The Alloa Athletic Thread

they wanted to pay him smarties Jim says no way its a marathon . but Dundee have Cream Egg on their face . its all Rose's in the garden . shhhhhh is a wispa . opens up the Door for Kilmarnock

It's better to let someone think you are an Idiot than to open your mouth and prove it.

I guess you prove that even god makes mistakes sometimes.

Jim is absolutely right to hold back if he has reservations. Too many young managers have been in a rush and jumped at the first f/t gig even if it doesn't suit them, and quickly seen their reputation nose dive when it hasn't worked out. This looks like another example of the Goodwin calm head, something that is real strength for him. 

Have to say though, I'm not convinced it's great news for us. His attention cannot be on Alloa at the moment and the uncertainty hardly strengthens our hand in terms of attracting players. I'd rather things had worked out for him and he'd made the move. Suspect it will happen soon enough anyway. 

Have to say though, I'm not convinced it's great news for us. His attention cannot be on Alloa at the moment and the uncertainty hardly strengthens our hand in terms of attracting players. I'd rather things had worked out for him and he'd made the move. Suspect it will happen soon enough anyway. 

Tend to agree Just hope his head isn't turned as Hartley was never the same after that time he was interviewed for Inverness of all fuckin teams

I think will Jim will very quickly get over the disappointment of not getting the job and focus on Alloa again. As it stands, there is no other jobs out there for him. Heard the Saints boss just bought a house in Scotland which is a good thing.

Jim always said he would move on but loved it at Alloa and owed Mulraney a lot so was in no rush to leave. I’m sure it’ll be business as usual for him, I think it was business as usual to be honest when he was in the interview processing. Still tying up the core of the squad on new deals etc.

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Jim is absolutely right to hold back if he has reservations. Too many young managers have been in a rush and jumped at the first f/t gig even if it doesn't suit them, and quickly seen their reputation nose dive when it hasn't worked out. This looks like another example of the Goodwin calm head, something that is real strength for him. 

Yep, I think there was an inevitability in the chairmans comments about the manager being ready to move onwards and upwards. He would have set the wheels in motion with a contingency plan to take the club forward. Our existing model and structure means a change in manager wont completely overhaul things and cause major disruption, but ideally you dont want to head into the season with a manager who is looking to jump at the first decent job that comes up. The turnover of managers last season alone in Scotland suggests something suitable will arise sooner rather than later.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

On 29/05/2019 at 21:44, whereismillar said:

yer arse ..behave . you are not the only QOTSS to suggest we get lumped with him , pattern emerging here ….desperate .

I'd be interested to see any post from a QoS fan that said Alloa should appoint Naysmith if Goodwin's move comes about,  apart from Northfield's. 

Anyway, it looks like Goodwin may be staying,  and if true,  is excellent news for Alloa Athletic. 

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'd be interested to see any post from a QoS fan that said Alloa should appoint Naysmith if Goodwin's move comes about,  apart from Northfield's. 

Anyway, it looks like Goodwin may be staying,  and if true,  is excellent news for Alloa Athletic. 

3 of you at least ..

3 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Tend to agree Just hope his head isn't turned as Hartley was never the same after that time he was interviewed for Inverness of all fuckin teams

was Hartley not rejected by them ? difference being jim turned it down at Dundee. I am sure jim will still be 110%  committed .

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

3 of you at least ..

Personally,  I said his name could possibly be added to the list of those applying,  not that he should get the job or would be a good choice. .  Anyway it seems that a new appointment will not be necessary. 

I’m ill and very tired just now, which is my excuse for tearing up very (very) slightly at the news that James Goodwin was summoned to Dens, took a wee look about, and said, “mmm...not quite Alloa, is it?”

That’s exactly what happened, BTW.

On 24/05/2019 at 16:33, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Pretty sure that was the following season which was a bit of a disaster. The 7 2 win came early on in the campaign and I don't think we won away from home again.

I was there . 

It was Willie Gardner who took us to a 6th place finish as Alex Totten had left for Falkirk in November 1982. Gardner took over and seen out what was a terrific season . 

The following year was a struggle after some sparkling pre season performances .Frankie Cole was added from Sauchie and Drew Paterson had made his comeback after a career threatening fractured skull injury . The team were missing the injured Brian Purdie who had broken his leg at the tail end of the previous campaign and missed his leadership skills. We were relegated in 1983-84 but Willie Gardner as left to go to Aberdeen as Alex Ferguson's assistant in the January of 1984.  He was replaced by Jimmy Thompson who was a terrific Alloa manager and took us back up the following season. 

A great alloa team and great period . Some terrific players. 

Edited by Oweny

The second job jim has knocked back this summer so far btw.  The other team is also in the championship and they moved quickly to appoint a former manager 

He was never offered the job.