The Alloa Athletic Thread

Stirling has ability though he can be a frustrating player. Never fully trusted by Naysmith and barely featured in the play offs (late sub in 3 out of 4 games) under Johnston either. Good luck to him. Fully expect him to be brilliant against us. [emoji852]️
Where did he generally play for QotS? I expect Goodwin sees him as one if the three in our usual 4-2-3-1 line up.

Dario is 22 now and you would suspect the extra year he got at Hearts when they extended his loan in January probably represents his last crack at making the grade with them. I would imagine he'll be going all out to make an impact there in the next few months and that another loan now, anywhere, is pointless. Only reason I could see him coming back out would be after New Year if he hasn't made  a breakthrough at Hearts and is looking for a new club. And he'd get a full time gig in those circumstances. 

As for new faces, we know the drill now. The manager will be aiming for a few loans that won't be confirmed for weeks yet. We'll need more players in for the League Cup though and hopefully he can get at least another couple of really strong signings in before then. There was an element of panic about certain additions at the same time last summer and obvious preferable to avoid that. 

As for Ahmad, I'd be happy enough if he got a short team deal and a chance in aforementioned League Cup games. Didn't do much at Berwick, but Berwick was an absolute disaster of a place to be playing your football the last few months. He has pace, power and skill and would be interesting to see him get a game or two, particularly when we are likely to be a little light next month. Odds are against him making it, but don't see any harm in giving him some game time in these circumstances. 

Edit - two really good signings confirmed as I wrote that [emoji4]

Agree about Dario.

Think we are looking stronger already than the squad we had for the Betfred Cup last year. Another centre half is the obvious gap just now. We might have to make do until a loan comes in, but we would certainly be light in that area.

I think we are in a good position as it stands, if we had a game today and could field the below side, I would have zero issues with it!

Parry

Robertson Taggart Graham Dick

Flanny Hetherington

Cawley Trouten Stirling

Thomson

Christ if we started the first league game with that team i would be happy!

Buchs or Thomson is already a decent debate for who leads the line. Assuming Goody does keep with that 4-2-3-1. No doubt he’ll be mixing and matching in friendlies & cup to get a better gauge.

As it stands, both coming off fairly uninspiring spells after banging them in a few years back - hopefully rekindle that this season. However, both better options than what we had last year as our out and out striker so more than happy.

1 hour ago, printer said:
12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Stirling has ability though he can be a frustrating player. Never fully trusted by Naysmith and barely featured in the play offs (late sub in 3 out of 4 games) under Johnston either. Good luck to him. Fully expect him to be brilliant against us. emoji852.png

Where did he generally play for QotS? I expect Goodwin sees him as one if the three in our usual 4-2-3-1 line up.

Generally played wide. Can play either left or right as wide player. 

14 minutes ago, Recsnotindodrill said:

I think we are in a good position as it stands, if we had a game today and could field the below side, I would have zero issues with it!

Parry

Robertson Taggart Graham Dick

Flanny Hetherington

Cawley Trouten Stirling

Thomson

Christ if we started the first league game with that team i would be happy!

Not bad team for starting the season. Personally I would still like a CB and holding midfielder in before the start of the season due to lack of cover.

JG will stick with his tried and tested formation as he can be very stubborn at times about formation and fitting players in to the squad.

18 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Buchs or Thomson is already a decent debate for who leads the line. Assuming Goody does keep with that 4-2-3-1. No doubt he’ll be mixing and matching in friendlies & cup to get a better gauge.

As it stands, both coming off fairly uninspiring spells after banging them in a few years back - hopefully rekindle that this season. However, both better options than what we had last year as our out and out striker so more than happy.

I forgot about Buchs when putting that team down! Even better!

Thomson was actually much better for us when he was deployed wide. He played as a sort of wide target man type and was very good at drifting inside. His main strengths are with the ball at his feet but he was also decent in the air and it seemed to be the perfect combo for us.

That's not to say he wont be able to lead the line for Alloa, our entire team were fairly shite the first half of that season so that probably didn't help matters.