The Alloa Athletic Thread

Questionable call by the manager to make so many changes. In the case of the youngsters in particular but also others still finding their feet at Alloa, it really helps to have experienced heads around them when they come into the team. They were like a bunch of strangers in the first half. As it was, bringing on Hetherington and Grant was enough to give Alloa control of the game, those two were terrific. Stenny caved in without being under significant pressure really. 

Anyway, got there in the end and I think that puts us through? Lots of players got minutes and the goals will help Buchanan. O'Donnell did really well after the subs came on and he moved further up, and Jamieson settled down too. Encouraged by Scougall also. 

Not quite sure why my stream was so bad today. Haven't had any issues so far this season but that was grim, missed 3 of the goals. 

Edited by Waspie

Well that was a strange game. I'd have been in favour of using all 3 subs even before halftime, I'm struggling to remember a worse Alloa performance than that 1st half. But then, once Stevie came on, it was a completely different game and we well and truly bossed it. Good to see that the never-say-die mentality is still there.

The stream seemed a bit pixelated today, and the commentary was out of synch - but certainly not anything too bad, the game was still perfectly watchable for me. And having a human in charge of the camera definitely makes things 100 times better.

Agree with all of the above. Tail of two halves, couldn't see the end result. I also had the same problems, commentary at times was behind the play and the picture was not HD. Not being negative just some constructive feedback. Think the guys that are doing the PPV games are doing a fantastic job.

First half was certainly terrible, and manager probably made too many changes. I actually had a suspicion we weren't too bothered about progressing. With no supporters in grounds we are hardly on to a money spinner. Unless we get a match on tv, any prize money might be offset by the cost required to potentially covid test the squad (I think). I think the disjoint was to be expected, particularly at the back.

Anyway, it gave him a chance to put fringe players within the system and setup he has deployed all season. Agree with Waspie, we certainly got far more of a foothold once Hetherington and Grant were introduced, with a foundation and stability. But we didnt really need to move through the gears all that much to pick up the result. And for me that's pretty positive.

There were some successes out there. O'Donnell I thought looked pretty good. Williamson made some mistakes but would have been a good experience for him.

It gave the manager a chance to look at all of his options within a system, everyone got a runout and we progressed. And one of our strikers not only got off the mark, but hit a hat trick. Job done and it worked out fine. 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I dont see it as a risk. He clearly hoped that the players he picked would have slotted into his system a bit better than they did.  These things happen. Theres far more limited opportunities to give guys on the fringes some game time this season. The League Cup isnt a priority for me, particularly this season. Theres two far bigger games coming up against Queens and Hearts in the space of 4 days. 

The end justified the means.

7 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Theres far more limited opportunities to give guys on the fringes some game time this season.

That's the reason the manager has given in his post match interview. There were next to no pre-season games and this was a chance to give these guys some game time. These are clearly unprecedented times.

The way Grant and Hetherington immediately took control was very impressive.

Thought bringing on those two guys really brought the most out of O’Donnell too. Can see he has real potential to be a big player for us. Obviously really hard to get these guys in and give them chances being in such a hard league.

Hard to judge Evans feeding off scraps. Williamson grew into the game. Had it on my notes to mention of commentary but totally forgot. Greig Spence was great during the game with Williamson when the play wasn’t too near - giving him tips, encouraging him to be brave on the ball. Was really good to see.

Jamieson had a really shaky start. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a poor opening 45 but hopefully he’ll come good in time. Buchs confidence will be sky high after that but just feel this squad is still really light. Not confident of new faces, however. Good to see Scougall get more game time. Can see glimpses of real class.

The point i have been trying to make is ..that you need to introduce these guys in 2,s or three's not all at once !

see how they get on with good service , playing with regulars bringing on the confidence  , i feel Saturdays Experiment was a failure 

and i am sure PG realises this now . but some will see it differently , would be a great insight having the opinion of the players who took part and how they felt afterwards?

19 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Thought bringing on those two guys really brought the most out of O’Donnell too. Can see he has real potential to be a big player for us. Obviously really hard to get these guys in and give them chances being in such a hard league.

Hard to judge Evans feeding off scraps. Williamson grew into the game. Had it on my notes to mention of commentary but totally forgot. Greig Spence was great during the game with Williamson when the play wasn’t too near - giving him tips, encouraging him to be brave on the ball. Was really good to see.

Jamieson had a really shaky start. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a poor opening 45 but hopefully he’ll come good in time. Buchs confidence will be sky high after that but just feel this squad is still really light. Not confident of new faces, however. Good to see Scougall get more game time. Can see glimpses of real class.

That's class from Spencie, a top man. 

Agree about Jamieson. As he struggled in the opening 45 and with a Stenny player called Hodge appearing in the comms, I was reminded of the bold Sandy and some rather dodgy defensive displays of yore at the Recs. But in fairness to Jamieson that was his first game in 9 months. It probably didn't help either that he was surrounded by a few others making their first appearance in a good while rather than making his debut in a settled side. Hopefully the 90 minutes will have helped him and he will settle as time goes on. And although Stenny didn't offer too much in the 2nd half he did play better. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

The point i have been trying to make is ..that you need to introduce these guys in 2,s or three's not all at once !

see how they get on with good service , playing with regulars bringing on the confidence  , i feel Saturdays Experiment was a failure 

and i am sure PG realises this now . but some will see it differently , would be a great insight having the opinion of the players who took part and how they felt afterwards?

I absolutely dont disagree with you- that's a far more ideal method. But its unique circumstances we are currently in. For all that we were poor first half, need to also give credit to Stenny who were excellent.

If the manager had made 5 subs at the break I'd certainly think the same in terms of adversely affecting the players. But the players need to take some responsibility too. As it turned out, he only made 2 subs after an hour gone. So the majority of the team in the first half also played a part in digging it out- albeit assisted by some poor Stenny defending.

We won the game and progressed in the tournament- but wouldnt have been the end of the world had we not done so. And most of our key players were kept out of it and remain fresh for more important games. That's a pretty successful outcome for me.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

yes the outcome was good , i am wondering now if the club were overly  keen to go to the next round anyway ,

as Brian roach  has pointed out , the benefits of the game against hearts or any other well supported team is nullified with this Covid as a lot less income in than normal. this whole no fans situation is really screwing a lot up . 

on that note how many takers for this game Leodhas ?

2 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

yes the outcome was good , i am wondering now if the club were overly  keen to go to the next round anyway ,

as Brian roach  has pointed out , the benefits of the game against hearts or any other well supported team is nullified with this Covid as a lot less income in than normal. this whole no fans situation is really screwing a lot up . 

Very slightly less than the Edinburgh City game. I suppose that's to be expected with Stenhousemuir having no hope of progression and a comfortable Alloa win expected. Can confirm the club (me) wanted an away tie. Now I have to do another weeks work in the three days between the Hearts away game and the cup tie🥺

48 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

The prize money to progress even if you go out next round is £45,000. The prize money for finishing 2nd and not going through is £27,000. That's before you talk about a half share of the streaming receipts for the next round which presumably won't be buttons unless Hearts fans are still boycotting. I imagine they were keen to go through.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The prize money to progress even if you go out next round is £45,000. The prize money for finishing 2nd and not going through is £27,000. That's before you talk about a half share of the streaming receipts for the next round which presumably won't be buttons unless Hearts fans are still boycotting. I imagine they were keen to go through.

Cheers mate. Apparently we are on the Hearts fans boycotting list so not expecting a huge uptake on the streams.

4 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Cheers mate. Apparently we are on the Hearts fans boycotting list so not expecting a huge uptake on the streams.

I'd still be surprised if there wasn't more than the Dunfermline game. The proof will be in next week.