The Alloa Athletic Thread

First time I’ve seen Peter Grant’s Alloa side yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how well everything seemed to click on the middle of the park. What a difference having the pitch extended makes.

Stevie Hetherington was phenomenal once again, as was Flanny. Neil Parry being back made the world of difference too. A couple of really, really good saves. The attacking options up front was also really encouraging. Buchanan linked up well with the likes of Trouten and O’Hara, who never stopped running and pestering all game long - impressed. The way we were able to change the whole attacking set up with Thomson and Stirling too was great. Everything stuck with Thommo and he gave us something totally different.

Disappointed not to start with three points but we’re in a much better place than when we were first game last season. A few more signings into that team and a wee bit of cutting edge, we’ll be there. Good to see that Deas deal is almost through. Highly rated and think he’ll slot in well beside Andy. Another few options to that and we’re a go!

Not getting carried away but encouraging signs already there.

Thought it was a really bright start to the season, some good football through the middle. Flannigan controlled the first half and Hetherington the second and Thistle never really created anything outside the 15-20 mins they dominated at the start of the second half - couple of Parry’s saves in that spell were crucial.

Was impressed with O’Hara’s work rate but didn’t think Thomson offered much when he came on, couple of times he broke free if he had lifted his head there were options with him to pick out.

Only disappointment was Thistle were gash and were there for the taking yesterday, especially when Hetherington was put through in the 2nd half.

Already mentioned it in the match thread, but Thomson took the heat off us- we were under pressure when he was introduced. He got us up the pitch with good hold up play and caused the Thistle defence problems. For a guy just back from injury with barely any first team game time, I thought he made a really positive impression on the game.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I like the cut of Peter Grant's jib. Glad he's not content to just survive, even if Alloa are part-time.
Last season showed there's plenty of full-time muck to finish above in this league.

Imo the league is even weaker than last season.

It’s not out of Alloa’s reach to finish higher than they did last season.

If Robbie Deas cam maintain the quality of loan deal centre halves we have had over the last few years (Lindsay, McKenna, McCart, Roscoe) then I'll be delighted. Not sure I'm happy with Taggs not appearing beside Andy Graham, but we'll see.

Going by the managers comments on the website, looks like a fairly immediate strategy to get Taggart back to right back and subsequently Robbo punted out of the starting lineup as a result.

If so, harsh on Robbo whos been brilliant for us on a consistent basis for some time.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

4 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

As good as Taggs is at centre back, I think we do miss him at right back. Harsh on Robbo though I agree. If Taggart wants to play right back and is more comfortable there then it seems like an obvious choice to move him out with Deas coming in.

If Deas doesn't cut it we can be assured Robbo will be  back in so we have the option, harsh on him yep ! but also cover for midfield (his natural position)

looks like Deas will be a good addition though , well thought of from the beath fans .  on another note was surprised to see the Falkirk fans opinion of O'hara

they rate him very lowly , but seems to be proving them wrong to an extent .