The Alloa Athletic Thread

Yes, today was totally ugh. So frustrating. Things look a bit gloom just now but this is far from over. I remember this time last year highlighting tweets that said we were doomed and Grant out before February hit. Don’t get me wrong, next few games are massive. 

You’re right, we aren’t a million miles away. We play attractive football, Alloa have always been easy on the eye. We just aren’t ruthless enough in both boxes. Give away silly goals like the penalty today too and shoot ourselves in the foot. 

Think it’s very harsh to pull out names like Adam Brown, who has been a good option and squad player throughout his Alloa career. Injured much of this season, however. We would be a lot worse off without Thomson’s goals too. I do agree Buchanan is probably past it though. Grant’s signings have been largely ok I think. O’Hara did well when nobody thought he would. Nicky Jamieson looks very assured at this level. Stefan Scougall too when fit. Thought Innes Cameron was encouraging today with his little game time considered. He needs help though. 

We could some directness and pace on the wings. Will we get it? It won’t be for the want of trying. We are bit too dilly-dally and trying to pass it in at times. Need a Zanatta esque signing who is just going to bomb at defenders and fire a shot or the ball across goal. Big week for the recruitment, one last roll at the dice, before some big games.

Edited by KierenAAFC

8 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Think it’s very harsh to pull out names like Adam Brown, who has been a good option and squad player throughout his Alloa career. Injured much of this season, however. We would be a lot worse off without Thomson’s goals too. I do agree Buchanan is probably past it though. Grant’s signings have been largely ok I think. O’Hara did well when nobody thought he would. Nicky Jamieson looks very assured at this level. Stefan Scougall too when fit. Thought Innes Cameron was encouraging today with his little game time considered. He needs help though. 

Not harsh its all about opinions, you have every right to defend Adam Brown and any other Alloa player you want to. It is not some kind of vandetta against Adam but I just think he was a poor signing by Jim Goodwin and while he improved last season scoring the goal of the season v Dunfermline but for me shouldn't have been retained. 

Big Bob has done quite well this season but like Liam they are not good enough to be starters in the Championship and their goals record over the last two seasons supports that. 

Agree with you about O'Hara, after a poor start he was excellent for us. Getting Banks, Deas and McDonald on loan was inspired and in the last game against Caley we were outstanding. 

His signings this season have been largely poor. Jamieson looks decent although didn't have a good game today. Ray Grant has been largely ineffective, Murray a brilliant free kick goal aside has been poor, Lynch in the few games I have seen him looks out of his depth and Connelly I don't think has been given much of a chance. Stefan Scougall has been a very good player and could be again if we could get him fit. 

On Saturday I would play O'Donnell again, was impressed with his performances and gives us a bit more directness. 

Still not too late to save this but the next two games are crucial and hopefully we can win both. 

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

Murray a brilliant free kick goal aside has been poor,

I saw him play for the Hibs youth team a few times alongside the likes of Gullan and thought he showed up really well. I noticed he was on the bench yesterday but never got on. Is it just not happening for him, found his level? Genuinely interested.

53 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I saw him play for the Hibs youth team a few times alongside the likes of Gullan and thought he showed up really well. I noticed he was on the bench yesterday but never got on. Is it just not happening for him, found his level? Genuinely interested.

Others might disagree but I would say he looks fairly disinterested and not even sure that Championship is his level. Scored a brilliant free kick against Inverness but that aside has gone missing in games. 

I like Innes Murray. I'm not sure he is best suited to the three behind the striker where we have tended to use him though. His best performances IMO were when he played centrally in the deeper two with Stevie Hetherington. Possibly an awkward fact for the manager, but he played there in the two league games we won and when Ray Grant was unavailable. That's not to say Ray isn't a really tidy player. Another we need to get more out of. 

In general I think the signings have been ok. The issue is the players we didn't sign. The last couple of years the right loans have come into the existing solid group and with pace and creativity have elevated the whole thing up a level or two. Hastie, Zanatta, Banks etc. We haven't got anybody like that this season. 

A very frustrating game yesterday. I thought that we played pretty well for large parts of the game but I never felt confident that we'd score (it took a piece of brilliance from Trouten) and I thought that Ayr looked dangerous throughout. There's a lot like about the way that we play but when you're struggling to score goals and regularly conceding then there's not much point in being easy on the eye in possession. Hopefully that's something the manager will be able to fix with a couple of late loan signings but I fear that's not going to be easy this year.

There are some real issues this seadon. We seem to be regularly playing players out of position - right back in particular being an issue.

Also we retained players who were unlikely to be good enough to keep us up. The scoring record of the front players that we kept from last season (Trouten excepted) was not good enough to think that they'd be a success this year.

Fingers crossed we get things sorted as there is a good team somewhere in there, but at the moment we look like it's going to be a real struggle to stay up.

Hows Ray Grant getting on

Tidy player, plays every week alongside Steven Hetherington at the base of the midfield. It’s maybe hard to give an overall verdict due to our poor form this season, we are leaking a lot of goals and I guess some of the responsibility has to be on the defensive midfielders to stop that.
Regardless of that though, he’s a classy footballer and often the one to put his foot on the ball and get us playing.

15 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

If Clyde stay in  league 1 you might see him back at broadwood next season  ..............................................  most likely

Agree, not good enough at championship level for me, him n hetherington are too similar and we need more going forward from one o them and hetheringtons the better player. Missing flannagan more than I thought they would 

Was really pleased when we signed Ray Grant as had always thought he looked a great player at Clyde but have been really disappointed with him. We’ve only got 2 wins in the league this season and he didn’t feature in either, don’t think that’s a coincidence. Gives the ball away too often and doesn’t defend well enough for me. If the manager is planning on using Lynch at RB until taggart is back I’d be tempted to try robbo in beside hetherington to see how that goes.