The Alloa Athletic Thread

Don't think it will be Paul Hartley IMO It should be Andy Graham with an Experienced No 2

Wouldn’t want to see Andy in yet. Too important a player to lose on the park - he scooped every single award last year and was our stand out player. Imagine losing that. Goodwin was in a lower league and as a total novice was able to make mistakes and still have a strong enough team for it not be totally disastrous. Would this league be as forgiving on Andy Graham should he needs the time Goody needed? Absolutely not.

We need someone who has some games under his belt or has been coaching for a while at a decent level. Like said above we don’t want any stalling period or a time where a novice would have to learn. Season starts in weeks, recruitment needs done so it’s got to be totally seamless and quick as possible.

Wouldn’t want to see Andy in yet. Too important a player to lose on the park - he scooped every single award last year and was our stand out player. Imagine losing that. Goodwin was in a lower league and as a total novice was able to make mistakes and still have a strong enough team for it not be totally disastrous. Would this league be as forgiving on Andy Graham should he needs the time Goody needed? Absolutely not.

We need someone who has some games under his belt or has been coaching for a while at a decent level. Like said above we don’t want any stalling period or a time where a novice would have to learn. Season starts in weeks, recruitment needs done so it’s got to be totally seamless and quick as possible.
So if you had one choice who would it be

27 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
29 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

So if you had one choice who would it be

I like the Hartley shout personally, he knows the club and some of the squad should be an easy enough transition.

Don't think it will be Andy Graham and not sure that would be a great choice.

I think we'll go for a similar appointment to Goody, Ross and Hartley. A top division player who is respected in the game, is intelligent, has leadership qualities and (as a result) good contacts in the Scottish game.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to who that might be. Would likely need to be someone who has retired recently or is near the end of his career and just a squad player now.

Re Paul Hartley, really not sure how I feel. Clearly he was brilliant for us last time, but things move on and he's carrying a bit of baggage. Plus our threads would be full of brain dead Falkirk fans - although if he did well the seethe from them would be glorious. [emoji16]

3 minutes ago, printer said:

Don't think it will be Andy Graham and not sure that would be a great choice.

I think we'll go for a similar appointment to Goody, Ross and Hartley. A top division player who is respected in the game, is intelligent, has leadership qualities and (as a result) good contacts in the Scottish game.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to who that might be. Would likely need to be someone who has retired recently or is near the end of his career and just a squad player now.

Re Paul Hartley, really not sure how I feel. Clearly he was brilliant for us last time, but things move on and he's carrying a bit of baggage. Plus our threads would be full of brain dead Falkirk fans - although if he did well the seethe from them would be glorious. emoji16.png

Agree I am not in favour of Hartley return but the seething and self-loathing of Falkirk fans would be hilarious if he did well with us would be wonderful.

My choice would be Callum Davidson or Stewart Petrie both fit the criteria the club appear to be using to fill the vacant managers post.

It literally could be anyone, so hard to predict. Two of the people who fit the category that I was talking about would be Stewart Petrie or Callum Davidson. One has experience in management but still a somewhat upcoming manager and the other hasn’t managed before but has been involved at the coaching side for a while now.

Not sure how realistic either of them are but would be happy with them.

Although I don’t think Darren Young would be the worst appointment, I would keep away from that as well. Don’t think his name would be mentioned if he hadn’t had a successful playing career here and the collapse of his teams recently give me a wee bit of the fear.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I suggested that,  as an out of work Manager,  Naysmith might put himself  in the frame  the last time Goodwin was on the verge if leaving, not necessarily get the job,   it seemed to upset some among the Alloa support for some reason. 

In  that you are most likely right ,but when fans of a club who sacked said person come on and suggest he is up for the job maybe it is more wishful thinking on your part

as regards automatic relegation spot guaranteed .

Agree I am not in favour of Hartley return but the seething and self-loathing of Falkirk fans would be hilarious if he did well with us would be wonderful.

My choice would be Callum Davidson or Stewart Petrie both fit the criteria the club appear to be using to fill the vacant managers post.

Hand's off Sir Stewart Petrie [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

I think a player like Barry Robson would be the kind of guy Mike will look at, ex pro at a good level who has done his learning up at Aberdeen under mcinnes and wants to take his first step in management