The Alloa Athletic Thread

I honestly think Young would be a poor appointment.  What has he actually achieved as gaffer? Done a good job at Albion Rovers, I'll give him that, but Paul Martin was achieving similar results before him. Last season his East Fife team really should have cantered into the play-offs given their early season form but he inspired them to 1 win in their final 17 games. Not to mention his ridiculously unprofessional sending off at Airdrie for trying to trip up a player taking a throw-in, I don't think the guy is a Championship manager. If you're looking to pay compensation for any manager in League 1 it should be Stewart Petrie.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I honestly think Young would be a poor appointment.  What has he actually achieved as gaffer? Done a good job at Albion Rovers, I'll give him that, but Paul Martin was achieving similar results before him. Last season his East Fife team really should have cantered into the play-offs given their early season form but he inspired them to 1 win in their final 17 games. Not to mention his ridiculously unprofessional sending off at Airdrie for trying to trip up a player taking a throw-in, I don't think the guy is a Championship manager. If you're looking to pay compensation for any manager in League 1 it should be Stewart Petrie.

I would not disagree with your assessment of DY. Petrie is my choice very impressed when watching Montrose during the season. I don't think compensation would be a big issue.

5 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would not disagree with your assessment of DY. Petrie is my choice very impressed when watching Montrose during the season. I don't think compensation would be a big issue.

I think Petrie is signed up there for the next 2 or 3 years at least - Montrose have been very shrewd with the contracts they've got tied down.

Darren Young is a no from me, as others have pointed out i don't think he has shown enough to convince me that he has the consistency to manage at a higher level than he is currently at, would he be considered if he had not previously played for Alloa, debatable. 

As for who it will be, i would be surprised if MM did not consider Hartley but others seem to have ruled that out, i wonder if John Kennedy would fancy it, i noticed the papers suggesting that Lennon if/when he accepts the Celtic job is likely to renew his acquaintances with Garry Parker and the like, could be worth a wee enquiry.    

Edited by Craigy

Darren Young is a no from me, as others have pointed out i don't think he has shown enough to convince me that he has the consistency to manage at a higher level than he is currently at, would he be considered if he had not previously played for Alloa, debatable. 
As for who it will be, i would be surprised if MM did not consider Hartley but others seem to have ruled that out, i wonder if John Kennedy would fancy it, i noticed the papers suggesting that Lennon if/when he accepts the Celtic job is likely to renew his acquaintances with Garry Parker and the like, could be worth a wee enquiry.    

Absolutely no chance of Kennedy, he has a pretty plum gig at Celtic.

9 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

My choice would be Stephen Craigan at Motherwell

Stephen Craigan left Motherwell almost 6 months ago...

16 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
23 hours ago, whereismillar said:
Always said Dumbarton were the benchmark , how many seasons were you in the Champs ? if we match you guys the whole furore will calm down 

We had six seasons.

good going that , alongside  your 6 in a row we have had 3  with 2 consecutive , with another 2 consecutive to include next season since you left , we have got a bit to go to match that ..

17 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Both clubs have agreed compensation according to the evening times, hopefully MM has a plan to get someone in quick, to avoid a repeat of danny lennons summer business.

We probably have a good core signed already we lost a lot of players when DL took over, MM will have known for months this would happen .

We probably have a good core signed already we lost a lot of players when DL took over, MM will have known for months this would happen .

Could be doing with having a few more signed but maybe waiting to see whats happening with the manager, yes of course, i think we all knew.

6 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Could be doing with having a few more signed but maybe waiting to see whats happening with the manager, yes of course, i think we all knew.

we have Neil parry , Andy G , kevin Cawley ,Flanny, Taggs and stevie Hetherington signed so far not a bad base to start

Hopefully this is sorted tomorow and we can crack on with getting a new manager in ASAP. Already a lot of good players signed up elsewhere and it would be preferable to add some decent permanent signings before the inevitable loans start to come in. 

Jim has done a great job for us and deserves his crack at full time football. His ability to organise, motivate and get the best from his players has been a feature of his management and will give him a good chance of succeeding at Dundee. Adding the best possible loans to the established team he inherited proved to be a masterstroke. I do feel though that there can certainly be life after JG for us. A huge success overall, but a number of things too that could still be done better. With the nucleus of superb pros we have and the right appointment, the potential is there to build on what was achieved last season. 

I Agree , I wish Jim all the best, we can do better than we did this season IMO as you say with the right appointment and with possibly an improved budget ,

get some good signings in with good loans as well .  Can we get another Zanatta ,  Roscoe , type of player ?  I hope jim left us with some good contacts .

Good luck to Jim. Feels like a long journey since that ridiculous sending-off at Stenny. The boy came good.

Primary focus must be on finding a replacement with similarly striking facial hair. The young Wasps need to have something to aspire to.