The Alloa Athletic Thread

Got to trust the board and their judgement , this one has took me by surprise , has experience and deserves as much chance as any other names mentioned 

may bring in some good loans from sellick ?

just hoping he has the same attack mindedness as jim/jack .

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/grant-plastic-can-be-just-fantastic-for-the-scots-in-kazakhstan/

just as well Peter . 

Edited by whereismillar

Awful appointment. His knowledge of the Scottish game is pretty poor, Clyde apart, as the majority of his paid for "scouting assignments" were watching his son.

Zander Clark had kept five top flight clean sheets in a row, had the most in the division, and had won a MoM award in two games against Celtic for the sheer amount of saves he made.

Grant admitted he recommended he be ignored for a call up because "he conceded six against Celtic", and they chose Jamie Macdonald, Kilmarnocks 32yo sub keeper, instead.

Prepare to sign absolutely any former Celtic player you can get.

Not fully processed this unexpected choice with being away out the country. I’m not disappointed and as negative as posters on here, it’s an interesting one. He’s never really managed before but has plenty experience in the game. I didn’t want a total novice - get eaten alive in this league.

However, I don’t want McLeish dinosaur football. Let’s see how it plays out - I’m intrigued! I hope he can utilise his big contact list. Just glad the saga is over to be honest and it’s not Naysmith or Hartley.

Goodwin was supposed to be an anti-football failure when he came in, as have many ...

ETA - dome some research and shows how much I know. Managed Norwich.

Good luck Peter and welcome to Alloa 

Just glad we have appointed a manager at a crucial time of the season . I suspect he has many contacts and is well experienced as a coach.  We never go down the predictable route and it seems to work for us. Mike had not made many bad appointments in his time and he has to be trusted . 

Mon alloa

Underwhelming, not in the frame for any recent job as I can recall, must be a reason for this, still got to give him a chance I suppose. 

Bets on the new away strip being green and white hoops !!

4 hours ago, bsd said:

Hilarious to hear tonight that some folk aren't coming back  due to this appointment.  Seriously get a grip.

Unbelievable to think folk wont come back due to the appointment. Just like any new managers some work out some dont, the chairman has obviously heard enough to think he is the man for the job and with his track record with picking managers you just need to trust him. Utterly ridiculous for people to say they wont be back just because of the new manager. Wont be that if we win our first few league games and they will all be back with their tails between their legs.

7 hours ago, bsd said:

Hilarious to hear tonight that some folk aren't coming back  due to this appointment.  Seriously get a grip.

Probably the same folk that burned their other scarf when Maurice Johnston signed for Rangers. 

Not the usual type of Mulraney appointment but here's hoping he's picked well again. That and he has 5 or 6 players lined up to give the squad depth and competition for places. 

Think it's pathetic people not coming back . An absolute embarrassment. 

Our club is well run punching well above its weight and has a brilliant track record of appointments who move on to better things. Certainly many of the negative comments on the arsebook were from people who are never near the recs anymore but experts on football.

Agree with a lot of the previous comments...

Christ I was a Rangers fan all my life before moving to Alloa 8 years ago. Can’t be doing with bigotry so made a decision to follow my local team and now entering my 5th year as a season ticket holder. Used to hate Peter Grant but he will get my full 100% support.

Yes there were names linked with the job that I would have preferred but I would rather Peter Grant than some of the other names linked such as Archibald or Naysmith...

‘Mon The Wasps...

Agree with a lot of the previous comments...

Yes there were names linked with the job that I would have preferred but I would rather Peter Grant than some of the other names linked such as Archibald or Naysmith...

‘Mon The Wasps...

Totally agree think a lot of people caught by surprise as it wasn’t one of the fancied names. The same was being said on forums about Goodwin when he got the job. Come what may most of us will be there week in week out.

Quite a surprising choice but Mike Mulraney has a good track record and Grant has obviously impressed him. His best appointments have been younger managers having their first shot at it, rather than Smith and Lennon who were a bit mixed, but I thought he made a good point in saying that there is no set model and that he just goes for the best candidate. Can't argue with that. 

Personally not interested in people's previous clubs and if people are genuinely getting fired up about such things then we can do without them. They should also remember though that Alloa have had plenty ex Celtic and Rangers people as managers going back a long, long time. A man with a Celtic background similar to Grant, James McStay, built one of the greatest Alloa sides of all time. But really who gives a f**k, we are Alloa! 

Main thing for me is that the new manger doesn't try to come in and make loads of changes. He has an excellent nucleus, established way of playing and a great dressing room. Just needs to ca canny initially, add a few good signings (hopefully Jim has left his list of prospective loans) and take it from there. 

Welcome Peter and mon the Wasps. 

Quite a surprising choice but Mike Mulraney has a good track record and Grant has obviously impressed him. His best appointments have been younger managers having their first shot at it, rather than Smith and Lennon who were a bit mixed, but I thought he made a good point in saying that there is no set model and that he just goes for the best candidate. Can't argue with that. 
Personally not interested in people's previous clubs and if people are genuinely getting fired up about such things then we can do without them. They should also remember though that Alloa have had plenty ex Celtic and Rangers people as managers going back a long, long time. A man with a Celtic background similar to Grant, James McStay, built one of the greatest Alloa sides of all time. But really who gives a f**k, we are Alloa! 
Main thing for me is that the new manger doesn't try to come in and make loads of changes. He has an excellent nucleus, established way of playing and a great dressing room. Just needs to ca canny initially, add a few good signings (hopefully Jim has left his list of prospective loans) and take it from there. 
Welcome Peter and mon the Wasps. 
Great post onwards and upwards

As I said previously I'm disappointed with this appointment, but that's entirely down to his poor record as manager and patchy (at best) record as a coach. Also, he has absolutely no experience of working with a part time setup (as far as I can see).

On the plus side the hope would be that his time with the Scotland team, and youth teams has provided him with an insight into the decent young players that we may get in on loan.

A lot of people are quoting MM's record of recognising and appointing managers but his successes have largely been with young managers moving into their first job rather than experienced managers. Barry Smith and Danny Lennon both did OK initially but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Having said all of the above I hope that I'll be proven wrong and Grant will turn out to be a great manager for us. Once the action starts I'll put my misgivings to one side and support the manager and team as always. And anyone who says that they're not coming back because of Grant's Celtic connections is a dick.

6 minutes ago, Dink said:

anyone who says that they're not coming back because of Grant's Celtic connections is a dick.

Totally agree. These people are small minded ringpieces imo. 

Its 30 years since rangers swiped Mo Johnston out from under celtics nose, and there still bitterness oozing from some of these bigoted fucks. Some folks need to get a bloody grip of themselves. 

not entirely happy with PG as manager, (nothing to do with his celtic connections) but will support and hope he does well 

to the ones who are walking away "byeee! " we don't want or need your so called support . we may get the odd sellick fan wandering in now and then 

to see Grant's team he was well thought of as a player there ,