The Alloa Athletic Thread

What would you say the formation was last night. I couldn’t call it.

I would suggest it was a diamond formation with both left and right side midfielders being too narrow reducing the width leaving the fullbacks as the only wide options

4 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would suggest it was a diamond formation with both left and right side midfielders being too narrow reducing the width leaving the fullbacks as the only wide options

Absolutely- could certainly see a diamond in the second half when he switched it a bit...first half seemed a bit of a mess though. Why play Flanny left with Andy Stirling through the middle. Stirling looks far more effective when hes able to find a bit of space and run at defenders. Flanny and Stevie H are the proven centre midfielders in the engine room. Looks like the manager saw this and Flanny had far more of a free role after the break where he could get himself involved a lot more and dictate the play. Still thought it took a Stirling opener to really wake us up though. 

The managers not had a pre season to work with these guys so we have to give him time to figure it all out. We beat Stirling for the ninth time in a row, the other results in the group are fairly meaningless.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I noticed hearts had to come from behind against a much weaker opponent a few divisions below them also last night in the pre season cup. Games are unpredictable this time of the season. Players are just trying to get fit and managers are trying out new systems . I noticed jim  Goodwin is under pressure already unbelievable really. 

I think we need to chill and this is a fine thing coming from me . Very early days.  We know what these players are capable of but we also know we need strengthening to replace last season's star turns . 

Mon alloa 

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Thoughts on Jack Aitchson boys? Think he'd be a good addition for Dundee? What's his role like?

2 mins in for this goal from Aitchison , not bad but we didn't see as much of him as we would have liked . tricky player sure he can do something for you , is he loaned or permanent ?

Thoughts on Jack Aitchson boys? Think he'd be a good addition for Dundee? What's his role like?

I liked him...for such a young guy I thought he was always cool and composed on the ball, never panicked into making a pass and always looked to weigh up his options...

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

He missed loads being away with Scotland. When he got in the team I think he was a big reason behind our winning run. As a small striker he dealt with defenders brilliantly. Definitely got bigger things to come from him.

Give him half a chances and he’ll score more than he misses. A big part in the winning run that kept us up. Would love it if we managed to get him back although highly doubtful.

Surprisingly looking forward to the season after today we looked sharper going forward than previous games and seen nothing from Arbroath to really threaten us. over the course of the season we should have enough about us to challenge for safety again this year.

Thought we deserved the win yesterday. Played really well when we had the ball, with Flanny running the game from the base of the diamond, ably supported by wee Kev (who thrived being more involved), Trouts, Buchs and Robbo. Everyone else was at least solid. Henry could have done better for both goals IMO, but he had a couple of very good saves.

Arbroath were OK, played good stuff at times and in Bobby Linn they have a very dangerous player.