The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 10/07/2020 at 00:29, BraeTon74 said:

Nicky Jamieson is heading to Alloa from QP. Good centre-half, spotted by Grant Jnr.

Glad you got it over the line, really good, motivated young centre-half that wins everything in the air and will keep getting better. Looking forward to seeing him in the Championship but not looking forward to playing against him. 

4 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Fantastic player can only get better. Another player we should never have let go. 

Correct, while we have done well under Ray this was a big mistake to let him go. Just like Parry and Trouten (both ex QP) he will be a great player for you.

Kieran Wright has started following the official Ayr United twitter page and we are in need of a goalkeeper so putting 2+2 together I reckon we could be signing him. I see he was with you guys 19/20 season. Was he decent? 

Kieran Wright has started following the official Ayr United twitter page and we are in need of a goalkeeper so putting 2+2 together I reckon we could be signing him. I see he was with you guys 19/20 season. Was he decent? 

There’s definitely something there, a player in there. However, I wasn’t overly impressed by him. He’s obviously a young keeper so to come in after Jamie MacDonald and Neil Parry was always going to be a tough ask. Not the biggest in stature nor the most commanding but decent enough shot stopper as you’d expect. You signing him, like you say, makes total sense but he’s definitely a downgrade on Doohan - would be hard not to be though.

I probably am giving him too harsh a review comparing him to the other two keepers we had last season. Would say he was only in the team for a handful of games but the defence seemed a lot more confident and sure when Parry made a shock return at Dens.

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Although still young I was not impressed by him at all, would not come off his line, kicking was poor and didn't do enough organising the defence. But as I said still young and loads of time to improve but I think you should be looking at better. 

Bit harsh on the boy. He only played a few games and he had big gloves to fill following Parry and MacDonald. He did OK in the games I saw but he wasn't vocal enough and stayed on his line too much. The defence ended up dropping back deep to cover that. But he is a youngster and was just getting used to a new club and teammates, I'd have hoped he'd have become more commanding with more games. Wasn't the right man for us at the time but with a bit more experience and a steady defence in front of him he might well end up doing a job. 

On 25/07/2020 at 19:50, Waspie said:

Bit harsh on the boy. He only played a few games and he had big gloves to fill following Parry and MacDonald. He did OK in the games I saw but he wasn't vocal enough and stayed on his line too much. The defence ended up dropping back deep to cover that. But he is a youngster and was just getting used to a new club and teammates, I'd have hoped he'd have become more commanding with more games. Wasn't the right man for us at the time but with a bit more experience and a steady defence in front of him he might well end up doing a job. 

Absolutely correct, a handful of games and the circumstances we were in at that point with makeshift defences make it difficult for any real judgement. His first 2 games against Inverness away then Dundee United at home produced decent enough performances. 

Bringing Parry back was ultimately the right call- the big man had a stormer against Dundee away in the penultimate game before the season prematurely ended.

Wright didnt get time to settle and build up an understanding with the back 4, and even the best goalkeepers need that.