The Alloa Athletic Thread

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not entirely sure what our friends in Edinburgh are complaining about here, but the mention of ISDN takes me back. Has to be about twenty years since I upgraded from that due to it being shit. Mental to think that some folk are still using it.

ISDN might be old but it provides a good quality line and crucially, it very rarely drops off. The internet based alternatives are getting better but still aren't as reliable, hence lots of broadcasters will still be using ISDN. 

Very hard game in prospect today. Hearts looking stronger than the last time with the addition of Mackay Steven whereas we are probably weaker with a few injuries. Going by the comments in the Advertiser through the week it seems that Trouts is out again which would be a blow. Still feel it was a questionable call last week to play him and Scougall as well as  some other players who were carrying knocks. The manager could argue that we were close to a tie with Rangers but in this strange season, and at this point of this strange season, the league is more important. Don't think we should have risked anybody in the cup who then might miss key games in the weeks ahead. 

33 minutes ago, Waspie said:

ISDN might be old but it provides a good quality line and crucially, it very rarely drops off. The internet based alternatives are getting better but still aren't as reliable, hence lots of broadcasters will still be using ISDN. 

Very hard game in prospect today. Hearts looking stronger than the last time with the addition of Mackay Steven whereas we are probably weaker with a few injuries. Going by the comments in the Advertiser through the week it seems that Trouts is out again which would be a blow. Still feel it was a questionable call last week to play him and Scougall as well as  some other players who were carrying knocks. The manager could argue that we were close to a tie with Rangers but in this strange season, and at this point of this strange season, the league is more important. Don't think we should have risked anybody in the cup who then might miss key games in the weeks ahead. 

That was maybe true ten years ago but it's getting phased out. BT are not installing any new ones and as mentioned in that article by 2025 all the existing ones will be gone. Our fibre line is signifcantly more robust based on the abuse those isdn boxes take.

Out of Hearts, Dunfermline, Raith and Ayr who've done audio commentary from Alloa, I think Hearts are the only team still using it.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

That was maybe true ten years ago but it's getting phased out. BT are not installing any new ones and as mentioned in that article by 2025 all the existing ones will be gone. Our fibre line is signifcantly more robust based on the abuse those isdn boxes take.

Out of Hearts, Dunfermline, Raith and Ayr who've done audio commentary from Alloa, I think Hearts are the only team still using it.

Indeed. They have been phasing it out for years and intended it to be pretty much gone by now. But I've seen a few of the intended replacements come and go because they simply aren't as good or as reliable. That's why ISDN is clinging on in broadcasting, and will cling on for a while yet. 

Anyway, Mon the Wasps. 

It’s a really unfortunate reality that over the last two seasons we can’t rely on Parry to play every week due to his injuries. We struck gold with McDonald last season and seen just how important it is to have a strong replacement, hopefully Wright gives us that.

When Parry is fit, can Wright play anywhere in the front 4?[emoji848]

29 minutes ago, Barneyw said:

It’s a really unfortunate reality that over the last two seasons we can’t rely on Parry to play every week due to his injuries. We struck gold with McDonald last season and seen just how important it is to have a strong replacement, hopefully Wright gives us that.

When Parry is fit, can Wright play anywhere in the front 4?emoji848.png

I hear he's better than David James up front.

Thought we played well today. So important to stay in that kind of game and we were doing fine at 0-0 until Irving came up with a great strike from distance, albeit we could probably have closed him down a bit better. Key then was getting to h/t at 1-0 so disappointing we switched off right at the end, although it was a great cross and finish. 2-0 was harsh based on the first 45.

Players deserve a lot of credit for keeping going in the second half when Hearts might have run away with it. Shame the goal came so late but it was a good one and fitting that Kev got it. You knew when we lost the ball at the the death that Parry would never make it back down the park in time!

Hetherington was excellent today I thought, great mix of tough tackling, quick feet and passing. King Kev always in the thick of it, and a very assured performance by young Williamson at LB. Unfortunate that it ended with a red card. But the whole team put in a decent shift today, much better than last week. 

One other thing I've noticed this season is the poor quality of our set pieces. So many corners and free kicks that end up offering no threat. Something that needs to be addressed. 

Was good to hear mention of Spider on the excellent comms. Fitting too as he also marked a milestone appearance for Alloa with a diving header! Should say too that my stream ran perfectly for the whole game. 

Edited by Waspie

Thought we played well today. So important to stay in that kind of game and we were doing fine at 0-0 until Irving came up with a great strike from distance, albeit we could probably have closed him down a bit better. Key then was getting to h/t at 1-0 so disappointing we switched off right at the end, although it was a great cross and finish. 2-0 was harsh based on the first 45.
Players deserve a lot of credit for keeping going in the second half when Hearts might have run away with it. Shame the goal came so late but it was a good one and fitting that Kev got it. You knew when we lost the ball at the the death that Parry would never make it back down the park in time!
Hetherington was excellent today I thought, great mix of tough tackling, quick feet and passing. King Kev always in the thick of it, and a very assured performance by young Williamson at LB. Unfortunate that it ended with a red card. But the whole team put in a decent shift today, much better than last week. 
One other thing I've noticed this season is the poor quality of our set pieces. So many corners and free kicks that end up offering no threat. Something that needs to be addressed. 
Was good to hear mention of Spider on the excellent comms. Fitting too as he also marked a milestone appearance for Alloa with a diving header! Should say too that my stream ran perfectly for the whole game. 

Perfect summary for me.

Heatherington was immense today, as he has been all season to be fair.

Definitely needed to be closing down for their first (cracking strike though) and Robbo and others napping for the second, but could have easily collapsed in the second half as opposed to actually battling our way back in to it.

Cracking header from Kev, carbon copy of a winner he got last year if I remember right.

Williamson played really well defensively and didn’t look overawed at all, albeit quite wasteful going forward, but overall had a solid game. Did he say something to the ref for his second yellow? Cause if it was given for the foul that’s a ludicrous decision.

After a couple of months of not really getting the passing game together I thought today was much better in that regard and was a decent enough performance.

As usual, need something upfront, Thomson was a passenger today. I can’t understand why he gets himself caught offside so often, he’s not exactly built to be playing on the shoulder of the defender with lightning pace!!!

4 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I switched off because I saw him win the header. Bizarre booking.

Looked like a dangerous challenge to me, jumped aggressively at the Hearts player. Will wait to see the highlights to be sure.

17 minutes ago, printer said:

Looked like a dangerous challenge to me, jumped aggressively at the Hearts player. Will wait to see the highlights to be sure.

looked like an elbow to me, could be wrong , not a fan of the keeper going up last gasp i wonder what the success rate is there .

as for the game , better but still poor in the opposition half . we really have had bad luck with injuries Liam dick out today too , we could do with a break ..

Just now, whereismillar said:

looked like an elbow to me, could be wrong , not a fan of the keeper going up last gasp i wonder what the success rate is there .

as for the game , better but still poor in the opposition half . we really have had bad luck with injuries Liam dick out today too , we could do with a break ..

It's not. It'll be up at midnight. I think Mackay-Steven tries to make it look like it, going down holding his face. It's not even a bad coming together.

Since no one bothered with a thread

After watching that I think the first yellow card was fair enough but the second one is ridiculous.
Also, I’m disappointed in the decision to send Parry up - romantic notions aside,
It hardly ever brings any benefit and ultimately cost us our slim chance of grabbing a point.

We seem to have put the stream issues to bed, mine was flawless today. Full credit [mention]LeodhasXD [/mention]

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

It's not. It'll be up at midnight. I think Mackay-Steven tries to make it look like it, going down holding his face. It's not even a bad coming together.

Its a clear foul. I dont think it has to be a yellow card, particularly when it leads to a red, but its definitely a foul. He's trying to head it but misses the header and barrels through Mackay-Steven while the ball hits him in the shoulder / arm.