The Alloa Athletic Thread

That’s a hell of a blow. I remember listening to Goodwin on OTB just after he was appointed and would never have thought he would’ve taken Alloa so far.

It’s a big jump to Dundee what with the expectations of what I would imagine would be a quick return to the Premiership.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s a hell of a blow. I remember listening to Goodwin on OTB just after he was appointed and would never have thought he would’ve taken Alloa so far.

It’s a big jump to Dundee what with the expectations of what I would imagine would be a quick return to the Premiership.

McCall was a shoe in for that job as well ….

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The team he inherited had just beaten two Premier League clubs and held the unbeaten Celtic Rodgers team 0-0 at Parkhead for 83 minutes. It was a pretty good situation to take over. 

9 minutes ago, Waspie said:

The team he inherited had just beaten two Premier League clubs and held the unbeaten Celtic Rodgers team 0-0 at Parkhead for 83 minutes. It was a pretty good situation to take over. 

And won the first 10 matches of the season with a squad that had been assembled over the summer. Ross and Hartley were fantastic team builders. 

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

we have Neil parry , Andy G , kevin Cawley ,Flanny, Taggs and stevie Hetherington signed so far not a bad base to start

I know Robertson has re-signed and i think Trouten has also.

Perhaps

However he’s since managed to get out of League 1 with 2 full time teams in it and stay in the Championship whilst being the only part time team. I don’t think many saw him doing that.

If he is going then, as said before, we need to move on and get a new manager ASAP. He goes with my best wishes and I hope he achieves great success as a full time manager. However it is amazing how quickly the new season comes around and we want to start the championship season better than the last one.

Jim’s time has been phenomenal. What he’s achieved can’t be underestimated but he’s come a long way. He took over a very good time and his start certainly wasn’t plain sailing. Was looking bleak for a bit but his ability to galvanise his team, stay calm and learn from it were second to none.

As mentioned before his attitude and ways of motivating this core of players we have have been brilliant. He has never faced the challenge that awaits him at Dundee of building a whole new nucleus of team and exceeding expectations but I’d back him to do really well and push United all the way for promotion.

Unlike others, Jim was up front and honest with the supporters. When it wasn’t working, he wouldn’t shy away with clichés in the media and when it was going good he was always grounded. Very humble and shows a lot of gratitude to Mulraney and the club. That shows in the fact that he didn’t jump at the first time of asking and left probably at the best time. His stock is high, we have plenty of time (if we get recruitment right) to build upon what he’s done and likewise he does with his new project. Wish him all the best.

As for us ... we have that core of a squad that every manager dreams of. Proper professionals who give you absolutely everything on the park. I hope some of the targets identified by Jim are still being pursued and spoken to despite the uncertainty of a manger. I have no doubt as well that Mulraney will have had phone calls with folk enquiring about a potential role as well. Like mentioned before, I don’t think we can gamble with appointing the same way we did with Jim with someone like Andy Graham. Championship is cutthroat and we need a very well established coach, with plenty experience, or someone who does have that edge of managerial experience. Who knows what kind of shortlist we’ve got going on, betting odds in the next few days may allude to some new names not mentioned too, but for me Stewart Petrie number one and Callum Davidson a close second from the ones that I’ve seen thrown in here.

15 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Hope so, not seen anything official though

Jim was running about through the week seeing the players who were unable to attend at the club when the first players re-signed.Given that he probably already knew he was leaving he cant be criticised for not doing his best for us up to the end.Wish him all the best.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Perhaps

However he’s since managed to get out of League 1 with 2 full time teams in it and stay in the Championship whilst being the only part time team. I don’t think many saw him doing that.

With the squad and excellent part-time budget he inherited promotion was always the aim and it was a very realistic one. He made a mess of it at the first attempt and lost out to a shite Brechin side, but he learned from that and made it up in harder circumstances the year after, albeit he still had a very good set of players at his disposal. 

He has done an excellent job overall and deserves his move. I don't necessarily see it as a "huge blow" though as it was inevitable. He gave great service and stuck around for a decent length of time and leaves a good legacy behind him. It's also further vindication of the chairman's policy with giving young managers a shot. If nobody wants our manager it means it isn't working. 

A big plus for us is the current standing of the club.Three managers in Goodwin,Ross and Hartley have all went on to bigger things in the last decade and the chairman seems to back his managers completely.I would think we will have no shortage of people wanting the job.

I don't see this as a disaster for Alloa.  A blow yes, but not a disaster.  The key person seems to be the chairman who always ensures they have a healthy budget and a good manager, it can't be coincidence that Alloa haven't had a bad season for quite a long time now: managers and squads change, but the one constant is the chairman / board.  Though I'm sure you all miss George Grieve.  Whatever happened to him?  Let's have him as a Honorary Guest for our Betfred Cup tie.  The subs can all blast balls at him at half time for charity.

2 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

IMO I think he will go into the First team at Hearts next season

1 hour ago, weetoonlad said:

Gone without trace

"Press down the clutch, put it into gear, then slowly ease off the clutch again. Bob's your uncle -- you're driving!" So why not do the same as Mr Greive and piss off without a trace