The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What!?

Are you trying to say you weren't blown away with his scintillating brand of football in last year's playoff final?

Still think Alloa were knackered and carrying a few injuries after hard games v Raith x 3 and Ayr in the previous few weeks. Had Dumbarton gone for us I'm not sure we had all that much left. Trying to sit on a lead for near enough 180 minutes was a disaster of an idea but one that certainly worked out well for us. When you add in discarding the likes of Graham, Taggart and Kirky, I wouldn't want Aitken anywhere near the Recs. 

I'd be happy with giving Andy Graham a shot at it. A leader, good communicator, well respected and would bring continuity. Ideally it would come a year or two down the line but that's not the way these things work. 

Although who knows, maybe JG will be around for a while yet :)

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Who would you guys likely be looking at as a replacement for Goodwin, if he does indeed leave for Dens? Likely to go for another recently retired player?

Personally I would like to see us appoint Stewart Petrie when the inevitable happens and  JG leaves us.

Edited by Redwedge77
spelling

4 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

Am sure thats one that will be in the frame Darren Young at EF hasn't done enough for me in his time there . Dougie Imrie . Darren odea . or could you intise Derek Adams back up the road .

Darren O'Dea has signed for East Kilbride and total tit into the bargain! Dougie Imrie....not sure, seems like a wee ned, but might make a good manager.  Neil McCann....?

Am sure thats one that will be in the frame Darren Young at EF hasn't done enough for me in his time there . Dougie Imrie . Darren odea . or could you intise Derek Adams back up the road .

Derek Adams won’t want a part time job.

O’Dea is apparently signing for East Kilbride.

Darren O'Dea has signed for East Kilbride and total tit into the bargain! Dougie Imrie....not sure, seems like a wee ned, but might make a good manager.  Neil McCann....?
Neil McCann not for me . Don't think the Chairman/ Board will want to change much . It all points towards AG

I think it’s too early for Andy G.

Since the playoff defeat to Brechin a few seasons back, Goodwin has been pretty open that he made mistakes which contributed to us not going up at that time.He has since admitted it came to soon for him but that he learned from his mistakes and the experience left him far more prepared and confident of going up the following season, which we gladly did and in keeping us up last season.

Cutting your managerial teeth in League 2 and 1 is doable but I think throwing AG into the hot seat in a league when again we will be at least joint favourites to go down won’t work out and the last thing any of us want is an acrimonious parting of the way further down the line.

I would have thought that listening to MM when Hartley walked out, he would reappoint him in a heartbeat if he was interested in coming back. Hopefully all this is irrelevant and JG is here for a few more months at least. 

Edited by Craigy

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

that would work in his favour , would jim have been sacked if we were relegated this season ? I think not.

Clearly not, my point being that probably Goodwin’s previous managerial experiences greatly contributed to him being able to keep his nerve and the players nerves in the run in, something you would not get with a rookie manager, just my opinion off course. 

I think it’s too early for Andy G.
Since the playoff defeat to Brechin a few seasons back, Goodwin has been pretty open that he made mistakes which contributed to us not going up at that time.He has since admitted it came to soon for him but that he learned from his mistakes and the experience left him far more prepared and confident of going up the following season, which we gladly did and in keeping us up last season.
Cutting your managerial teeth in League 2 and 1 is doable but I think throwing AG into the hot seat in a league when again we will be at least joint favourites to go down won’t work out and the last thing any of us want is an acrimonious parting of the way further down the line.
I would have thought that listening to MM when Hartley walked out, he would reappoint him in a heartbeat if he was interested in coming back. Hopefully all this is irrelevant and JG is here for a few more months at least. 
IMO PH will not be in the frame for it

What about someone like Lee McCulloch, I think he’s currently coaching the strikers at Dundee Utd and I’m sure with his contacts in the game would he able to utilise his the loan system well and maybe call on a couple of experienced players to enhance the team...