The Alloa Athletic Thread

Some good points on both sides of the Buchs argument, and I must admit I can see the different points of view. If he can get us eight plus goals (excluding any penalties) in the league, then it will be a success IMO. As Waspie rightly points out, we need to surround Liam with the right players and create the chances in the box for him.

Either way it will be great to see him in an Alloa strip again, he's a legend for that one season with us - have we ever had another striker with the ability and balls to score two late winners at Ibrox? Another leader added to the squad too, and that can't be a bad thing.

I wonder what Jim's plans are for central defence. Despite the success (every time he's been forced into it) of Taggs in the middle and Robbo at right back, pretty sure he'll be looking at bringing another centre back in.

If we can get the right quality as a permanent signing, that would seem to be the best option. Not sure that can be done. Might we see Sam back at the Indodrill?

1 hour ago, printer said:

Some good points on both sides of the Buchs argument, and I must admit I can see the different points of view. If he can get us eight plus goals (excluding any penalties) in the league, then it will be a success IMO. As Waspie rightly points out, we need to surround Liam with the right players and create the chances in the box for him.

Either way it will be great to see him in an Alloa strip again, he's a legend for that one season with us - have we ever had another striker with the ability and balls to score two late winners at Ibrox? Another leader added to the squad too, and that can't be a bad thing.

Agreed,Buchs got plenty for Livingston in league 1 when they won it,got offered a one year deal which Raith trumped with a two year deal on reported good money.For an ageing pro at the back end of his full time career it was a no brainer.Unfortunately Raith have struggled big time in the last couple of seasons with no-one there really pulling up any trees according to Raith fans.I think he will do great for us and who else is out there that we can realistically get on our budget that will be better. Jim will obviously be targetting the loan market for a number of players as he has previously so we will have to wait for them.

6 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

Agreed,Buchs got plenty for Livingston in league 1 when they won it,got offered a one year deal which Raith trumped with a two year deal on reported good money.For an ageing pro at the back end of his full time career it was a no brainer.Unfortunately Raith have struggled big time in the last couple of seasons with no-one there really pulling up any trees according to Raith fans.I think he will do great for us and who else is out there that we can realistically get on our budget that will be better. Jim will obviously be targetting the loan market for a number of players as he has previously so we will have to wait for them.

I would have Davidson from raith too , raith fans are not happy with him in general but would he go P/T ?

I would have Davidson from raith too , raith fans are not happy with him in general but would he go P/T ?

Honestly, he's shite. We've been linked too but really hope it's just baws. Buchanan to me when I seen him last season looked very average in a team that scored a lot of goals too.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Honestly, he's shite. We've been linked too but really hope it's just baws. Buchanan to me when I seen him last season looked very average in a team that scored a lot of goals too.

You could be right  but Raith seem to be good at getting the worst of players sometimes .

You could be right  but Raith seem to be good at getting the worst of players sometimes .

His legs just look gone, better strikers would really fancy their chances. Better off with another young loan similar to Roscoe I'd say.

The term legs are gone is more I think a mental issue, nowadays with sports training nutrition ect , you can play on at a late age 
to me it is the mind that is the barrier . Liam is a fit guy ,  age is just a number .

Meant Davidson legs gone not Buchanan. Raith fans would be pleased to see back of Davidson

Let's hope they return the pitch to its normal size. I am of the view that the narrow pitch cost us many points last season. Teams like falkirk and dunfermline came and stunk the place out and we struggled to break them down. Whereas on a larger pitch there would have been no hiding place for them.

We matched many teams last year in terms of the football and passed the ball well. We shouldn't dear returning to the bigger pitch. Our away from is evidence to this point. 

I  think we should too, does anyone have the points tally home and away as a comparison ? that said  I thought we played better regardless of result away last season .

We took 20 points from our home games, with a -8 GD. Away from home we took 19 points, however, slightly better GD of -6.

I hope they push it out again slightly but goes to show that maybe it shouldn’t be blown too much out of proportion.

We took 20 points from our home games, with a -8 GD. Away from home we took 19 points, however, slightly better GD of -6.

I hope they push it out again slightly but goes to show that maybe it shouldn’t be blown too much out of proportion.
Stats, mini skirts etc.
We scored exactly twice as many goals away (26) than at home (13, obvz). We had fewer defeats from away games too.

Stats, mini skirts etc.

We scored exactly twice as many goals away (26) than at home (13, obvz). We had fewer defeats from away games too.

The idea was to make us harder to score against though. Not a stat man so I have no idea the answer, but that surely one of the most important numbers here?

Anyways, I’m not an advocate for a narrow park. Just providing an answer to the question! I’m all for it going back out. Maybe not the full distance, as we had one of the largest parks before, but somewhat to bring any wingers we sign into the game but keep the space minimal at the backs