The Alloa Athletic Thread

Fantastic result again today. Team worked really hard and scored a fantastic goal. I thought deas, flannigan and Hetherington were top performers. I just feel we need to add a couple more players that can come off the bench and add to the last 20-30 mins as we tire a little and start to hang on. Not a lot of tried and tested on the bench to provide competition over the season.

Right peeps ! , as some of my posts suggest i am not a big fan of PG , wonder what your thoughts are . am i being harsh  ? is it too soon 

i just get a gut  feeling with him , that said after 8 points in 8 games  ( we had 8 points in 11 games last season ) it isnt too bad , two big defeats left me worried 

but last night was excellent   . I do hope PG proves me wrong ...   ....   ....   ....   ...fire away ... :guns

8 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Right peeps ! , as some of my posts suggest i am not a big fan of PG , wonder what your thoughts are . am i being harsh  ? is it too soon 

i just get a gut  feeling with him , that said after 8 points in 8 games  ( we had 8 points in 11 games last season ) it isnt too bad , two big defeats left me worried 

but last night was excellent   . I do hope PG proves me wrong ...   ....   ....   ....   ...fire away ... :guns

Last season we had Jake Hastie and Dario - that's a big difference. I have my doubts about PG, but the team have played well last couple of games showing a good team spirit  - so Im willing to give him benefit of doubt. After all, we are favourites to go down (as usual!)  One or two more players would be useful - but then thats always the case. 

As a side-note, looks like Jack Ross will soon be available again! 

1 minute ago, Vespa vulgaris said:

As a side-note, looks like Jack Ross will soon be available again! 

yeah , not a good result today for Sunderland  . the main difference to me is Zanatta with no replacement  , Deas is coming on but not as good as Roscoe was  IMO

Brown seems to be better with gametime though but if we don't improve the squad in january we will struggle  .

Still getting the benefit of the doubt from me. We've been all over the place in terms of performance, but the wheels haven't fallen off so far. If the new boss can increase the frequency of showings like last night, and minimise horrorshows like Ayr a few weeks back, he'll do fine.

It helps that our board are pretty good at picking managers. I'd have been more concerned when Grant was announced if it hadn't been for that.

Still very early days for him. He inherited an excellent nucleus of some of the best part-time players around with a terrific team spirit. On the downside, he came in right before the season started and we were a bit short as the previous manager was obviously aiming to bring in a few loans. PG also couldn't know much about our level. All that means that you need to give him a good bit longer before making any real judgements IMO.

What I would say is that what we didn't need were significant changes in formation and style. I don't think the early change in formation was a good idea. Last night to me looked like a classic Ross / Goodwin 4 2 3 1, with the added bonus of extra space to play in. That's a winning formula, so hopefully now we stick with it.  And if we are going back to it, that's a positive because it means he can see what works and is big enough to admit the tweak didn't succeed. Further to his credit, O'Hara looks promising and Deas I think will continue to grow as a a player next to AG. Getting MacDonald after the loss of Neily was a great piece of business. 

We are clearly short on numbers and we need to add at least a couple of loans at New Year, ideally pacy creative men for the 3 behind the striker. We'll need a bit of luck to get to that point without too many injuries and suspensions. Have to say I also had slight concerns about his tendency to pick players out for criticism in public. But team are very clearly pulling together still so that's probably misplaced. 

Some rocky and slightly worrying moments, but also plenty of real positives. The response to the Ayr shambles in particular. Promising enough start overall I think. 

Edited by Waspie

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 22:41, Waspie said:

Still very early days for him. He inherited an excellent nucleus of some of the best part-time players around with a terrific team spirit. On the downside, he came in right before the season started and we were a bit short as the previous manager was obviously aiming to bring in a few loans. PG also couldn't know much about our level. All that means that you need to give him a good bit longer before making any real judgements IMO.

What I would say is that what we didn't need were significant changes in formation and style. I don't think the early change in formation was a good idea. Last night to me looked like a classic Ross / Goodwin 4 2 3 1, with the added bonus of extra space to play in. That's a winning formula, so hopefully now we stick with it.  And if we are going back to it, that's a positive because it means he can see what works and is big enough to admit the tweak didn't succeed. Further to his credit, O'Hara looks promising and Deas I think will continue to grow as a a player next to AG. Getting MacDonald after the loss of Neily was a great piece of business. 

We are clearly short on numbers and we need to add at least a couple of loans at New Year, ideally pacy creative men for the 3 behind the striker. We'll need a bit of luck to get to that point without too many injuries and suspensions. Have to say I also had slight concerns about his tendency to pick players out for criticism in public. But team are very clearly pulling together still so that's probably misplaced. 

Some rocky and slightly worrying moments, but also plenty of real positives. The response to the Ayr shambles in particular. Promising enough start overall I think. 

One of my mates was playing for you and worked under Grant a bit. He really could have been quite bitter about being let go but he was overwhelmingly very impressed by him and thought that the coaching was outstanding and it was a level above anything he'd seen before, he also found him very reasonable and fair. I think it's a horrifically tough gig taking one of the part-time side but he's had you guys playing some nice stuff so far and at Dens, you really were unlucky to not take anything.

I'm quite happy for Dundee to just pay your chairman consultancy fees to pick the next manager.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

We've had young keeper Andrew Wilson on loan for a few months, and he has been in good form. He had an excellent game on Saturday with a couple of superb saves as we pulled off a surprise 1-0 win over Clydebank in the Scottish Junior Cup.

we like him here , some of us prefer him to our sub goalie  . good to hear he is doing well .

• 2 weeks later...

Another couple of injuries yesterday during a fantastic performance and result. Does anyone know the latest on the injury front? Liam Dick has been out for a while and I assume parry will be out most of the season. Brown looked like he had a sore one and Malcolm was struggling late on (Maybe just cramp). Good time for a couple of weeks break.

Another couple of injuries yesterday during a fantastic performance and result. Does anyone know the latest on the injury front? Liam Dick has been out for a while and I assume parry will be out most of the season. Brown looked like he had a sore one and Malcolm was struggling late on (Maybe just cramp). Good time for a couple of weeks break.

There isn't a break?

ETA: ignore me. Not sure why Alloa don't have a game. Maybe a team with a few international call ups?

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 07:03, BendtnerBairn said:

Morton ruined him. He was absolutely outstanding in a rank rotten Alloa team when they signed him. Pretty much man of the match most weeks and scoring spectacular goals for fun from central midfield. Jim McInally decided not to play him there and he's never looked anywhere near as good since.