The Alloa Athletic Thread

Aside from the obvious candidate Andy Graham, I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a left-field appointment like Callum Davidson (first team coach at Dunfermline "until the end of the season" when he joined them in February) or Stevie Farrell from Stranraer perhaps.

So many underwhelming, uninspiring names getting thrown in here... don’t do it just yet Goody! [emoji31]

Was Goodwin an inspiring name when appointed?

I think Graham probably would make a decent manager but imo he’s too important on the pitch for the team.

Was Goodwin an inspiring name when appointed?

I think Graham probably would make a decent manager but imo he’s too important on the pitch for the team.

He was new, fresh and when he was appointed I was already in awe of the man. All it took was him taking out a referee in a friendly and I fell head over heels.

The names as in Naysmith, McCulloch, Hartley, Farrell all just seem so meh. I’m all for going for the complete novice and giving him a shot.

However, I get where you’re coming from. Going for an appointment a long those lines isn’t going to be totally inspiring on the face of it but the names above, jeez, in the bin.

ETA - Couldn’t agree more with the Andy G comment.

He was new, fresh and when he was appointed I was already in awe of the man. All it took was him taking out a referee in a friendly and I fell head over heels.

The names as in Naysmith, McCulloch, Hartley, Farrell all just seem so meh. I’m all for going for the complete novice and giving him a shot.

However, I get where you’re coming from. Going for an appointment a long those lines isn’t going to be totally inspiring on the face of it but the names above, jeez, in the bin.

ETA - Couldn’t agree more with the Andy G comment.

Aye none of the 4 names mentioned would be inspired I guess but of that group Farrell is the obvious choice for me. Considering the mess Stranraer went through last season he’s done pretty well to keep them in that division.

Unless you’re willing to give someone their start in management any names mentioned are likely to be pretty uninspiring. Although Petrie at Montrose is due a move up the leagues.

I like the idea of Farrell, as mentioned above he has done a very steady job with a hugely reduced budget and he comes across well. Petrie too but I suspect his next move would be to a full-time club. 

The other names are pretty uninspiring. I think Scottish football managers in general are pretty poor and you only have to look around our competition this season to see that. Someone who has shown promise at a lower level or taking a chance on an untested figure who has the right credentials is the best way IMO. The chairman has a good track record with this anyway and I am sure he has a few ideas already given there has been speculation about JG for a good while. 

Paddy Connelly has worked under 5 managers now, and doesnt have the desire to move to a full time setup. The model is that whatever manager comes in works with the existing backroom staff. Other than bringing in an extra guy (which Danny Lennon implemented) no manager has come in and wished to turn over that existing structure.

I don't think that we should be looking to jump on the 'usual suspect' bandwagon.

Shouts for Archibald, Naysmith, McCulloch etc. are ones that, I hope, don't materialise.

If you look at our last few appointments, they've generally been pretty successful - when choosing someone who is new and has something about them that hasn't been moulded by, possibly, accepted methods elsewhere.

Newbies Hartley, Ross and Goodwin were/are all relative successes.
The 'experienced' Lennon and Smith, not so much.

Personally, I would like it to be Andy Graham too.

The man is a born leader, obviously well respected by the players and, probably, any manager that has had the pleasure of picking him in their team.
He knows everyone who's already here, which wouldn't affect too many aims for this season or cause too much disruption.

The guy has also plied his trade around exactly the bazaars that we would be shopping in, and I'm sure he has a fair idea of who he thinks could do us a turn.

The vast majority of us fans, I think, would be quite happy if he was given the gig.

Player/manager? Absolutely for me.
We've done it before, McCann, Garner, Sullivan and Goodwin spring to mind.
And who wouldn't have loved to have seen Hartley do the same?

The constant that is Paddy Connolly is also there. And if he doesn't know the club's philosophy regarding management, then no one will.

If Andy Graham doesn't want to do it, then I hope that we don't go for a lazy appointment.

I would like to see someone who will do everything in their power to improve on what is already here.

Most people know exactly where the aforementioned Hartley, Ross and Goodwin started their management careers.
There's a reason for that - success.

Apart from Alloa fans, football hardies and their own families, who could name Lennon and/or Smith having us as a stop on their own journeys?

Not for me someone for whom this is just another line on their CV.

Again, these could be all moot points if Goodwin stays.

Interesting few days/weeks ahead.

The player/manager role was far too much for Goodwin’s by his own admission. As mentioned before, Goody was able to make mistakes and go relatively unpunished in the long-term in league one and most of those mistakes came from him having his priorities split. He’s said countless times that he needed to hang up his boots. Championship isn’t a league where we will have that freedom to make countless mistakes. I’m all for Andy managing us one day but it’s too early. He scooped every single player of the year award, made team of the year for the league and led by example with defending & goals. We can’t lose that on the park just yet. He’s far too important and he’s said himself he isn’t quite ready to jump in the dug-out. He’s been told by Goody to make his playing days last as long as he can and he’s all for that, I don’t think he has any desire this summer to hang up his boots.