The Alloa Athletic Thread

7 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Rangers apparently in advanced talks with Jake Hastie. Far from finished article but what a month from a great player. Feel like we didn’t use or appreciate him as much as we should’ve when we had him!

I had promised not to moan about this again but shrinking the pitch was a factor in that, he was at this best for us away from home where he had space to work in. Such an OG from the club. But at the same time, Jim Goodwin deserves great credit for identifying Hastie and bringing him to Alloa. He did well for us and the loan clearly benefitted him. Whether or not Rangers is the best place for his development is another matter but good luck to him whatever he does. 

Another huge game tomorrow. Feel 2 points is a poor reflection on our efforts against Dunfermline this season and would be great to put that right. What a difference it would make if we could get on another wee run. 

Rangers apparently in advanced talks with Jake Hastie. Far from finished article but what a month from a great player. Feel like we didn’t use or appreciate him as much as we should’ve when we had him!

I thought Goody managed Hastie well. He stood out from the start but lacked a consistent quality cross ball. He was left out for 2/3 games and I thought then came back with a more effective overall game. Good luck to him, he has a great attitude as well as loads of ability.

We are absolute shocking at home and have been for quite some time. The games in general are shocking, still can't believe we never made the pitch bigger halfway through - hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

Our recent home from is what s going to relegate us.  Dunfermline falkirk and Patrick are no better despite their investment but our failure to beat them or indeed avoid defeat will be out undoing .

A poor game yesterday and cannot get my head around the fact that we have some terrific footballers especially midfield to front and we stuck with the bowling alley pitch.  Teams are coming to alloa with the intention of winning ugly and waiting for a mistake.  

We should have backed ourselves and I am certain we would have been sitting with 38 points just now if we had played these teams in our full pitch especially with excellent wife men like Taggart hastie  and Flannigan. 

a poor division and a lost opportunity

3 hours ago, martynwasp said:

Admittedly I missed the game so can’t comment on yesterday - but I just can’t ever understand starting Shields and leaving Cawley on the bench

Sheilds is worth a start , I have already mentioned  a poor loan forward getting a start seems nuts!, something is wrong somewhere as we are disjointed again , jim is finding it tough  but hardly surprising he is still a fairly new manager and has done well , but something needs to change team tactics/selection wise .

The pitch completely kills dario/trouts and shields game with hardly any space for them. Hamilton never got out of a jog, heard pat the kit man of all people saying jacks one of the laziest footballers he seen [emoji23][emoji23] how Kev and robbo don’t play is a mystery to everyone I think.

Shrinking the park looked like a massive mistake from the moment it was announced. The club themselves made the comparison with Jack Ross doing it, but that was a very poor Alloa side stuck at the bottom of the league mid-season. It was hard for Alloa to create much on it, but our creative threat was so minimal anyway that shrinking the park and trying to frustrate better teams was worth trying. It worked to an extent, even though we only won 1 game on it.

This current side is much better than the team Ross inherited, it won promotion playing good football and Jim Goodwin continually stressed that he would stick to those principles, while adding attacking, creative players. If he really thought shrinking the pitch was the way to go then surely a change of style to defensive shitfesting should have been the plan. I don't understand how the club thought it was a good idea, and why they didn't take the chance to sort it in December. It's galling in a season when they have competed so admirably against the odds that a self inflicted injury has held us back. 

However, we are still very much in the battle and the team have responded so well to setbacks before that they should never be written off.  And it might even be a positive that we only have 3 league games left on the wee pitch. Do feel that we really need to win on Saturday though.