says

i fear a few players will move on , some will be missed some not so  .

Edited by whereismillar

Well, everyone will be on one year rolling contracts. So won’t be any clauses, will just be a case if he fancies it or not next season. Can’t see Mulraney stepping in. 

Whatever happens managerial wise, there will probably be a changing of the guard in regards to the squad. As mentioned before, does feel like the end of an era. It’s not worked really at all this season. Glimmers of brilliance but never consistent and not enough unfortunately. It’s not been for the want of trying and you can definitely see that when watching the games. Was disappointed today but really, it’s bigger than today. 

Signings like Scougall haven’t worked, Covid has played havoc in the loan market, Cameron coming in January rather than the summer, injuries and some personnel choices in the team. 

17 hours ago, whereismillar said:

i am hoping Grant had some sort of clause in his contract to keep us up or go , yes clutching at straws here , we really need a new start as waspie says

i fear a few players will move on , some will be missed some not so  .

If we do go down I woukd keep the Gaffer and let him try and get us back up. Its been a difficult season for us with a thin thin squad. 90% the same 11 every week. We have struggled to score goals at same time can't keep clean sheets. It's going to be difficult getting back up with a few good full time clubs throwing cash at it next season. 

Not even going to take your opinion seriously , you are too close to the club to make a neutral and fair opinion 

he has made an Arse of it this season, the good end to last season was a flash in the pan IMO , i have a genuine fear if he stays 

and wont be renewing my season ticket if he does  , on that note i will continue to spend money at the club but i will not make a long term commitment with him in charge 

just in case . 

I too thought it was weird that he threw Thomson on yesterday after a lengthy stint in cold storage. But then I recalled that he was a very late substitute against Arbroath in the previous game between the clubs at the recs. And after his introduction Cameron equalised right at the death. So I give him the benefit of the doubt for that one.

Theres definitely been mistakes this season, and at times the manager has cut a frustrated figure on the touchline. But I generally think that we are where we are because loss of Flannigan was far greater than anticipated, and more importantly a previously solid defence has leaked goals all season.

The Ray Grant stuff is pretty boring. Hes had some good games, hasn't been our best player but also not our worst this season. Mitigating circumstances of course, but Andy Graham is one example of a player who just hasn't hit his regular heights. 

I've also felt sorry for Robertson all season. Hes had a few bad games but hes not a right back and we really should have scoured the market in the window. By that time the manager had made up his mind about cementing Taggart at centre half. Robbo showed his class in the win over Queens, a brilliant player I would love to see remaining at the club.

To date I think the managers signings have had far more successes than failures. For me it's not right to say that the form last season was a flash in the pan at all.

Like Waspie not sure in terms of what we do in summer. Certainly not getting the pitchforks out for the guy, and I guess it depends on whether he wants to stay and also who is available.

Andy Graham would be popular with the fans, but I dont know if hes ready to make that step up or indeed if hes ready for it. We would have to give Andy at least a couple of seasons I think, not sure if some have the patience for that.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

1 hour ago, Redwedge77 said:

Just putting 2 and 2 together probably like many. Don't think the Celtic fans will be to chuffed though.

To be fair it's been a tough year for all clubs. He has had to contend with the loss of Flannigan, probably the smallest budget, lack of loanees and unfortunately an ageing squad. I see major change ahead on squad front and perhaps a year or two of transition, sorry to profiteer doom.

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I too thought it was weird that he threw Thomson on yesterday after a lengthy stint in cold storage. But then I recalled that he was a very late substitute against Arbroath in the previous game between the clubs at the recs. And after his introduction Cameron equalised right at the death. So I give him the benefit of the doubt for that one.

Theres definitely been mistakes this season, and at times the manager has cut a frustrated figure on the touchline. But I generally think that we are where we are because loss of Flannigan was far greater than anticipated, and more importantly a previously solid defence has leaked goals all season.

The Ray Grant stuff is pretty boring. Hes had some good games, hasn't been our best player but also not our worst this season. Mitigating circumstances of course, but Andy Graham is one example of a player who just hasn't hit his regular heights. 

I've also felt sorry for Robertson all season. Hes had a few bad games but hes not a right back and we really should have scoured the market in the window. By that time the manager had made up his mind about cementing Taggart at centre half. Robbo showed his class in the win over Queens, a brilliant player I would love to see remaining at the club.

To date I think the managers signings have had far more successes than failures. For me it's not right to say that the form last season was a flash in the pan at all.

Like Waspie not sure in terms of what we do in summer. Certainly not getting the pitchforks out for the guy, and I guess it depends on whether he wants to stay and also who is available.

Andy Graham would be popular with the fans, but I dont know if hes ready to make that step up or indeed if hes ready for it. We would have to give Andy at least a couple of seasons I think, not sure if some have the patience for that.

At last a sensible post. The witch hunt for Grant's head is almost on an Old Firm level of overreaction. 

He did a fantastic job last season considering Goodwin left us in the summer and with half a squad. We played our best football since Jack Ross and were flying when the lockdown ended things. What followed would have been a nightmare for any manager in the league, even more so when you have the smallest budget. His hands were tied by the chairman offering the squad new contracts in order to get furlough assistance, so no real chance to clear out 4 or 5 of them and get replacements in. We then lost O'Hara, Flannigan, Deas and Banks, none of whom are easy to replace. We tried to get Innes Cameron at the start of the season, only for Ayr to step in and bench him for 3 months. This season has seen us lose Graham, Parry and Taggart for spells and never really had a settled team, with a number of individual errors costing us points. Despite this we reached the cup quarter finals and with 10 minutes to go yesterday we were pushing for a winner that would have left us 1 point off the play-off position with 4 games to go in a shortened season. 

I've witnessed a hell of a lot of relegations and managers over the years, but certainly wouldn't put this one or manager in the same boat as them. We started with the smallest budget, weakest squad and were favourites to finish bottom. 

There needs to be a few new faces over the summer, so give him the chance to have his first proper summer of rebuilding and take it from there. Though if he makes Geoff Mitchell his first signing he can bolt.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

But I generally think that we are where we are because loss of Flannigan was far greater than anticipated, and more importantly a previously solid defence has leaked goals all season.

Andy Graham is one example of a player who just hasn't hit his regular heights. 

Andy Graham would be popular with the fans, but I dont know if hes ready to make that step up or indeed if hes ready for it.

Yeah, although we struggled for goals before Cameron signed, overall we have scored enough goals (eight more than both Arbroath & Morton, plus only one less than Ayr and ICT) and our poor defensive record ( twenty-three more goals conceded than Arbroath!) is what has ultimately done for us. Not that we are down yet!

No one factor for this, but clearly Graham and Parry didn't reach their usual high standards, Jamieson wasn't up to the mark (although I think he could do well for us in league one) necessitating Taggs not playing right back and the defensive cover from midfield was poor at times. Certainly the manager has to shoulder a lot of the blame for not effectively addressing these issues.

Must admit I'm not sure about Andy as manager. Seems too decent a bloke. 😉 Maybe Andy and Buchs as a dream team?

We still have the nucleus of a very good league one team/squad. Three or four of the right quality signings and we'll be competitive at the right end of the table IMO. That's six of the last eight seasons we have been in the Championship - great times to be an Alloa fan and no real reasons to be negative.

Edited by printer

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The Ray Grant stuff is pretty boring. Hes had some good games, hasn't been our best player but also not our worst this season. 

Agree with pretty much everything from Father Barry, Tam and printer. And agree that the Ray Grant stuff is boring ..but I'm going to add to it anyway. He's an easy scapegoat to some as the manager's son but it's also been unfortunate that he ended up becoming almost a straight swap for Flanny. Think everyone agreed last summer that we wouldn't be able to get a like for like replacement in the same class - even had we managed to get Banks back or someone like that - and that we'd need to find different ways to try and fill the gap. Unfortunately that didn't happen for various reasons and Grant slotted into the same role as Flanny but with a reduced supporting cast. And he had a better first season at Alloa than Flanny had, but he could never ever replace the player Flanny had become for us. An unfortunate situation made more awkward for some by who his dad is. Ray Grant is a good footballer. 

1 hour ago, printer said:

😉That's six of the last eight seasons we have been in the Championship - great times to be an Alloa fan and no real reasons to be negative.

And this 100%. We've been spoiled massively over the past decade. I never expected the golden era to last this long. Maybe it isn't over yet. The club have given us so much over that time that talk of boycotting season tickets is crazy to me, even without the very significant added issue of them really needing support in these exceptionally difficult times. To me that's the kind of thing you might consider when a club is in crisis or being chronically mismanaged. Certainly not after years of punching above our weight. And there are good arguments for and against keeping Grant, it is in no way a case of saying he has been horrific and should be chased. Everyone has to decide themselves how they spend their money but I hope all Alloa fans who can afford to will support the club financially as much as they can, regardless of where we are next season and whoever the manager is. 

And let's face it, Hearts, Morton and Dunfermline are shite. That just leaves Raith and we are due a result against them. 12 points and PG might well be on for manager of the year. 

Edited by Waspie

2 hours ago, Tamhain said:

Though if he makes Geoff Mitchell his first signing he can bolt.

I occasionally wonder what big Geoff's up to these days. Usually when I need to clean under the fridge.

Would be hilarious at this point to go out and beat the league winners, the runners up, the basket cases and seemingly our perennial failure neighbours.

I remember saying we were dead and buried under Goodwin only to eat my words when we won 4 on the bounce.

Think much of my frustration surrounding Ray Grant is the fact it’s the one position on the pitch where we have actually had lots of depth to replace him - Scougall, Murray, Robertson, O’Donnell and Trouts (to an extent) could have replaced him. Maybe a period out of the team using him as a sub may have benefited him in the long term, we’ll never know.

Flannigan has without doubt being a massive miss this season. The quality of our football hasn’t been nearly as good this year and that definitely stems from not having him there controlling games and dictating the game when we have possession.

Agree there’s the basis of a very good League 1 squad there, so will be interesting who stays and goes. Could end up being a blessing in disguise for players like Williamson, Jamieson, Lynch, O’Donnell etc.

If the majority of the squad did stay, then I wouldn’t really be against PG being kept on to have a crack at League 1. The fear for me would be if he has to rebuild the majority of the squad, then I’d have concerns.

Always begs the question who do you replace him with, and I don’t think I could name anyone who immediately springs to mind for that to be honest. Might be better the devil you know?

Can anyone tell me who were the Alloa scorers for the Clyde game (last match at Shawfield) in April 1986.  I was there, I got the programme, but never made a note of the Alloa scorers (or whether there any team changes).  In my dotage, I'm reminiscing about the first League match I ever went to and would love to fill in the blanks ! 

Edited by Bald Reynard

Can anyone tell me who were the Alloa scorers for the Clyde game (last match at Shawfield) in April 1986.  I was there, I got the programme, but never made a note of the Alloa scorers (or whether there any team changes).  In my dotage, I'm reminiscing about the first League match I ever went to and would love to fill in the blanks ! 

Garry Murray scored last in a 4-2 defeat. Murray got the last ever goal there . Can’t remember who got the first for us. Murray emigrated to Australia afterwards and later came back to play with the shire.

5 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Garry Murray scored last in a 4-2 defeat. Murray got the last ever goal there . Can’t remember who got the first for us. Murray emigrated to Australia afterwards and later came back to play with the shire.

The Herald did have a report.

gherald 290486.PNG

Thanks for the info Redwedge.  The Herald report (provided by Magyar1) gives a different goalscoring sequence.  That agrees it was an Alloa scorer, but implies it was Angus Smith, not Gary Murray.  Of course, an Alloa fan might be a much better guide on such things, than a Herald reporter (who probably was a Rutherglen boy !) - so I'll go with your memory, not their report !  And the fact that you obviously followed Murray's career, gives me much more confidence that you will have remembered if he got that goal !

Edited by Bald Reynard