The Alloa Athletic Thread

Kirky is a more effective player at Championship level than Trouts IMO.
Thought he was poorly treated with the number of starts he got last year and now we appear to have paid the price for that. Not good news.

Would agree not a player I would have wanted to lose from the squad. A superb striker of a ball. Two vital goals at end of season as well.

Think Trouten was always going to get nob before him for his ability to take half chances inside the box. Agree he did run out of steam near end of the season.

Always difficult job to keep all the players happy

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

So Adam Brown has resigned … strange one that , jim must see some development in him or he brings an electric blanket with him and  warms the bench well ?

Think he is the first signing of Goodwin's to sign a second contract under him, yet absolutely no reason why. He was just used to fill the subs bench for most of the season.

Think he is the first signing of Goodwin's to sign a second contract under him, yet absolutely no reason why. He was just used to fill the subs bench for most of the season.

Stevie H fulfilled a similar role previously. A player who has really come on under Jim. So much so I thought he might have offers elsewhere. May see unlikely but maybe Jim sees something in Adam that he thinks he can work on.

We need squad players as well as first choices. I believe Adam really enjoys being at Alloa (as most players seem to) and must be happy to be a squad player. Obviously he'll hope he gets more chance next year.

35 minutes ago, printer said:

We need squad players as well as first choices. I believe Adam really enjoys being at Alloa (as most players seem to) and must be happy to be a squad player. Obviously he'll hope he gets more chance next year.

That's what surprises me most, you would think he had had enough of being a spectator but as you write he seems to enjoy it here !

This was all about the cash from what I hear. Forfar offered him more money and now that he's back working as a plumber he decided to take it. Disappointing as he's a proven quality player for us.  

We won’t stand in his way if they want him. Doesn’t quite fit their original statement put out for the games in management etc. Also, saw Robertson and Strachan linked. Maybe for Dundee preferable options but no doubt Goodwin would probably be an easier, cheaper appointment and to be honest, just as good, if not better.

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

We won’t stand in his way if they want him. Doesn’t quite fit their original statement put out for the games in management etc. Also, saw Robertson and Strachan linked. Maybe for Dundee preferable options but no doubt Goodwin would probably be an easier, cheaper appointment and to be honest, just as good, if not better.

Robertson has shown at ICT that he is very effective at rebuilding a team with a very limited budget. Can see why he was attractive to Dundee. Jim has shown his leadership and man management skills with us and has used the loan market superbly. Plenty of questions still about his recruitment though, as alluded to by Tam above. Fact is that our success is very much built on the Jack Ross nucleus, with Jim adding and getting the best out of his loans. I do wonder how he would fare when tasked with a major rebuild like Dundee. He has earned such an opportunity though and I think it is a good time for him to go and have a crack at ft management. 

Robertson has shown at ICT that he is very effective at rebuilding a team with a very limited budget. Can see why he was attractive to Dundee. Jim has shown his leadership and man management skills with us and has used the loan market superbly. Plenty of questions still about his recruitment though, as alluded to by Tam above. Fact is that our success is very much built on the Jack Ross nucleus, with Jim adding and getting the best out of his loans. I do wonder how he would fare when tasked with a major rebuild like Dundee. He has earned such an opportunity though and I think it is a good time for him to go and have a crack at ft management. 

Definitely a weakness or something that he hasn’t proven himself at yet, agreed. If the rumours are true that a figure like Strachan could oversee the footballing side than I would think Goodwin would be a better option for them rather than someone like Robertson.

I don’t want to see him go but if it’s not Dundee, then I think it’ll be St Mirren. Just a matter of time. However, we’ve got a great core of a squad here so it’ll be an attractive managerial position. Not ideal for us to be in the hunt potentially for a manager as well as players to make up a squad.

Quicker everything is sorted, the better!

What’s this news that’s being reported by jack mchugh?

He’s been tweeting away but hasn’t confirmed anything concrete yet but pretty much common knowledge he’s had his interview. Was in BBC an hour or so ago. One of five names who had one I believe.