The Alloa Athletic Thread

I'm fine with that, I don't think we are competing with Man Utd for fans. If people are looking at it as a straight contest between quality of football, profile and glamour etc then we have no chance. Those people are lost to us regardless of games being streamed online. We need to stand out for different reasons, ie local identity and community involvement. 

I definitely know people that, at least semi-regularly, go to Gayfield who’d definitely think about staying in the pub to watch a premier league game at 3. There’s already too many Scottish people who only care about English football and having 3PM kick offs on sky/BT would only make that worse IMO

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

As long as you're comfortable with people not coming to Alloa games because they're sitting at home watching Man Utd or whatever.

Personally I think more people come to Alloa for the social aspect of football.

And that will never be replaced by watching Man Utd on a tele.

If it seems we're losing to that then it's very easy too. Start selling alcohol at games.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not being installed on Thursday, they are only conducting initial site surveys at all Championship clubs Wed to Friday in 2 hr slots. Actual installation will be in the week or two following somewhere I think.

Meh. Groundhog Day continues then.

Edited by LeodhasXD

15 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Personally I think more people come to Alloa for the social aspect of football.

And that will never be replaced by watching Man Utd on a tele.

If it seems we're losing to that then it's very easy too. Start selling alcohol at games.

I'm pretty sure every Scottish club would be delighted to sell alcohol at games, but it's illegal.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm pretty sure every Scottish club would be delighted to sell alcohol at games, but it's illegal.

Ah, yes, the laws passed down by our forefathers unchanged for thousands of years.

Seems like a good time to change Draconian laws that limit football clubs' possible revenue streams so that they remain viable businesses.

Edited by LeodhasXD

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Ah, yes, the laws passed down by our forefathers unchanged for thousands of years.

Seems like a good time to change Draconian laws that limit football clubs' possible revenue streams so that they remain viable businesses.

Personally I think football crowds have more than enough drunken idiots among them as is without thinking about selling it inside grounds again. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally I think football crowds have more than enough drunken idiots among them as is without thinking about selling it inside grounds again. 

Most of them are usually from hospitality. 

I take it that we are yet again entering the Twilight Zone at the Indodrill?
Not a whisper other than O'Hara has gone to EEP.
Why am I not surprised?

With the October start date I don’t see anything happening until the middle of August.

2 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

I take it that we are yet again entering the Twilight Zone at the Indodrill?

Not a whisper other than O'Hara has gone to EEP.

Why am I not surprised?

You're expecting what? You re-signed a lot of your existing squad early and that's fine, it's free. the Govt will be paying their wages. Anyone new will need paying. Actually, if we ignore Dunfermline who have the Nisbet money burning a hole in their pockets, there have been hardly any "new" signings in this division. Arbroath brought in Craigen, Hearts Craig Gordon and Raith Jamie MacDonald. I think that's it isn't it?

What SD said. Things normally start coming together a month before the season starts in a normal season and we've got another 6 weeks until we reach that point. 😳

I'm working on refreshing the programme just now. That should take me into next week for something to do.

We were ranked 3rd place by some publication behind Dundee United and Partick last year. I feel like I'll need to step up the game again to smash Hearts into second place though. I doubt we'll have physical copies at least until after fans are back in the ground but It's easy enough sharing an online copy for download. Trying to work as much automation to save time during the season.

Hopefully we'll have a better idea about the live streaming too soon. I'm not sure that the league's centralised streaming is something I like. 

Pixellot's equipment should be installed soonTM  and then I can get my hands dirty with that too before I get thrown in at the deep end.

And we still have the same old website, for now 😏

So there's a fair bit going on. Just nothing concrete to announce

Edited by LeodhasXD

John's been firing up some legacy players on the website recently too but I'll be honest I'm not one for the historical articles so I miss them all the time. Checking social media just now is 😴

Except to laugh at Hearts vs the SPFL - quite enjoy that.

On 17/07/2020 at 22:42, LeodhasXD said:

John's been firing up some legacy players on the website recently too but I'll be honest I'm not one for the historical articles so I miss them all the time. Checking social media just now is 😴

Except to laugh at Hearts vs the SPFL - quite enjoy that.

I've been really enjoying the series about former players on the club site. Some fantastic information and pictures about our past that just isn't available anywhere else. Top work from John. 

Agree with posters above that there is no rush for new signings. We are in a much better position than last summer when we had a new manager who didn't know the club, players, or the league, and didn't have too much time before the window closed. This time around he knows exactly what he has and what he is up against. He has a good solid base to build upon too. 

There are a few things to address. Think we all knew O'Hara would be away so the biggest blow for me was the retirement of Flanny. Questions too possibly about when big Andy Graham will be back.

With the nucleus already there though, the manager could probably fill the gaps with a few strong loans and perhaps another nugget or two like O'Hara, players who are in need of a second chance and some TLC, or players who are capable with the right support and platform of stepping up from a lower level. I'm sure the manager is busy working away on these things and the way he brought on players last season should give us encouragement. He has time on his side too with the season still a good while away. 

In the meantime, buy a season ticket. 

Edited by Waspie