The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, printer said:

Entertaining game last night. I thought Elgin did really well and deserved their draw, although two of their goals were very soft from our point of view.

Robbo was my MotM for his two excellent passes for Trout's and Buch's goals. O'Hara similarly did well for Wee Kev's goal.

We knocked the ball about nicely, but looked still a little way off top sharpness. O'Hara has pace and gave us a threat in behind, which should prove handy in the Championship.

Got to Agree , O'hara may not have scored many but his assists were refreshing, their is a player there for sure and still only 20 , Elgin played well 

but we shot ourselves in the foot ,but early days and this I hope is a wake up call .

15 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

Perry, Robertson Graham Taggart Dick; Cawley Hetherington Flannigan Brown; Troutten Buchannan.

Subs - Aloulou Henry Murray O'Donnell O'Harra Stirling

Has he signed for you guys again?

Felt sorry for him watching the shitfest that was Berwick around him.

Peter Grant after defeat in Penalty Shoot-Out

Obviously disappointed at outcome of tonight’s game but not the performance, the goals were disappointing, we had spoke about losing goals especially the second one, I had noticed in the Livingston game last week about our marking, I wasn’t happy with that, so we spoke about that and then conceded again tonight, “Robbo” apologised he is still a young man learning the game but we need that concentration level.

In general play, I thought we played a lot of good stuff but losing three goals from three set plays which we had spoken about, we shouldn’t be losing three goals from set plays and every goal we scored we had to work hard for. We had a lot of young boys on the bench this evening who had earned that opportunity; we are still looking to bring in new guys, which are important to build the group up which is important.

The cup is important for us, we want to win every game we play, that never changes and we will look to go and put out on a similar performances with the ball at Hibernian, but we need to be tougher with the ball and be hard to beat, we need to keep playing that way moving and turning the ball over but at set Plays, 80% in Championship are scored at set plays.

So pleased with generally our play but need to cut out silly mistakes.

Peter Grant

Alloa Athletic FCManager

Found the comment about Robbo being a young man and learning the game strange, he is 30 and has played over 400 games as a pro!

Also, not sure where he has pulled the 80% of set piece goals from, can that be true?

Edited by Recsnotindodrill

Last nights defensive debacle aside I thought we were alright and O'hara looked like a good addition pacey and hard working ,

he gave 100% but if he wants to crack on he will need to do this 100% of the time , looking forward to seeing Robert Thomson too when he is fully fit 

I believe he will debut in the reserves to get match fit .

Last nights defensive debacle aside I thought we were alright and O'hara looked like a good addition pacey and hard working ,
he gave 100% but if he wants to crack on he will need to do this 100% of the time , looking forward to seeing Robert Thomson too when he is fully fit 
I believe he will debut in the reserves to get match fit .
Correct

2 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Taggs is 27 so not much difference.

Robbo was certainly at fault for shane sutherlands goal but still a strange comment to make

30's young for a 53 year old. And you should always be learning, never standing still so to speak so I can understand both comments. Although yeah, 80% of goals in the championship sounds too high but as there's plenty of figures that tell you how dangerous set pieces are, I'll chalk that up to exaggeration for emphasis as opposed to anything else. 

Didn,t make the game on Tuesday but after watching the excellent highlights all three of our goals came from balls in from wide.We have a group of players who attempt to get it down and play yet we still have the narrow pitch which gives us no help at all.It also lets the bigger stronger sides go route one from anywhere and put us under pressure.If we start the season with it still in place I will be gutted.Its Ray McKinnon levels of negativity and our players don,t deserve it.Small wonder Scottish football is nowhere in the grand scheme of things when this is what coaches come up with.

9 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

Didn,t make the game on Tuesday but after watching the excellent highlights all three of our goals came from balls in from wide.We have a group of players who attempt to get it down and play yet we still have the narrow pitch which gives us no help at all.It also lets the bigger stronger sides go route one from anywhere and put us under pressure.If we start the season with it still in place I will be gutted.Its Ray McKinnon levels of negativity and our players don,t deserve it.Small wonder Scottish football is nowhere in the grand scheme of things when this is what coaches come up with.

I hate the narrow pitch, almost to the point that coming into next season I'll probably prefer to go to away games than at home.

10 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

I hate the narrow pitch, almost to the point that coming into next season I'll probably prefer to go to away games than at home.

Have to agree with that. I only got to 7 or 8 games last season but for the most part it was like watching paint dry at home. Very few goals scored and mainly relying on set pieces. 

I didn't particularly enjoy watching games on it either. Alloa got a bit better at finding space as they got used to it, but it certainly isn't something which suits our players and it is frustrating to watch. Suspect with the new gaffer just in the door that he is unlikely to change it. 

Tough challenge for the Wasps today and hopefully we can give Hibs a game. Will certainly need to be a lot tighter than Tuesday night. 

Delighted to read the last few pages and see that many of the Alloa support were also questioning the clubs pricing policy for the Betfred cup matches.

I don’t think I’ll ever get my head around the Alloa boards thinking on this issue and, despite the fact that there has been an obvious rivalry between the 2 clubs over the years, I would have thought that would have given even more reason for sensible pricing.

2 seasons ago, we took enough fans to fill the terrace at Ochilview on both occasions and without any exaggeration, I would have expected similar numbers again for tomorrow night, but that won’t happen now.

Stirling fans have indeed decided to boycott the match, yeah there will be a handful through I’m sure, but that’s nothing compared to the couple of hundred that would have attended the match if the price was set at say, £12 for an adult (which is what we charged against Hibs & Arbroath) or maybe even the £10 that Elgin charged us on Saturday.

For the sake of Alloa, I hope that enough pressure can be made by the fans, over the course of the season, that the board will reconsider the decision for future seasons. As ultimately a fan of Scottish Football, it’s a sad advert for football at Part Time level and within the Stirlingshire area that this derby is going to be played in front of 200-300 people again.

It's been happening long enough now that the board obviously aren't fussed about low crowds for the cup games. I couldn't give a monkey's about the new "Challenge Cup", as I'm happy for that to continue to be a failure, but it's poor for the League Cup matches IMO. The only explanation I can think of is that they don't want to be seen to devalue the product (horrible phrase), but it seems that other clubs are happy to reduce the price for these games, so they're on to a loser with that idea.

Basically, we hear this every season, and nobody here is happy about it either, but it doesn't look like it's going to change, no matter how unpopular it's making us with visiting fans  :(

Delighted to read the last few pages and see that many of the Alloa support were also questioning the clubs pricing policy for the Betfred cup matches.

I don’t think I’ll ever get my head around the Alloa boards thinking on this issue and, despite the fact that there has been an obvious rivalry between the 2 clubs over the years, I would have thought that would have given even more reason for sensible pricing.

2 seasons ago, we took enough fans to fill the terrace at Ochilview on both occasions and without any exaggeration, I would have expected similar numbers again for tomorrow night, but that won’t happen now.

Stirling fans have indeed decided to boycott the match, yeah there will be a handful through I’m sure, but that’s nothing compared to the couple of hundred that would have attended the match if the price was set at say, £12 for an adult (which is what we charged against Hibs & Arbroath) or maybe even the £10 that Elgin charged us on Saturday.

For the sake of Alloa, I hope that enough pressure can be made by the fans, over the course of the season, that the board will reconsider the decision for future seasons. As ultimately a fan of Scottish Football, it’s a sad advert for football at Part Time level and within the Stirlingshire area that this derby is going to be played in front of 200-300 people again.

It is what it is