The Alloa Athletic Thread

We’ve just signed Sam Roscoe, any insight into him?

Potential to be a real quality player, great deal for you getting him tied up for two years. He came in and looked really assured on and off the ball. Real calm presence. Ended up not being able to get back into the starting eleven but think it was just really unlucky the way his injury came and us hitting form.

Andy Graham talked him through a lot of games, like he does with most partners, and Sam would’ve learnt a lot but think he’s more than capable of being one of the better defenders in the league now with some minutes. Better than Jamie McCart when we had him on loan IMO and he had a pretty decent season with Inverness.

33 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

32 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Going to be brutally critical here.

Roscoe's nowhere near as good as McCart was for instance. Everyone here says potential because he's had good performances but he will make mistakes. For all he's a big lad he's a beanpole and I reckon he's suspect for at least acceleration  if not pace. We often played a deep line so it masked our inadequacies there most of the time.

That's why I think Aberdeen left him with us last year when they were short defensively and why they've let him go to Ayr.

Hope he does well but not sure he's going to live up to be Michael Rose's replacement.

Roscoe's nowhere near as good as McCart was for instance. Everyone here says potential because he's had good performances but he will make mistakes. For all he's a big lad he's a beanpole and I reckon he's suspect for at least acceleration  if not pace. We often played a deep line so it masked our inadequacies there most of the time.
That's why I think Aberdeen left him with us last year when they were short defensively and why they've let him go to Ayr.
Hope he does well but not sure he's going to live up to be Michael Rose's replacement.

Behave

Appreciate the honesty.

McCall made the point about a month ago of saying he was close to signing someone that might not be fully ready for the first team for around a year and he still wants to bring in another defender so maybe Roscoe will be a back up this year.

When we first signed Rose he was nowhere near ready for the first team and spent a year as 4th choice although he benefited from us going down and having a year in League One.

The one thing that McCall has done better than any Ayr manager is take younger players, help them improve, give them a platform to perform and get them big moves for their career. Shankland and Rose are the prime examples but there’s no reason why Roscoe can’t do the exact same.

I think Roscoe is a decent signing for Ayr. Agree that he isn't McCart, but McCart is a bit further along with his development. He had come through the ranks with Celtic and played half a season in the Premier League on loan with ICT and then half a season on loan with us, before a full season alongside the excellent Coll Donaldson. Roscoe hadn't played first team football at all until last season. In general he showed up very well and clearly progressed as he gained experience. With the right partner I'm sure he can do well for Ayr. Not beyond him to step back up a level if he continues to improve. 

giphy.jpg

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Appreciate the honesty.

McCall made the point about a month ago of saying he was close to signing someone that might not be fully ready for the first team for around a year and he still wants to bring in another defender so maybe Roscoe will be a back up this year.

When we first signed Rose he was nowhere near ready for the first team and spent a year as 4th choice although he benefited from us going down and having a year in League One.

The one thing that McCall has done better than any Ayr manager is take younger players, help them improve, give them a platform to perform and get them big moves for their career. Shankland and Rose are the prime examples but there’s no reason why Roscoe can’t do the exact same.

Yeah I could see that being him. Certainly working with one team full time would probably help him rather than splitting time with Aberdeen then having one training session a week and a game with us. 

He’s saying things we all know already but it’s still brilliant and refreshing to see Sam Roscoe talk about how good an influence and mentor Andy Graham was (final question of the interview). It’s nice when former players don’t have any bad things to say about their time - big or small - and can only bode well for recruitment.

He’s saying things we all know already but it’s still brilliant and refreshing to see Sam Roscoe talk about how good an influence and mentor Andy Graham was (final question of the interview). It’s nice when former players don’t have any bad things to say about their time - big or small - and can only bode well for recruitment.

I believe McCall said in his interview that one of his big regrets was letting Graham go.