The Alloa Athletic Thread

It'd take a freak run of results, but it's still possible for Dunfermline to finish bottom. What a bizarre season this has been.

Great day yesterday, but we're nothing like as safe as many posters seem to think. By the end of next Saturday, we could be a point above Partick at the bottom, and they'd have a game in hand. Taking anything at all from Firhill would be a massive step towards safety.

When you look at the fixtures coming up, it's hard to see any of this being decided before the final day. Huge result for Falkirk yesterday.

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It'd take a freak run of results, but it's still possible for Dunfermline to finish bottom. What a bizarre season this has been.

Great day yesterday, but we're nothing like as safe as many posters seem to think. By the end of next Saturday, we could be a point above Partick at the bottom, and they'd have a game in hand. Taking anything at all from Firhill would be a massive step towards safety.

When you look at the fixtures coming up, it's hard to see any of this being decided before the final day. Huge result for Falkirk yesterday.

If you win and Dunfermline beat Queens next Saturday, I think that would mean you couldn't finish 10th with Queens and Partick playing each other on the final day.

Hope you do it. Please don't make us play you on the last day potentially relegating you. The fans would be quite happy to see you win, but I doubt the players would

Edited by I'm Brian

21 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

If you win and Dunfermline beat Queens next Saturday, I think that would mean you couldn't finish 10th with Queens and Partick playing each other on the final day.

D1NiZuZ.gif

People say that the championship is rubbish this season but it could easily end up ~20pts between winning the league and getting relegated which is unbelievably competitive. A perfect/pointless 2 months is the difference between title winners and relegation to League 1.

Wanted to think about the worst case scenario where every team inexplicably picks up as many points as they can against the irrelevant top teams and they don't all lose to each other beneficially for us:

image.png.c5a06206eba3871fb1301a06b92f62ea.png

If this happens even a win against Thistle would still mean we'd need Partick, Falkirk or Queen's to drop even more points due to the goal difference.

Although if we get 41 points we'd be astronomically unlucky to end up 10th.

Can't see this bottom one happening but fingers crossed for  meltdown entertainment:

image.png.8f03d2466e795487f75f75afc60e12cf.png

Partick to get beat off East Fife in the playoff final just cause Darren Young. Morton to have another year of Johansson and have the real worst team in their history and finish below 3 part time teams (again).

22 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

People say that the championship is rubbish this season

Really? I shudder to think what they'd have liked this season to look like.

Nice to see you've been busy on the predictor too - I've been glued to it since Christmas  :lol:

Here's what I'm plumping for:

Championship2019.jpg

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Nice to see you've been busy on the predictor too - I've been glued to it since Christmas  :lol:

Championship2019.jpg

Yeah I'd agree that probably the bottom two would be Queen of the South and Morton but doesn't stop me wanting it being Falkirk and Partick though. :lol:

Rubbish in terms of quality. In terms of excitement and competition I'm sure everyone has to agree that this is the best league in Scotland.

33 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Championship2019.jpg

Naw, one of them two has to go down.  

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah I'd agree that probably the bottom two would be Queen of the South and Morton but doesn't stop me wanting it being Falkirk and Partick though. :lol:

I'd choose Falkirk and Morton. The former are overdue a spell among the diddies, and it's always party time when Morton go down. Can't think why.

Really not looking good for QoS now, though.

Needing top 5 goals Alloa  have scored this season for the PFA. Any suggestions?

For my 5: I actually quite like the corner we scored against Queens. Flannigan free kick vs Dundee United, Cawley vs St Mirren, Zanatta winner vs Dundee United, Kirkpatrick's winner against Falkirk

Needing top 5 goals Alloa  have scored this season for the PFA. Any suggestions?
For my 5: I actually quite like the corner we scored against Queens. Flannigan free kick vs Dundee United, Cawley vs St Mirren, Zanatta winner vs Dundee United, Kirkpatrick's winner against Falkirk

I’d agree with all of those.

I also loved Trouten’s goal against St Mirren, great play down the left and then he passed it home without even breaking stride

Was it Jack Aitchison's first goal for yous last weekend? hows he getting on?

Indeed it was and a good goal at that.

Struggled at the start of the spell as game time was limited with his involvement in Scotland and Celtic youth teams but now that he’s been given a run in the team he’s really impressing. Neat wee touches and a good footballing brain for a young guy. Doesn’t give us the physical or aerial presence that our other loan striker does but it works well with Aitchison and his energy for the first hour before changing it up for a more of a presence.

Don’t think he’s Celtic quality but boys got something!

5 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Indeed it was and a good goal at that.

Struggled at the start of the spell as game time was limited with his involvement in Scotland and Celtic youth teams but now that he’s been given a run in the team he’s really impressing. Neat wee touches and a good footballing brain for a young guy. Doesn’t give us the physical or aerial presence that our other loan striker does but it works well with Aitchison and his energy for the first hour before changing it up for a more of a presence.

Don’t think he’s Celtic quality but boys got something!

Good to hear, strange how he burst on to the scene with a goal under Deilas last game and never to be seen again. He still is only 19 though so plenty of time yet. Hoping he does fill out a bit like Christie did when Rodgers told him to hit the weights and he put on a stone in muscle and looked a totally different player when he did. I know Alloa will be wanting to avoid them but if you do end up in the play offs those pressure games would do him the world of good if Goodwin throws him in for them. 

Good to hear, strange how he burst on to the scene with a goal under Deilas last game and never to be seen again. He still is only 19 though so plenty of time yet. Hoping he does fill out a bit like Christie did when Rodgers told him to hit the weights and he put on a stone in muscle and looked a totally different player when he did. I know Alloa will be wanting to avoid them but if you do end up in the play offs those pressure games would do him the world of good if Goodwin throws him in for them. 

Personally Don’t think that would phase jack. He appears to me very self assured in his ability. It will be physical side of these games which will be major issue for him. Blood and snorters. I rate him better all round player than Jack Hastie .

If given the proper support guidance and training. I don’t see why the lad want make it at Celtic. Certainly JG man management skills of the young players is brilliant.

Jack Hastie when he was with us said his training and encouragement was far more enjoyable than Motherwell’s.