The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

Hope so, the commentary being a few seconds ahead has been a pain in the arse the last few weeks!

The highlights is what I hear (and what gets sent to wyscout as I didn't record it this week). It's a fraction of a second fast but it's barely noticeable.

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Favourite bit of tonight - Who would you fight. - thanks to Roachy for this tangent - it made my night.

The "low centre of gravity" is undoubtedly the best line of that exchange 😆

12 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Our commentary from the start of the season with @KierenAAFC and @LeodhasXD has been brilliant but @Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) on co-commentary takes it to a new level, absolutely brilliant today and hope this is a regular thing. Although if Inverness equalised roachy was getting the blame. " this suits us sitting deep and clearing up, Big Andy strolling it in there" I was just waiting on an equaliser after that statement 😂😂

Would love to have seen about 10 replays of Murrays free kick though, what a beauty!

Thanks mate, kind words. I was same, thought I'd blown that too, especially when they fired one across the face of the goal right at the end 😄

Just out of curiosity Alloa fans as unfortunately with us injury ruined what looked like a great future career at a far higher level than we were( and at the time he was with us, we were a division higher than we are now) but how is Liam Buchanan for you guys nowadays?

im aware he is 35, so getting on a wee bit but does he still feature much, score many goals, assists etc? 
thanks for any replies in advance 

Cheers Liam! Enjoyed listening to the duo of Lewis and Brian on Saturday from my isolation pit. Unfortunately for all, I’ll be back on Saturday! Haha. 

We had a co-comm lined up for Raith game for a few weeks now so I’ll be joined by Ben this weekend who I’m sure will offer good craic. After that, I’m hoping Brian will be become a permanent fixture! We need that pro-Alloa chat and stories. 

11 hours ago, third lanark said:

Just out of curiosity Alloa fans as unfortunately with us injury ruined what looked like a great future career at a far higher level than we were( and at the time he was with us, we were a division higher than we are now) but how is Liam Buchanan for you guys nowadays?

im aware he is 35, so getting on a wee bit but does he still feature much, score many goals, assists etc? 
thanks for any replies in advance 

had his best game for us since returning (well timed question ) imo against ICT just there, also instead of coming off the bench has started for us last 3 games 

his experience quite valuable ..

Raith certainly deserved to win today but it was a strange old game, they ended up scoring almost every effort they had on target. And three of those at the end when the game was wide open. I was more disappointed with the poor goals conceded in the first half when we weren't under any real pressure. We have issues scoring and if we are losing goals without making the opposition work for them we have no chance.

Overall I think we can be pretty happy to be eighth after a third of the season. 6 defeats is disappointing but we've had issues with key players missing and a lack of cutting edge that I think we all worried about pre season. In those circumstances it is a decent effort to not be cut off at this stage. The general standard in the league isn't great either. The only team that look clearly better than the rest is Hearts, and we still managed to beat them in a cup match. As such, plenty of hope that we can pick up points. 

To do that we need a bit more luck with injuries to key men. Taggart, Trouten and Scougall were missed today then Parry went off. Have to hope Parry in particular isn't badly injured as he is crucial to our prospects. And clearly it is imperative that the manager strengthens our options in attack, as we all predicted before a ball was kicked. We need pace there. But overall there is hope for the months ahead. 

Merry Christmas to Wasps everywhere. 

Can I get some feedback on the stream? Preferrably from people who watch every week. Was the buffering worse this week? In terms of complaints it seems to be the normal percentage of those who watch who couldn't get it working.

People had said it buffered - but apart from waiting 30 seconds at the beginning for the game to output it worked all the way through from me. It's a nightmare to diagnose where the problems with that come from.

In the first half the pixellot source was running through VLC player which was necessary to get sound and it was lagging at my end so I had to change to the manual camera - which itself was only planned to be used for the closeups and obviously not in the best position to see the action. The horrible weather didn't help on that front as I can't quickly move the stuff into shelter, so it was a row up from where I'd be ideally positioned.

In the second, I changed from VLC to running from a different source that worked better to my eye. Ideally I wanted a main camera (pixellot) and the manual camera for a second angle... but the way that pixellot works is incompatible with adding other cameras though - if Pixellot loses a frame it'll jump to the next available one at the beginning there's a 4 second odd buffer that it eats into. Traditional camera losing a frame won't matter because they capture timecode based.  Over the 90 minutes it was almost 2 and a half seconds gained on the manual camera. I don't have a solution to synchronising it mid game. Pretty demoralised about that as it makes the operation a lot more complicated and pretty much means pixellot or nothing.

On the buffering end I'm fairly sure that it's the last step of the journey and it's the OTT from Univtec that's the problem. I can't diagnose it myself as my stream in the ground, monitoring on the laptop, worked all the way through the game at an acceptable quality. The one on my phone on the 4g worked until it ran out of battery about 30 minutes in. Diagnosing everyone's personal setup and why it may not have worked is fairly impossible.

But if people preferred to watch the manual camera over the pixellot camera that's something I can consider. Obviously I can sort an unobstructed view with a bit more time.

I connected at 2:45, and it was fine. Good picture, sound likewise, but no commentary. At 3:10 the stream dropped and when I reconnected, the commentary suddenly kicked in!

I didn't have a lot of buffering problems this week, but the stream dropped altogether a few times. If you check the match thread, I posted when it happened, primarily in case it was useful for you. It didn't seem to be happening for everyone. The picture was worse in the second half; looked like an old-school 360p YouTube video. These days, I'm just happy to be able to see us doing anything, to be honest. It's definitely improving week-on-week.

Apologies for the arse-kissery, but I've been enjoying the commentary. Good job. Also, the half-time multiball freakout from the Pixellot camera was class  :thumsup2

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I connected at 2:45, and it was fine. Good picture, sound likewise, but no commentary. At 3:10 the stream dropped and when I reconnected, the commentary suddenly kicked in!

I didn't have a lot of buffering problems this week, but the stream dropped altogether a few times. If you check the match thread, I posted when it happened, primarily in case it was useful for you. It didn't seem to be happening for everyone. The picture was worse in the second half; looked like an old-school 360p YouTube video. These days, I'm just happy to be able to see us doing anything, to be honest. It's definitely improving week-on-week.

Apologies for the arse-kissery, but I've been enjoying the commentary. Good job. Also, the half-time multiball freakout from the Pixellot camera was class  :thumsup2

They were fixing something at half time on the camera - I wasn't in the loop for it so I don't know what the problem they were having was but it needed them to ditch the joystick for a bit.

The first half picture was from the manual camera - it's definitely better. I probably need a volunteer to control the camera if I do that in the future as I accidentally restarted the timer for the scoreboard and then couldn't fix it as I was operating the camera during the half.

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

They were fixing something at half time on the camera - I wasn't in the loop for it so I don't know what the problem they were having was but it needed them to ditch the joystick for a bit.

The first half picture was from the manual camera - it's definitely better. I probably need a volunteer to control the camera if I do that in the future as I accidentally restarted the timer for the scoreboard and then couldn't fix it as I was operating the camera during the half.

Half-time was fun - camera pinging all over the place as it tried to cope with all the balls flying about. Good to see even robots have an exercise routine.

I forgot about the timer, but most of us are used to checking watches/phones during the game anyway.

Can I get some feedback on the stream? Preferrably from people who watch every week. Was the buffering worse this week? In terms of complaints it seems to be the normal percentage of those who watch who couldn't get it working.
People had said it buffered - but apart from waiting 30 seconds at the beginning for the game to output it worked all the way through from me. It's a nightmare to diagnose where the problems with that come from.
In the first half the pixellot source was running through VLC player which was necessary to get sound and it was lagging at my end so I had to change to the manual camera - which itself was only planned to be used for the closeups and obviously not in the best position to see the action. The horrible weather didn't help on that front as I can't quickly move the stuff into shelter, so it was a row up from where I'd be ideally positioned.
In the second, I changed from VLC to running from a different source that worked better to my eye. Ideally I wanted a main camera (pixellot) and the manual camera for a second angle... but the way that pixellot works is incompatible with adding other cameras though - if Pixellot loses a frame it'll jump to the next available one at the beginning there's a 4 second odd buffer that it eats into. Traditional camera losing a frame won't matter because they capture timecode based.  Over the 90 minutes it was almost 2 and a half seconds gained on the manual camera. I don't have a solution to synchronising it mid game. Pretty demoralised about that as it makes the operation a lot more complicated and pretty much means pixellot or nothing.
On the buffering end I'm fairly sure that it's the last step of the journey and it's the OTT from Univtec that's the problem. I can't diagnose it myself as my stream in the ground, monitoring on the laptop, worked all the way through the game at an acceptable quality. The one on my phone on the 4g worked until it ran out of battery about 30 minutes in. Diagnosing everyone's personal setup and why it may not have worked is fairly impossible.
But if people preferred to watch the manual camera over the pixellot camera that's something I can consider. Obviously I can sort an unobstructed view with a bit more time.

I missed the first 20 minutes on Saturday and had trouble getting it to play once i joined, just had a loading circle for about 5 minutes and no joy when i refreshed the page. Once it got going i had no more issues and it worked really well.
I know the consensus was that the stream was terrible for the Ayr game. Mine was really bad - unwatchable at times - but my dad’s stream was flawless and i ended up watching his stream via facetime. I generally have good wi-fi so i couldn’t work out why mine would be worse than his. I’m a bit of technophobe when it comes to this kind of thing, so can’t offer anything more specific unfortunately.
In general though i think Saturday’s stream was much better than the Ayr and Dunfermline games - the Inverness game worked pretty well for me.

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Stream didn't buffer but did drop out completely a couple of times, thought the 2nd camera was actually better than the usual pixellot camera, 1st half picture was ok , 2nd half was very pixelated and as BFTD says it was like an old 360p YouTube video, the commentary was the usual couple of seconds out but not a big deal , First half also had no time but again no big deal thought having replays was very good and good to see the 1st half goals at half time. Commentary by @KierenAAFC was class again. As much as Ben slotted in seamlessly and done very well, there's no comparison with @Father Barrys Sign (Top Half), keep up the good work, it can't be easy but apart from the picture quality this week i did like the 2nd camera and replays.

51 minutes ago, Barneyw said:

I missed the first 20 minutes on Saturday and had trouble getting it to play once i joined, just had a loading circle for about 5 minutes and no joy when i refreshed the page. Once it got going i had no more issues and it worked really well.
I know the consensus was that the stream was terrible for the Ayr game. Mine was really bad - unwatchable at times - but my dad’s stream was flawless and i ended up watching his stream via facetime. I generally have good wi-fi so i couldn’t work out why mine would be worse than his. I’m a bit of technophobe when it comes to this kind of thing, so can’t offer anything more specific unfortunately.
In general though i think Saturday’s stream was much better than the Ayr and Dunfermline games - the Inverness game worked pretty well for me.

Yeah the Ayr game was awful. That was everyone that got the same rubbish stream.

47 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Stream didn't buffer but did drop out completely a couple of times, thought the 2nd camera was actually better than the usual pixellot camera, 1st half picture was ok , 2nd half was very pixelated and as BFTD says it was like an old 360p YouTube video

Yeah I'm thinking about how to go forward, I wasn't happy with either half really. There's issues either way I do it... I need to figure out if the drift is caused by pixellot - the frame skipping issue that I mentioned - which is unfixable or if it's to do with the stream being re-encoded so you can get it whatever quality your internet can handle and the audio for whatever reason gets encoded earlier. Again unfixable with the current setup. 

I'm getting to the stage ripping this up and starting again sounds like the easiest option.

Edited by LeodhasXD

My stream was fine at the weekend. Said this on the match thread and quite probably everyone else knew weeks ago, but mine buffers something awful on the HD and highest quality picture option that it defaults too at the start. When I choose a lower quality picture (which is still fine) it runs fine. I've had no issues all season with any of the away games. Does ours default to a higher quality than anybody else is offering? 

Personally I'm not bothered about a second camera, just as long as the stream runs fine and is watchable. Getting the comms in sync with the action would be a bigger priority, sometimes end up turning it down altogether which is a shame as the comms are really good and watching the game without sound is shite.