The Alloa Athletic Thread

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion after Saturday's game .... i know it is pretty evident but we desperately need a winger to give a bit of pace and width and a true no9 (easier said than done i know) typified in the last minute. Thomson had the ball at the edge of the box, it opened up and nothing between him and the goals. What does he do, tries to pass it to someone in the box when he should have had a shot at goal. We could have nicked a draw after defending stoutly throughout.
I also thought the formation didn't work in the first half, team looked much better and balanced in the second half when they changed it around.

16 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

My opinion after Saturday's game .... i know it is pretty evident but we desperately need a winger to give a bit of pace and width and a true no9 (easier said than done i know) typified in the last minute. Thomson had the ball at the edge of the box, it opened up and nothing between him and the goals. What does he do, tries to pass it to someone in the box when he should have had a shot at goal. We could have nicked a draw after defending stoutly throughout.
I also thought the formation didn't work in the first half, team looked much better and balanced in the second half when they changed it around.

For me Grants tenure will be judged on who he brings in in january , as i have said before if he thinks we are good enough then his judgement will be seriously questioned  .

Last year after sixteen league games we had twelve points. This year we have two points more. Our goal difference is one worse.

Yes, we need to strengthen, but let's keep things in perspective.

It’s just default position for some people to slate any new manager.

Its the same people who gave Goodwin pelters for weeks on end telling him to gtf now wish he was still here

On 24/11/2019 at 06:59, Tamhain said:

Morton ruined him. He was absolutely outstanding in a rank rotten Alloa team when they signed him. Pretty much man of the match most weeks and scoring spectacular goals for fun from central midfield. Jim McInally decided not to play him there and he's never looked anywhere near as good since. 

Jamie played some good games for us, and scored some cracking goals. Wasn't as good as you make out though. Didn't seem to do very much after he left us.

On 09/12/2019 at 15:21, printer said:

Last year after sixteen league games we had twelve points. This year we have two points more. Our goal difference is one worse.

Yes, we need to strengthen, but let's keep things in perspective.

Indeed. Shame we didn't hold on until half-time on Saturday as that would have made a point at least more likely, but losing 2-1 at Tannadice is hardly a disaster. 

We are clearly too short of players and have been lucky thus far not to have suffered a string of injuries as we simply couldn't deal with it. But given when the manager came in, coupled with the fact that he didn't know the team or the division, then it is understandable that he didn't wade in and make a pile of signings before the window closed without being clear on what he had and what he needed. And it is encouraging that the signings that he did make have done well. I do have a slight concern about his comments a while back along the lines of not wanting to bring in players as the current squad work so hard and deserve to play, but hopefully he has seen enough now to know we need to strengthen. 

One other thing, I don't think we are making the most of Liam Buchanan. Still a very effective and clever player who is so good at linking things up and bringing others into play. Was terrific at Inverness and scored, and was then dropped. Fair enough might not be a starter every week, but for me he has been underused (and based on games I've seen has deserved to play more), and particularly hard to understand when we are short on numbers. 

Overall doing OK though and hanging in. Crucial to try and grab a few more points this month then hopefully get some decent loans in to boost our options. 

Edited by Waspie

Another disappointing display and result. We couldn't string two passes together and never really put pressure on Ayr when we had the wind at our back.
The January window is gonna be make or break for us.
My opinion, the team look tired and I think there are players that need a rest, but due to the lack of numbers in the squad, are playing either not fully fit or out of form.
Hopefully ohara's injury isn't too bad, cracking goal today.

14 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Another disappointing display and result. We couldn't string two passes together and never really put pressure on Ayr when we had the wind at our back.
My opinion, the team look tired and I think there are players that need a rest, but due to the lack of numbers in the squad, are playing either not fully fit or out of form.

Mr grant thinks we deserved a draw, he seems deluded slightly which is worrying .

22 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Mr grant thinks we deserved a draw, he seems deluded slightly which is worrying .

Didn't stick around for the post match yesterday but I think it's not unfair to say we could have easily got a draw. Wouldn't have been pretty but that's neither here nor there.

Its was always going to be a hard season we all know the Squad is light in numbers and hopefully a few loan signings in Jan . as long as we don't detach our self from the bottom 3 come April we have a shout of staying up . IMO QoS and Morton and one other will be in the mix at the bottom . we need to keep believing we can do it .

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Belated Christmas greetings to Wasps everywhere. There was some discontent on FB and Twitter after the Morton defeat but it's easy to forget the bigger picture and 2019 has been another very successful year for Alloa. 

The managerial change mid-summer was always going to cause upheaval. Personally, I suspect the timing of that change was the main reason we didn't add enough players before the window closed, despite the manager saying it was his choice. In the circumstances of the upheaval and an extremely small squad I think the team have done really well to get to this stage still (just about) in touch. There is no question that the Morton defeat was damaging (losing both games to Morton and Arbroath indeed) but the gap to the rest is far from insurmountable. The excellent core is still there and still formidable. The key now is to add a few signings, loans probably, to help them out. Some more pace and creativity in attack obviously crucial. The success of McDonald, Deas and O'Hara (and Malcolm pretty solid when deployed too) is encouraging and suggests the manager has an eye for a player. We'll need that. 

And if we can bring 2019 to an end with a positive result today, all the better. Mon the Wasps. 

Edited by Waspie