The Alloa Athletic Thread

5 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Andy Graham said in his interview the other day he’s looking for FT and I doubt he’d have much trouble getting that.

He's 37 in a few months. Way too old and decrepit for full-time football. His form's been declining lately too; pretty poor to be honest.

I'd give him a swerve, lads. Best to leave him with us. Maybe have a wee word with the movers and shakers at your clubs, yeah? It's for the best.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He's 37 in a few months. Way too old and decrepit for full-time football. His form's been declining lately too; pretty poor to be honest.

I'd give him a swerve, lads. Best to leave him with us. Maybe have a wee word with the movers and shakers at your clubs, yeah? It's for the best.

Think he means O'Hara mate 🙂

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Think he means O'Hara mate 🙂

Ah, OK.

He's been shite anyway. Got lucky with a lot of his goals. Talk to the Falkirk fans, they'll tell you.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Ah, OK.

He's been shite anyway. Got lucky with a lot of his goals. Talk to the Falkirk fans, they'll tell you.

O'Hara is long gone . has offers from many full time teams , and who can blame him,  it was good to see him realise his self belief and grow with us , i am sure he will have nothing but good things to say about his time at Alloa

I think he will go, but don't think it's an absolute given. Hes had a couple of offers as far as I'm aware, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good offers. The gap between a lower end full time wage and top end part time isnt really a substantial amount. And in current climate and uncertainty clubs aren't loaded with cash. 

A key factor in joining Alloa was game time every week, so I doubt he'll fancy bench warming. But by the same token I expect teams may carry smaller squads and be looking for everyone to make a contribution.

Could be a lengthy saga as he weighs up offers. Which is fine- not only was he outstanding for us, theres no question he worked exceptionally hard for it. If he can get a good chance at a higher level- good luck to him.

We won't get a direct replacement (same type/ability) IMO. Robbo or Hetherington could both do a job in that position though.

Maybe we can persuade Simmy to come out of retirement. [emoji16]

A flanny replacement will be very hard to find.

On 21/06/2020 at 11:12, printer said:

We won't get a direct replacement (same type/ability) IMO. Robbo or Hetherington could both do a job in that position though.

Maybe we can persuade Simmy to come out of retirement. emoji16.png

Agree with this. Flanny was really a class above our level in terms of talent and he also grew as a leader over the years. It is basically impossible to find a like for like replacement. The job for the manager is to find other ways to fill the gap, between new additions, possibly tweaking the style, trying to get a bit more out of existing or new players. The way he helped the likes of O'Hara and Brown develop last season was very encouraging. Brown has a bit to go with his decision making in particular but he really came on and was offering much more to the team. Hopefully more to come from him. 

Edited by Waspie

Flanny was ability wise our best player by a distance, and a major influence on the team. But theres hope in the fact that when Flanny was missing last season we rarely looked lost on the park. We did exactly what Waspie says- mixed it up a bit in terms of style. 

Flanny didnt play in arguably our most dominant performance of the season- the final game before shut down against Inverness. Whilst young Banks was instrumental in that particular win, Robertson and Hetherington are very classy players capable of filling the void. 

Really good 90 minute chat- main updates in terms of the here and now:

Season tickets announced this week. Will be cut priced based on shorter season with access to streaming where necessary.

Season due to start 17th October, Betfred Cup in first 2 weeks.

Lots of "Covid friendly" adjustments being made to the ground in terms of layout and setup. Likely to be some kind of work to join the ground with Wasp Centre for easier access to the facilities where/if needed

Looking at admission of season ticket holders with distancing if viable to do so based on government guidelines at that point in time.

Squad pretty much signed up with exception of Flannigan (obviously) and O'Hara (who we will get a compensation fee for if he goes full time)

Really good 90 minute chat- main updates in terms of the here and now:
Season tickets announced this week. Will be cut priced based on shorter season with access to streaming where necessary.
Season due to start 17th October, Betfred Cup in first 2 weeks.
Lots of "Covid friendly" adjustments being made to the ground in terms of layout and setup. Likely to be some kind of work to join the ground with Wasp Centre for easier access to the facilities where/if needed
Looking at admission of season ticket holders with distancing if viable to do so based on government guidelines at that point in time.
Squad pretty much signed up with exception of Flannigan (obviously) and O'Hara (who we will get a compensation fee for if he goes full time)

Any news or whispers of players we are looking to get in?

38 minutes ago, vespa said:

Any thoughts on Flanny being added to the coaching staff? Would have thought he'd have lots to pass on to the other midfielders.

doubt it , retirement means retirement, not as if he has an injury, would be good to see him back for a goodbye though