The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Really concerned after that display today, we look so poor going forward and for 6 weeks now its been evident we are lacking up front and nothing has been done about it.

it certainly is worrying times , we have done well with loan players in the past but only connolly is decent enough , murray has been a let down as for the signed players,  , jamieson is way off fit , scougall is still to shine only Grant has been good , i hate to say it but we miss flanagan badly

Grant has his work cut out  we will see what he is made of now .

Edited by whereismillar

Surprised just how poor Alloa were today,  not that I'm saying Queens were a great deal better.  Usually you can except a tougher game from Alloa with players closing down,  harrying the opposition,  playing at high tempo,  fast on the counter attack,  there was (thankfully)  very little of that today.  How close was today's line-up to your best starting 11, are you missing key players or was it just an off day?  

While it was a grim Alloa performance, it's important to keep things in perspective. Very rare to see the team so badly off the pace like that. And also way too early to be writing off new signings who haven't had a genuine chance to settle.

Certainly a few things for the manager to ponder though. With Parry back it was probably the strongest team we have named all season and with big Andy also getting a run of games, we were better at the back as expected. The team as a whole was so sluggish though, no tempo and just couldn't keep the ball. Easy to say we lack pace up front - think we all hoped for another loan attacker - but there was no support for Thommo yesterday and very little for him to work with. Even our set pieces were crap.

There were positives in defeat from previous games. Very little indeed to take from yesterday other than Parry returning and Andy getting another 90 minutes under his belt. Very un Alloa like performance. I understand why the manager wanted to give all the fringe players a game last week, but I wonder at the moment would more continuity have been a better idea, allow the team to build on a positive performance against Dundee. 

This Alloa team almost always bounce back well from a bad performance and they will need to do that if we are to avoid a horsing on Tuesday night. I think moving forward one thing the manager should be doing is working out where he can most effectively fit Scougall in then give him a run of games. Even in his few games he looks for the ball and tries to make things happen, we looked better as soon as he was on yesterday. 

Edited by Waspie

Last paragraph in particular spot on there Waspie. Its vital we get Scougall integrated into that first 11 as soon as possible. The midfield is well balanced but we need more of a creative spark in there. Scougall clearly has the ability to provide it. I know he was short of match fitness when he came in, but his influence is limited in cameo appearances from the bench.

Two problems yesterday- being too wasteful in the final third was obviously one, and we just didnt have that extra bit of quality to stretch Queens to get us up the pitch a bit quicker. Particularly in the second half when Queens were correctly quite content to sit on their 2 goal advantage.

I think Thomsons work is pretty good in terms of touches and link play. But if we cant get the ball to him in semi decent positions, he'll have days like yesterday.

1 hour ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

What exactly does O'Donnell have to do? 

For some a second half MoM performance vs Stenny, keeps his place on bench, then dropped completely.

This is a completely different level to playing Stenny. 

23 minutes ago, printer said:

This is a completely different level to playing Stenny. 

At least have him on the bench was my point, but thanks for pointing out Stenny not in same level as hearts, I thought cause they both play in maroon it was same team.

It's not like PG uses the subs anyway. Same 2/3 players get on anyway. 

3-0 down at half time, he goes for a straight swap... Nope not for me and hasn't been for a long time. 

Edited by bringbackchopraNOW

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 20:31, bringbackchopraNOW said:

At least have him on the bench was my point, but thanks for pointing out Stenny not in same level as hearts, I thought cause they both play in maroon it was same team.

It's not like PG uses the subs anyway. Same 2/3 players get on anyway. 

3-0 down at half time, he goes for a straight swap... Nope not for me and hasn't been for a long time. 

The bench offered like for like cover in a number of positions- was probably a choice between Williamson and O'Donnell for the bench, unless O'Donnell carrying a knock or another reason.

The game was gone by half time- don't think there was much point in flooding the attack and risking a cricket score.

Brilliant today, Jamieson started off a little shaky but was brilliant, particularly in extra time. Grant and hetherington terrific in the middle of the park, and you couldn’t tell which was the part time side even after 120 minutes. Beautiful stuff.

There’s a real lack of class regarding this current Heart of Midlothian Management team.  Apparently it’s  Mike Mulraney’s fault Hearts got relegated.  So all is forgiven Craig Levien.  And all those players who played poorly as Hearts plummeted to the foot of the SPL.  It’s a shame that Hearts have resorted to this kind of narrative.  It’s embarrassing for the fans, who are as passionate as any you’ll find anywhere.    Great club pity about your Manager