The Alloa Athletic Thread

10 minutes ago, printer said:

What nonsense.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the Adam Brown others do. He scored a worldy last year at EEP but bar his decent first touch his decision making is woeful. 

There is a reason PG has to constantly tell him where to go and what to do. 

Would rather have young O'Donnell in there than Adam Brown. 

I thought we could have scored more goals.  And made the game a bit more comfortable.   The three young lads did  well when they came on.  Liam Evans could be the big surprise this season.  Canny O’Donnell big season ahead.  Could be his breakout season to be a 1st team regular 

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

I thought Adam did well tonight, driving forward and causing problems for Stranraer. Only frustration was the old fault of his final ball, in particular when he skinned two men and got into a great position then tried a very ambitious cross that went nowhere. But all in all he was good and looks to be continuing to progress. Good for him. 

Decent enough run out for the team. Lynch looks like a serious unit and reminded me a bit of Fraser Forrest. That's not a bad thing. Going to be a big jump from not playing first team football previously to the Championship but he looked physically strong and pretty comfortable on the ball. Plenty to work with there. Obviously have Jamieson and big Andy to come in too. 

O' Donnell was impressive when he came on, linked up nicely and used the ball really well. He looks to have bulked up a bit too. 

The old faithful throughout the nucleus of the team - Parry, Taggs, Dick, Robbo, Hetherington, Cawley and Trouts etc - looked like they had never been away. 

What they need though is more help up front. Obviously no Murray tonight but we are clearly short on pace and creativity in the forward areas. We need a loan or two like Hastie, Dario, or Aitchison. For all the quality, experience and spirit in the group, we will struggle if we don't add more of a threat in attack. That's if we get started at all next month. 

He has that contingency in place for Andy's absence at the back, with Taggart coming centre and marshalling that backline which he does well- keeping things calm and simple at the back. Lynch seemed good on the ball too which is encouraging. I always get a bit concerned when defenders think they are Franz Beckenbauer but Lynch seemed to have a good grasp of when to drive forward into space and when not to take risks. 

Hetherington looks like hes stepping up to become our top man in the middle of the park. Certainly capable of filling some of the void left by Flannigan. Was covering a bit too much ground last night but that will be fine tuned I think, particularly when he gets more of an understanding with Grant.

Trouten was superb at times but we certainly do need more up there so that Trouts isnt having to do too much.

Key aspect is that we still have a lot of leaders in the team willing to take on more and more responsibility. A very well established unit with only an addition or two required.

Youngsters made an impression, which is good to see in terms of overall squad numbers 

For Stranraer, Andy Stirling still a good player who should be playing at a higher level than League 2

Enjoyed the game.

8 hours ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

I'm sorry, I just don't see the Adam Brown others do. He scored a worldy last year at EEP but bar his decent first touch his decision making is woeful. 

There is a reason PG has to constantly tell him where to go and what to do. 

Would rather have young O'Donnell in there than Adam Brown. 

Adam does get a bit too excited sometimes when he drifts forward with the ball, but it's not his main job in the team. His job is principally to close down space,  plug gaps and retain possession. He did this well in key games against decent opposition last season. He'll have to step up and do a bit more as the team evolves, but I think he does fine in the trenches.

Thomson just seems to lack movement required. I'd love to see in a friendly, a 442 diamond with Buchs and Evans up and Trout's playing behind. Buchs intelligence and Evans exuberance would work well then when Buchs legs go Thomo could give us a target to hit. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Ray Grant holding with Stevie and Murray/O'Donnell as CMs. Full backs and GK pick themselves and I haven't seen enough from any CBs to make my mind up. 

Anyway PG if you are reading this, you're welcome 😂 I'll take 5% of your win bonus 

12 hours ago, whereismillar said:

The stranraer commentary team 3 of them compared to our one lewis (remember that before criticising him) were full of admiration for AB last night

and reckoned he was one of our best .

Was 5 in their media team last night. I need to recruit some extra hands.

19 hours ago, printer said:

And yet you have Murray and Evans in your side.

Murray because he's came from SPL club and PG has clearly brought him in to play. I watched Evans for reserves last year and think he gives youthful exuberance and they always try harder to prove a point. 

My point is I haven't seen enough to decide who to play beside Andy when fit, not that Nicky or Edin are good enough... Just who starts ahead of the other. 

Have been incredibly frustrated with the Pixellot quality - 

Horrible yellow mess notice the colours behind the goal are nasty. Our strips look black.

WhOsOC02.thumb.jpg.4c382981526aaad9ee218223156f2d58.jpg

After recalibrating myself - with no help from Pixellot might I add. Notice behind the goals the orange of the advertising board. The blue is spot on and the whites aren't horrible and yellow. It might not be 100% yet but it's a hell of a lot closer. 

They had GAIN set up to the maximum on the slider. This is a terrible idea for AI systems because it introduces a lot of noise. Which can confuse the AI. We had tracking problems all through the friendlies we've played but hopefully it should improve with the camera properly calibrated.

image.png.5bb9bf0aac7968ea9dcf8c5a4e561f1e.png

Edited by LeodhasXD

8 hours ago, whereismillar said:

playing well against a heavily subbed Stranraer (no offence ) is fine,  but against full time championship teams we will need experienced players

thats not to say they should not get their chance ,  only then will we know if they have the right stuff .

For me it's hunger and desire over experience this season. But my opinion is based on what I've seen, Evans and O'Donnell are as good as what we have already, with the bonus of hunger. 

If you always do, what you've always done, you'll always get, what you always got. 

Peter Grant has for the majority of his coaching career worked with young players. He must be decent at it. 

8 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Relegation battles every season aren't good for my grey's. Nobody said win it, small changes and forward thinking and I'll take safe 6th/7th as that would show progress. 

I am happy to go with PG and his thoughts , but being realistic Arbroath showed how you can get there 

as a side not anyone wanting to see the Airdrie betfred tie  here is a link  .  https://airdriefc.univtec.com/home

20 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

It's 11 days until first 'competitive' game and I still think we are a bit light on players, especially with pace out wide and up front. Hopefully a couple of loan signings are in the pipeline.

TBF, that could be a comment from any of the last ten pre-seasons.

Seems like there's always a group of full-time players facing a season on the bench who wait to see if dropping into the Seaside Leagues is going to be their only option for regular football. Ourselves and Arbroath are currently their best options, if money isn't the primary concern.