The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Considering Grant had been rumoured to be going to various full-time Championship clubs as well as the big spenders below this division in Falkirk & Queen's Park over the course of this window, that's an impressive signing.

I have to say I'm still not entirely convinced by Grant as a manager generally, but his recruitment last summer was good and seems to have started well enough this year as well.

Grant's done a great job so far. Not sure that signing his own son is evidence of any great signing coup though. He clearly had a bit of an inside track on all those other clubs who may have been interested, what with being his dad.

11 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Signing the player that played beside your son, now his actual son... Some scouting team we must have. 

Now a claim that a striker is priority... Who is he going to play in central defense????

Jamieson and Graham... and assuming since there's a gaping hole at number 4; another CB on loan.

With of course Taggart to step in if needed. And equally Ray Grant has been seen at left back before. Plenty of cover now at the back...

Edited by LeodhasXD

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Jamieson and Graham... and assuming since there's a gaping hole at number 4; another CB on loan.

With of course Taggart to step in if needed. And equally Ray Grant has been seen at left back before. Plenty of cover now at the back...

Moving our best right back to CB isn't the answer, in all seriousness, what is our scouting system? Genuinely curious 🤷🏽‍♂️

4 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Moving our best right back to CB isn't the answer, in all seriousness, what is our scouting system? Genuinely curious 🤷🏽‍♂️

Never saw this criticism when we were signing Scott Banks. Which was ostensibly off the back of Peter Grant's contacts at Crystal Palace. Tommy Farries is the head of scouting but who the manager wants is who he gets.

6 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

It  be the same as any other club where players are identified and the manager will look at them and maybe speak to representatives of the player and their wage demands will be sky high. This is where it's hard for part time teams as they're propably hoping guys have got right good jobs and playing football is a top up on wages and they happen to be good players. Alot goes on behind scenes we dont know bout. 

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Never saw this criticism when we were signing Scott Banks. Which was ostensibly off the back of Peter Grant's contacts at Crystal Palace. Tommy Farries is the head of scouting but who the manager wants is who he gets.

Where is the criticism? Merely making light of the conveniences and coincidences of the situation. Why you got your knickers in a twist? Are you Tommy? 😂

39 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Grant's signings have been really good so far so clearly the scouting system is doing a good job! 

I'm happy enough with Taggart and Dick as cover for CB given we have good options to fill in at RB and LB if either needs to be deployed in the middle. The only question is big Andy Graham's fitness. It will be near enough a year out with for him with a serious injury by the time the season starts. If anyone can cope with that it's Andy, but that's the one issue that leaves me wondering if further defensive cover required. Time will tell. 

We have  IMO a more complete Squad than i have seen in recent seasons given that we still have a lot of time before the start of the season ahead , no need to start panicking yet

i am sure the management are well aware of the need to be up and at it early doors for the shortened season ahead .

58 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

He's turning into Zidane before I've even seen him play a competitive game.

This. Grant is a decent enough player. I think he'll do well. I've seen him play 3 or 4 times for Clyde and he's looked one of their better players. But he's currently being talked about as if he's the next John McGinn and not a guy who has bounced around the bottom two divisions for a couple of years and is already 23. There was a lot of hype about Kyle Turner when Dunfermline won the race to pick him up a year ago and he looked bright in their League Cup group but he didn't end up playing that often in the end.

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There was a lot of hype about Kyle Turner when Dunfermline won the race to pick him up a year ago and he looked bright in their League Cup group but he didn't end up playing that often in the end.

Could say the same about Andy Ryan. Tbh Dunfermline seems to be a place where peoples careers go to die these days.

I'd have loved if we'd have signed either him or Kyle Turner back then as they were both excellent against us in League 1. They've both been footnotes against us in the Championship.

19 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Could say the same about Andy Ryan. Tbh Dunfermline seems to be a place where peoples careers go to die these days.

I'd have loved if we'd have signed either him or Kyle Turner back then as they were both excellent against us in League 1. They've both been footnotes against us in the Championship.

Joe Thomson too. Brilliant with Dumbarton and us. Disappeared (after a bad cruciate injury to be fair) at Dunfermline and now gone to Ireland.