The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, printer said:

Other clubs are probably having to sign players "left, right and centre" because their teams underperformed (in their eyes) last year. We didn't. We have a strong nucleus of a successful team. Yes, we still need a few players, but we are in the fortunate position of being able to wait for the right players. When we do make further signings then it will be posted on the site; not much point in putting something on there just for the sake of it.

"Little or now return"? What about the footbalk we've seen the last three years?

I'd say that the football we have had since Tom Hendry has been excellent bar the season we slipped back to the  non blue flag" seaside league has been great. The appointment at this stage of Paul Hartley was a god send for the club and we really enjoyed football at it's best (in my lifetime) at the Recs.

But the constant 'secrecy' not keeping fans up to date season after season does wear thin. In the League Cup (or meaningful friendlies) to ask for full price for admission  doesn't shine well on the club and I for one will not pay full price to see us play a team that could be heading back to the Highland League set up.

We are still showing this on the Official Site - 

Jim Goodwin at Ayr 

05 May 2019 08:23:38

Jim Goodwin after finishing 8th in Championship

The club can't keep the official site, so no chance of supporters being kept up to date then

I'm also convinced goodwill is actually a monetisable asset, although it's not something you can budget for and £18 group stage games against let's be honest two sides in the bottom tier of senior football seriously damages that asset.

I agree that £18 is steep for games such as tonight's and I understand your point about goodwill being worth something in money terms, but I don't think it's a huge amount for the club and while there may well be an impact on that value from charging £18, I don't think it's a serious one tbh.

Mike M didn't get where he is by not understanding the true worth of his assets.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

what is grinding my gears is the fact their is still no publicity about this fixture tonight no word on admittance fee , nothing ,

in this day and age of social media its pretty poor

Yep, agree. Full price for these games is a bad call from the club, particularly given the chance of a decent gate for Grants first game in charge. But to not even confirm or declare the pricing beforehand paints a really poor picture of taking the rank and file support for granted. 

Its the managers first game, yet zero detail or publicity for this match has been issued via the social media channels.

4 hours ago, printer said:

I agree that £18 is steep for games such as tonight's and I understand your point about goodwill being worth something in money terms, but I don't think it's a huge amount for the club and while there may well be an impact on that value from charging £18, I don't think it's a serious one tbh.

Mike M didn't get where he is by not understanding the true worth of his assets.

Nah it definitely is, I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. Think about next week for example against Stirling which they will again boycott. Last year's attendance was 300 if all that's at £18 then £5400 all in, say we made it £12 and 600 came £7200; Although I certainly remember games against Stirling always being over 1000 in attendance 10-15 years ago.

You don't get all the backlash about being the most expensive gate. You may well get people who don't come down regularly interested just because we go out and thrash Elgin 5-0 which adds up. Even sway some mibbe season tickets into ayes.

These are all non-insignificant numbers. But then again it's not my money so I don't get to choose what to do with it.

4 hours ago, whereismillar said:

what is grinding my gears is the fact their is still no publicity about this fixture tonight no word on admittance fee , nothing ,

in this day and age of social media its pretty poor

I'm on holiday. Square go in the centre circle at half time. 😂 Social media is a volunteers job and I have literally been swamped since the friendlies started.

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Square go in the centre circle at half time.

Yer on! …  might make the entry fee more worthwhile watching a young dude get a tanking from an old guy  😁        I am certain an 

Alloa fan who comes on here offered to help the clubs media side and was turned down , he could have stood in when you were paddling in the Med .

15 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Alloa fan who comes on here offered to help the clubs media side and was turned down , he could have stood in when you were paddling in the Med .

I also offered to lend a hand but was informed by an official that the OS was in good hands

19 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Why haven’t we seen robert thomson yet, Anyone know?

Heard somewhere that he was recovering from injury when we signed him and not expected to go straight into action. 

I'd say that the football we have had since Tom Hendry has been excellent bar the season we slipped back to the  non blue flag" seaside league has been great. The appointment at this stage of Paul Hartley was a god send for the club and we really enjoyed football at it's best (in my lifetime) at the Recs.
But the constant 'secrecy' not keeping fans up to date season after season does wear thin. In the League Cup (or meaningful friendlies) to ask for full price for admission  doesn't shine well on the club and I for one will not pay full price to see us play a team that could be heading back to the Highland League set up.
We are still showing this on the Official Site - 

Jim Goodwin at Ayr 

05 May 2019 08:23:38

Jim Goodwin after finishing 8th in Championship

The club can't keep the official site, so no chance of supporters being kept up to date then

Get it right up ya🤣🤣

Entertaining game last night. I thought Elgin did really well and deserved their draw, although two of their goals were very soft from our point of view.

Robbo was my MotM for his two excellent passes for Trout's and Buch's goals. O'Hara similarly did well for Wee Kev's goal.

We knocked the ball about nicely, but looked still a little way off top sharpness. O'Hara has pace and gave us a threat in behind, which should prove handy in the Championship.