The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, whereismillar said:

If Deas doesn't cut it we can be assured Robbo will be  back in so we have the option, harsh on him yep ! but also cover for midfield (his natural position)

looks like Deas will be a good addition though , well thought of from the beath fans .  on another note was surprised to see the Falkirk fans opinion of O'hara

they rate him very lowly , but seems to be proving them wrong to an extent .

If P&B is a reliable guide then the Falkirk support has an extremely high ratio of imbeciles. As such, wouldn't worry too much about their opinions. 

We were certainly short at the back so the addition of Deas looks like a good piece of business. Agree that it is tough on Robbo if he drops out. Both Robertson and Taggart have done really well in roles that aren't their favoured positions. Two really excellent players and pros and we're lucky to have them. 

I too hope and suspect that Taggart will revert to his right-back role. I think he will be delighted that the Recs pitch has been re-widened and under Grant's system the full-backs are virtually wingers when we are in possession (Liam Dick has almost become a targetman on occasion so far and is playing 20-30 yards higher up the pitch than last season). That more advanced role will suit Taggart perfectly and his deliver is a bit better than Robbo's (although Robbo's two assists v Elgin were nicely done), so it could prove to be a potent weapon in upcoming games.

Taggart could also make his milestone 150th appearance for the Wasps tomorrow - his consistency and versatility makes him an integral member of the team, albeit as a defender he will never grab many headlines!

Taggart...delivery is a bit better than Robbo's (although Robbo's two assists v Elgin were nicely done)

Robbo's delivery is much, much better than Taggs. He's one of and possibly the best passer of the ball we have at the club. Replacing Robbo with Taggs weakens us in an attacking sense IMO.

I'd say Taggs was the better defender of the two, if only for his pace when isolated against a quick winger.

was surprised to see the Falkirk fans opinion of O'hara
they rate him very lowly , but seems to be proving them wrong to an extent .

It's early days to see how O'Hara does for us, although he has started well and gives us something Buchs and Thomson don't.

I wouldn't be surprised at any opinion the P&B Falkirk fans express.

Probably a bad game to ask but how did Deas look against Morton
thought I would take this post off page 2  should bounce back from that result 
but will miss big Andy .
He'll need a few games to get used to the team and playing beside Big Andy. Although Andy getting sent off on Saturday doesn't help matters. The second half was really grim at times. Something like seven bookings and a red card for Alloa sums up our day. Cawley going off was a major turning point for us, why Robbo didn't come on instead of Brown was a bit confusing.

I've been really impressed with O'Hara since he came in. He has bags of pace and a good work rate.

Hopefully the second half was just one of those days and we get back to playing like we did against Partick.

He'll need a few games to get used to the team and playing beside Big Andy. Although Andy getting sent off on Saturday doesn't help matters.

Agreed.

I thought Robbie looked off the pace on Saturday, but then it's a huge step up from what he's been used to and far too early to judge him.

For those of us old enough, it's unbelievable to think that it's 20 years ago this autumn that we won the challenge cup. A truly brilliant campaign and final. A magnificent achievement especially given how good that Inverness team were. It would be nice to see the club honour the hero's of 1999. 

One of my best days at the football in 44 years supporting alloa and luckily there have been many.   Great memories of the whole tournament including an injury ravaged alloa coming back to beat Stirling at forthbank  in the semi final. 

1 hour ago, Oweny said:

For those of us old enough, it's unbelievable to think that it's 20 years ago this autumn that we won the challenge cup. A truly brilliant campaign and final. A magnificent achievement especially given how good that Inverness team were. It would be nice to see the club honour the hero's of 1999. 

One of my best days at the football in 44 years supporting alloa and luckily there have been many.   Great memories of the whole tournament including an injury ravaged alloa coming back to beat Stirling at forthbank  in the semi final. 

I wouldn't hold any great hope of the club honouring it Owen, Mike had no interest when it was the tenth anniversary. 

I don't think there will ever be another final to natch that one. My voice was gone by the end of it. 

31 minutes ago, Tamhain said:

I wouldn't hold any great hope of the club honouring it Owen, Mike had no interest when it was the tenth anniversary. 

I don't think there will ever be another final to natch that one. My voice was gone by the end of it. 

Was a great game , was at Airdrie's ground ? can't remember much after it … 🙂 

It's early days but I'm trying to organise a match between the supporters team and the Challenge Cup winning squad for sometime in November.

7 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Surprise, surprise ... Dunfermline away.

What dreams are made of.

I'm actually quite pleased it's not Dundee United though, a half an hour to Dunfermline is much more pleasant.

Quite disappointed it's not Wrexham though.

A great signing. He can be a bit frustrating, often takes the wrong option, is a bit raw, and sometimes try to do everything himself; but he never stops working, has good pace, bags of skill, and will get you goals out of nothing.

He was a massive part in us staying up last year.