The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, whereismillar said:

I like the Draw, Arbroath have ended up with another repeat of the usual suspects, glad we avoided that for a fresh set of teams, will be interesting to see if we hit the ground running as we will need to to do well in the league . 

Same, I'm glad we didn't end up in the Group G of death. I wonder if it's a first that the entire group is playing on astro.

10 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Same, I'm glad we didn't end up in the Group G of death. I wonder if it's a first that the entire group is playing on astro.

Yeah an Airdrie fan posted something about that, they also seem pretty optomistic about progressing ! i hope we tell it differently,  ⚽

https://alloaathleticfootball.club/

Again plugging the new website as the old one is down.

image.thumb.png.8cde7e71c4b9fcdc054ba5b75e4b8892.png

Been adding to the archive... 2013/14. I wonder what would have happened had Paul Hartley not have had his head turned. The team was flying up until Christmas.

It's on my list to add all the match reports. Only 2019/20 done so far but that's roughly the format they're going to be in.

Player match data to get added too but we'll see how far I can get. It's unfortunate Kevin Cawley has such a long history to get all his matches in!

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

We're rumoured to have signed Connor Shields, who spent a bit of time on loan with you guys. What like?

We played him predominantly as a winger... Which was because he was an excellent crosser. But by no means was he a winger but in general I liked him and think it was a missed opportunity that he didn't play up front more because his stint at Albion Rovers was clear that he had goals galore in him.

I didn't feel he did enough when he did play up front to justify a regular game there. Indeed I was a little surprised that his loan was extended at New Year after he had been in and out of the team. But to be fair, he ended up doing a decent job out wide as the season progressed. Direct, strong and fairly quick, plus he could put a good ball in as LeodhasXD said. I felt Kevin Cawley was the better all round footballer when the two of them were competing for that role, but that Shields was a good alternative due to the attributes mentioned above. 

He doesn't seem to have really kicked on since that breakthrough season at Albion Rovers and is at a stage now where he really needs to. There is certainly a player there if he can manage to put it all together. Worth a gamble for QoS I'd say and playing up beside Dobbie would probably be good for him (and easier than leading the line for Alloa). 

Edited by Waspie

22 hours ago, Waspie said:

I didn't feel he did enough when he did play up front to justify a regular game there. Indeed I was a little surprised that his loan was extended at New Year after he had been in and out of the team. But to be fair, he ended up doing a decent job out wide as the season progressed. Direct, strong and fairly quick, plus he could put a good ball in as LeodhasXD said. I felt Kevin Cawley was the better all round footballer when the two of them were competing for that role, but that Shields was a good alternative due to the attributes mentioned above. 

He doesn't seem to have really kicked on since that breakthrough season at Albion Rovers and is at a stage now where he really needs to. There is certainly a player there if he can manage to put it all together. Worth a gamble for QoS I'd say and playing up beside Dobbie would probably be good for him (and easier than leading the line for Alloa). 

His goal at Ayr kept us up , i for one am grateful to him.

5 minutes ago, Recsnotindodrill said:

Ray Grant joins from Clyde, from what I can gather a good signing in midfield. Seemed highly rated and Peter's laddie!

Was really tempted to put joining the family business but being a coaches son is already bad enough😂

Just need a couple of 'marquee' signings to play up front and were sorted for this season

I’d say we’d need a few more than just one or two marquee strikers. Few more permanent and then utilised the loan market. Going to be a hard season with plenty fixtures so going to need some decent depth. Still plenty, plenty time though.

Grant has a decent reputation and has done well in the leagues below. At a good age to step up too and we certainly need a ball playing midfielder after the departure of Flanny. Well worth a shot. Welcome aboard, Ray.

Pace and creativity out wide and in attack the priority now I think. 

Whilst Peter Grant may be aware of Ray because he's his son, he's definitely good enough for that level. A ball winner in that he reads the game superbly and will intercept, great at passing the ball through midfield. Won't get booked making ridiculous challenges; he'll just step in tackle and pass the ball in one movement. A bit of pace, maybe a wee bit better in the air and he'd be going further up the leagues.

Pace and creativity out wide and in attack the priority now I think. 

Agreed. If Grant and Jamieson do well then we are OK in defence and midfield, but we will need a couple of Zanatta/O'Hara types to complement Buchs and Thomson in attack.

Peter Grant pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Kevin O'Hara last year, but that will be difficult to do again, so I expect we are talking loans.

Considering Grant had been rumoured to be going to various full-time Championship clubs as well as the big spenders below this division in Falkirk & Queen's Park over the course of this window, that's an impressive signing.

I have to say I'm still not entirely convinced by Grant as a manager generally, but his recruitment last summer was good and seems to have started well enough this year as well.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Considering Grant had been rumoured to be going to various full-time Championship clubs as well as the big spenders below this division in Falkirk & Queen's Park over the course of this window, that's an impressive signing.

I have to say I'm still not entirely convinced by Grant as a manager generally, but his recruitment last summer was good and seems to have started well enough this year as well.

Peter grant has a better record than Goodwin did points per game in the champs , not bad considering he was new last season , i had my doubts but he has proved me wrong ...so far  🙂