The Alloa Athletic Thread

4 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

Stats, mini skirts etc.
We scored exactly twice as many goals away (26) than at home (13, obvz). We had fewer defeats from away games too.

Indeed, different ways of looking at it. Another being we picked up points in more away games than at home. But yeah, stats and mini skirts. 

I think the most obvious thing is that Goodwin said it was done to make the Recs "a fortress". By managing 1 more point at home than away it clearly wasn't a fortress. It took us months to get used to it and as Oweny said it cost us against limited sides, almost fatally in the case of losing twice at home to a dreadful Falkirk team. Shrinking the park while sticking with attacking football and use of width was confused thinking. It is shit to watch as well. Really hope they change it. 

6 hours ago, Oweny said:

Let's hope they return the pitch to its normal size. I am of the view that the narrow pitch cost us many points last season. Teams like falkirk and dunfermline came and stunk the place out and we struggled to break them down. Whereas on a larger pitch there would have been no hiding place for them.

Eh, in both games at Alloa you were the defensive side!? 

3 hours ago, Oweny said:

Your kiddin? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46000718

We had almost four times as many shots, as well as a good bit more possession, do you genuinely think you were the attacking team? Or perhaps it was in this game. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47425111

Where we only had double the amount of shots and again, more possession. 

Alloa fans are genuinely mental with how they perceive football games. 

We had almost four times as many shots, as well as a good bit more possession, do you genuinely think you were the attacking team? Or perhaps it was in this game. 

This over-sensitive neediness is catching.

33 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I think the worst 2 teams i seen this season were Falkirk and then Dunfermline . Does anyone else agree? 

Dunfermline dodged a bullet missing the play offs 

Even if they were, we had a hell of a hard time getting anything from them.

18 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Possession means heehaw TBH, I've seen teams with mega possession and hardly get the ball out of their own half.

What is the better team - 75% possession , 20 shots on goal and 1 goal, or 25% possession, 2 shots on goal and 1 goal?

31 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

If the pars didn't have that 5 game winning run under Crawford when he first took over they would have been in the bottom two Falkirk just never got going all season

And if we didn't have our 4 game purple patch after the New Year, we would be wearing knotted hankies on our head, and making sand castles

34 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I think the worst 2 teams i seen this season were Falkirk and then Dunfermline . Does anyone else agree? 

Probably not the second worst I saw all season in terms of ability but certainly the most boring. They're like the Championship's Hearts. They take all excitement out of a game of football.

19 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Without getting into those two games in particular, I don't think the general point about the small park not suiting us is particularly controversial or hard to understand. But anyway. It came from Jack Ross doing it when he had a team who were struggling badly and had very little creative threat. Small park, stuffy style and try and grab goals from set pieces. A pragmatic way to set up if you have a limited side playing much better teams.

Last season's Alloa were not in that situation. We had (relatively speaking) creativity and pace in the squad and aimed to keep the ball on the deck. Shrinking the park might have helped us concede less, but it also made it much harder for us to play the style that had taken us up and that we stuck with in the Championship. In general we played more passing football than a number of sides in the league last season. Fair minded opposition managers and fans recognised that. Indeed, I recall a County fan in January saying that he enjoyed watching Alloa's style in Dingwall that day more than the football that County were producing. As many have acknowledged, it was far from a vintage season for the majority of the full-time teams in the league, who were poorly coached and underachieved given the resources at their disposal. Our small park helped some of those sides shitfest their way way to points at the Recs when the normal pitch would have suited us better. Impossible to put a number of points on it and I certainly don't think you're looking at a hugely significant difference, but definitely don't think we would have still been shitting ourselves in injury time at Ayr on the last day had we stuck with the bigger pitch. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, laughing gravie said:

What is the better team - 75% possession , 20 shots on goal and 1 goal, or 25% possession, 2 shots on goal and 1 goal?

By the stats, the 1st team, of course both teams get the same. 

Thankfully Dunfermline won both games though. 

40 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Without getting into those two games in particular, I don't think the general point about the small park not suiting us is particularly controversial or hard to understand.  

My point wasn't about that, it was specifically about Alloa apparently being the more attacking team in the games at Recs Park this season. 

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

Nice of you to admit you were talking pish, cheers x