The Alloa Athletic Thread

That season was decided early when the boys that played under Paul and Barry decided to sign elsewhere. 

Danny responded by going on holiday for 3 weeks.

Wasn't Danny giving us updates from the beach?

He most certainly was.

http://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=2&ItemID=1267&mid=2

Re Robert Thomson, if he wants to go part-time I'd be inclined to go for him. I know he has had a poorish time at Morton, but he would be a decent target and he is skilful on the deck. Not sure there are many better part-time options out there. Of course I don't know what his attitude is like and that's crucial; needs to fit into the group we have.

Still annoyed we've lost Kirky. [emoji852]
He wanted to play every week he will get that at Forfar

8 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Wasn't Danny giving us updates from the beach?

He most certainly was.

http://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=2&ItemID=1267&mid=2

"Should we succeed in these signings, I believe we will have a very entertaining and capable squad of footballers to allow Alloa to compete very well in the 2nd tier in Scottish football. I believe we could surprise a number of people with our performances and results in the season ahead."

I wonder who we missed out on because that team never surprised anyone.

The player I hated the most from that time was Connor McManus. Don't think I've seen a lazier player on the park than him. Every week I'd see him lazily jog around never breaking a sweat. At that time I was fit and  quick and honestly questioned why I wasn't a Celtic youth player.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

"Should we succeed in these signings, I believe we will have a very entertaining and capable squad of footballers to allow Alloa to compete very well in the 2nd tier in Scottish football. I believe we could surprise a number of people with our performances and results in the season ahead."

The player I hated the most from that time was Connor McManus. Don't think I've seen a lazier player on the park than him. Every week I'd see him lazily jog around never breaking a sweat. At that time I was fit and  quick and honestly questioned why I wasn't a Celtic youth player.

It just all went so wrong it was crazy, we were destroying teams in pre-season as well, did we not hammer Cove 7-0?

Big Jack came in though, so that was a positive.

2 minutes ago, Recsnotindodrill said:

It just all went so wrong it was crazy, we were destroying teams in pre-season as well, did we not hammer Cove 7-0?

Was that the game big Geoff scored 4? I was hopeful after preseason, not going to lie. But didn't take long to realise we had changed from a possession to a hoofball team with a bunch of jobbers on their way down through the leagues.

Wonder what'll happen when this squad gets overhauled. Barring Stevie and Taggs we're an old team.

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Was that the game big Geoff scored 4? I was hopeful after preseason, not going to lie. But didn't take long to realise we had changed from a possession to a hoofball team with a bunch of jobbers on their way down through the leagues.

Wonder what'll happen when this squad gets overhauled. Barring Stevie and Taggs we're an old team.

I was too, but then had a reality check when I realised Eddie Fearns had scored and been MOM in like 3 of the pre-season games, so the levels we were playing against were maybe not great!

Always hard at this level to successfully transition a new squad, you need to get lucky, or like we did bring in a manager (Hartley) with good contacts and barring that season we have seen nothing but relative success since.

Edited by Recsnotindodrill

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Kirky should be playing every week for us in the Championship. That's kinda my point.

Agree with this. After the initial high of staying up I was thinking of ways to try and kick on and build on the success of the season. Three things that jumped out were getting Kirky involved again at the heart of the team, adding a couple more top part-time players to boost the established nucleus and reduce slightly the dependence on getting the loans bang on, and making the park bigger. Kirky is a real loss. 

I'm sure we were looking at a striker who had played in Seire B.

Looking at Trouts league goal scoring stats last season, he scored 10 league goals, 5 of which were penalties. For his non-penalty goals, he scored once every 506 minutes (if the BBC website is accurate), or once every five and a half games. Dario scored every 478 minutes in the league.

I've had to calculate similar stats for Jordan myself. They come out at 212mins per goal. Slightly better than Zak Rudden and Pavol Safranko.

It should of course be noted that there are few things more wonderful in football than watching Trouts take a penalty. [emoji7]

Just to add, that while I think Jim made mistakes in his team selections quite a lot last year, he did of course deliver the prize for the second year running. So in overall terms he did brilliantly. No question about that.

Yeah I agree with that, but at times the end justified the means. I thought he was too loyal to Trouten for a long time, but he got a tune out of him as the season wore on and he did us a turn. There were a few eyebrows raised when he chucked young Aitchison in after virtually no gametime, but again that turned out to be effective.

The key change for me was switching Dario to the left from centre following the Inverness midweek game. That was a real key turning point in picking up those 4 wins which gave us safety.

I agree that Kirky is a big loss. He might not have been a key player, but hes great on the ball and had the potential to be a real leader on the park a la Flannigan. Still popped up with some huge contributions. Was deployed in a number of positions, he was forced to adapt to a structure which maybe wasnt the most snug fit to get the best out of him. All of this after virtually no game time in the first half of the season due to injury. A big game player- the winner against Falkirk showed terrific composure in particular.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

8 hours ago, printer said:

That 6th place finish was entirely down to Totten. Had us 3rd at one point, playing brilliant attacking football with Drew Paterson (emoji7.png) and Frankie Cole on the wings. Did we not pump Clydebank 7-2 away?

Pretty sure that was the following season which was a bit of a disaster. The 7 2 win came early on in the campaign and I don't think we won away from home again.

Kirky might be a big loss, I say might because maybe he would still struggle with the formation next season but that is a big if, we don't know if jim will be here either , 

what I will say is make the most of these  good times , as said before the squad is getting older and we might not punch above our weight in future , I hope the board won't let that happen though . 

5 hours ago, Recsnotindodrill said:

9 0 against Huntly away, 6 0 at half time. That was a great weekend.

46 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Pretty sure that was the following season which was a bit of a disaster. The 7 2 win came early on in the campaign and I don't think we won away from home again.

It was first away game of the season and  we never won another game away form home that season.