The Alloa Athletic Thread

Iain flannagan will be a big loss to alloa the way peter grant wants them to play , flannagan was a very brave player and would take the ball in areas others  wouldnt dream off in order to keep possession,  always seemed effortless too him, very good player who could have played at a higher level .

Well that's a sore one. Easy to forget that Flanny had a mixed start at the Recs. He had been injury prone at his previous clubs and that's why he ended up part-time. Although he had his moments the first two seasons - that goal against Hibs in particular - he struggled to manage more than a few games without breaking down again. I recall questioning one summer was it worth keeping him when he was injured so frequently.

It was really under Jack Ross that he finally managed to get playing regularly. And his influence grew and grew. He was class in the three behind the striker under Ross. Goodwin obviously brought him back deeper and that worked a treat too. So calm on the ball, he would take the ball anywhere and keep it and use it. Could beat a man, ping the ball around, and hit a deadly free-kick. And he became a leader on the park too. He was a stand out in the Championship and a player who had the ability to play in the top flight no bother. Flanny was the Clackmannanshire Pirlo. 

He leaves a massive hole in the team but a whole lot of fantastic memories. Thanks Flanny. 

Edited by Waspie

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A 23 year old American soldier from Cumbernauld who also manages to hold down a career as a part-time Scottish lower league footballer. Impressive. 

1419D985-DD6B-4B2B-8194-622A0815F0EA.jpeg

Man of the match in Clyde fans v Clyde fans end of season game a few years ago aswell. Impressive CV.

Well that's a sore one. Easy to forget that Flanny had a mixed start at the Recs. He had been injury prone at his previous clubs and that's why he ended up part-time. Although he had his moments the first two seasons - that goal against Hibs in particular - he struggled to manage more than a few games without breaking down again. I recall questioning one summer was it worth keeping him when he was injured so frequently.
It was really under Jack Ross that he finally managed to get playing regularly. And his influence grew and grew. He was class in the three behind the striker under Ross. Goodwin obviously brought him back deeper and that worked a treat too. So calm on the ball, he would take the ball anywhere and keep it and use it. Could beat a man, ping the ball around, and hit a deadly free-kick. And he became a leader on the park too. He was a stand out in the Championship and a player who had the ability to play in the top flight no bother. Flanny was the Clackmannanshire Pirlo. 
He leaves a massive hole in the team but a whole lot of fantastic memories. Thanks Flanny. 

Good post. I agree about his less than glorious first few years, I remember saying I wouldn't re-sign him when Jack Ross was assembling his squad - got that wrong!

A wonderful football player who at times seemed to be on a different level. His individual performance in the great team one in the televised 1-0 defeat of Dundee United was sublime.

Apart from him, it's good to see all of last year's squad being kept on. So many terrific players for us and making up even more than the sum of their parts with their camaraderie and knowledge of each other.

October seems a long way away, but good to take first steps towards getting football back.

57 minutes ago, printer said:

Good post. I agree about his less than glorious first few years, I remember saying I wouldn't re-sign him when Jack Ross was assembling his squad - got that wrong!

That was a common enough opinion at the time. He seemed to spend a lot of time injured - was he not still recovering from something when he arrived?

Just as well successive managers realised what they had, if they could get him fit and well.

What a day it would be if the club ever announced we were able to go full-time. Long way off, I'm sure, but that would be some achievement.

Always a miserable time of year when, no matter how much a player has enjoyed their time at the club, you know that a full-time contract will always have to take precedence.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

What a day it would be if the club ever announced we were able to go full-time. Long way off, I'm sure, but that would be some achievement.

Always a miserable time of year when, no matter how much a player has enjoyed their time at the club, you know that a full-time contract will always have to take precedence.

Full time nowadays means nothing at our level  I wish Queens would go back to part time right now we get full time players nobody else wants 

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We would lose most of the squad , i prefer P/T myself.