The Alloa Athletic Thread

51 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Some shocking haircuts on display at training tonight... Three man buns and Ray Grant's Barnet... Turkish Barber will be rubbing his hands.

Were you sitting with a telescope from Gaberston Avenue?

Edited by LeodhasXD

15 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Tbh Dunfermline seems to be a place where peoples careers go to die these days.

Bit harsh considering Kevin Nisbet's rise. The names you mention are league 1 players who have found championship football a bit too much of step.

On 19/08/2020 at 18:22, Waspie said:

I didn't feel he did enough when he did play up front to justify a regular game there. Indeed I was a little surprised that his loan was extended at New Year after he had been in and out of the team. But to be fair, he ended up doing a decent job out wide as the season progressed. Direct, strong and fairly quick, plus he could put a good ball in as LeodhasXD said. I felt Kevin Cawley was the better all round footballer when the two of them were competing for that role, but that Shields was a good alternative due to the attributes mentioned above. 

He doesn't seem to have really kicked on since that breakthrough season at Albion Rovers and is at a stage now where he really needs to. There is certainly a player there if he can manage to put it all together. Worth a gamble for QoS I'd say and playing up beside Dobbie would probably be good for him (and easier than leading the line for Alloa). 

Bit late to the party here but I thought same. Showed flashes of what he can do definitely, but expected a wee bit more from him. 

Scored the goal which ultimately kept us up without the need of playoffs as whereismillar says..a tidy finish. Theres a player in there...pace, power, delivery.

He could do well at Queens. If I use a vaguely similar scenario, Jack Hamilton didnt do all that much for us, but for Queens looked impressive. Admittedly only based on a few games, but looked a far better foil for Dobbie than Lynďon Dykes did the previous season.

10 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Bit harsh considering Kevin Nisbet's rise. The names you mention are league 1 players who have found championship football a bit too much of step.

Nisbet obviously did the business for Dunfermline and great to see him continue that for Hibs. Was initially quite surprised at how well hes done, just based on what I saw of him. In a number of games against Alloa for Raith then Dunfermline he never really impressed me that much. Clearly saved all his off days for games against us.

6 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Nisbet obviously did the business for Dunfermline and great to see him continue that for Hibs. Was initially quite surprised at how well hes done, just based on what I saw of him. In a number of games against Alloa for Raith then Dunfermline he never really impressed me that much. Clearly saved all his off days for games against us.

Alloa beat us 3/4 games last year I think?

Our games against you guys are probably not a good fixture to judge Nisbet or any of our players for that matter.   I can assure you that Nisbet was  excellent for us at times but understandably, everything Pars is fucking horse shite in the eyes of Alloa fans.

Edited by Chubbychops

3 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Alloa beat us 3/4 games last year I think?

Our games against you guys are probably not a good fixture to judge Nisbet or any of our players for that matter.   I can assure you that Nisbet was  excellent for us at times but understandably, everything Pars is fucking horse shite in the eyes of Alloa fans.

We did have Dunfermlines number a wee bit. But these things happen. It's quite a crazy league and theres no doubt the boy Nisbet is a player.

On 25/08/2020 at 16:18, LeodhasXD said:

Could say the same about Andy Ryan. Tbh Dunfermline seems to be a place where peoples careers go to die these days.

I'd have loved if we'd have signed either him or Kyle Turner back then as they were both excellent against us in League 1. They've both been footnotes against us in the Championship.

Andy Ryan was never capable of putting a run of games together, forever getting injured. 

As well as Nisbet, you've also got Jackson Longridge who we sold on for some money. 

While some like Clarke and McMullan would go upto United. 

We've had some good players, had some shite players, it happens. 

On 25/08/2020 at 16:38, Skyline Drifter said:

Joe Thomson too. Brilliant with Dumbarton and us. Disappeared (after a bad cruciate injury to be fair) at Dunfermline and now gone to Ireland.

Joe Thompson got a Poty award with us, didn't manage to come back after rupturing his acl. 

Kyle Turner also played pretty much every game last year. 

26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Fair enough. I didn't realise he played as many as he did. It seemed last season when he was mentioned at all in the later parts of it it was people complaining that he wasn't good enough and hadn't made the step up.

37 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Andy Ryan was never capable of putting a run of games together, forever getting injured. 

As well as Nisbet, you've also got Jackson Longridge who we sold on for some money. 

While some like Clarke and McMullan would go upto United. 

We've had some good players, had some shite players, it happens. 

Joe Thompson got a Poty award with us, didn't manage to come back after rupturing his acl. 

Don't get me wrong like I'd love to see you guys beat Hearts to the title just for the banter. I can't see any other challengers.

But East End Park just feels like such a negative place. I understand why players don't reach seeming potential under that expectation and criticism. I contrast that with the general attitude our fans have and, obviously fully biased here, it's a much healthier place to enjoy your football.

Edited by LeodhasXD

12 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't get me wrong like I'd love to see you guys beat Hearts to the title just for the banter. I can't see any other challengers.

But East End Park just feels like such a negative place. I understand why players don't reach seeming potential under that expectation and criticism. I contrast that with the general attitude our fans have and, obviously fully biased here, it's a much healthier place to enjoy your football.

At the risk of sounding billy big baws, I think Alloa is probably a better envirnonment for players making the step up from league 1.

Pars will generally have players with bigger or similar reputations already at the club and the player from league 1 has to compete with a player or earn their place from the bench first. Being made to feel a bit more special and starting games as a new signing can encourage players to perform better and settle easier.

42 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

East End Park probably feels negative when your there because we're normally losing against Alloa. 

As well as that Alloa will go into a season with less expectation, and you've achieved those expectations the past couple of seasons, whereas Dunfermline has fallen short. I'm sure when Alloa were getting relegated from league 2 etc it wasn't sunshine and rainbows. 

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough. I didn't realise he played as many as he did. It seemed last season when he was mentioned at all in the later parts of it it was people complaining that he wasn't good enough and hadn't made the step up.

He had some up and down games, started the season on fire though and I still have high hopes for him, it was a big jump up and his first in full time football. Crawford has allot of faith in him. 

You pars fans must be getting fed up with Raith fans and the mudslinging ,  not all alloa fans have such a dim view of the pars or EEP , i like going there with it being local and us having a good record there helps . used to love the Skids which helps too...expectations are obviously higher there as opposed to The Recs which does help new players no doubt about it . on paper you guys should do well and it will be tougher against you lot, can't see us doing you over again as much coming season , 

On another note what are the chances of resuming Scott banks loan ? 

he hardly got a game before the lurgy stepped in. 

I don't have the ability, but I would bring a level of decorum to my exchanges which the current person doesn't have. It's like they forget to change back to their personal account before replying 😂🐝

Would love to see some content put online to engage with fans, instead seems more about making sarcastic remarks and disrespecting other teams 🤷🏽‍♂️🤯