The Alloa Athletic Thread

27 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Billy Blackie- for me most noted for skying  that golden chance over the bar at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final, 1989. Opening minutes of the game.

The "other" Ian Black (ie not the demi god of Tranent) I think was Hugh McCann era?

Billy Blackie was rapid i seem to remember but his end product often left a lot to be desired, (the Eddie Fearns of the 80's !!)  i think we signed him from St Johnstone with John Irvine going the other way, but i may be wrong, or did we end up taking John Irvine for Blackie cant remember but i am sure St Johnstone were involved in some way.

Remember the other Ian Black, a pretty non descriptive striker who was probably  a reflection of the team we had at the time, mediocre at best.  

8 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Utterly convinced Blackie would still be capable of a real stellar job at Championship level. Looks fit, sharp and determined. Would be a real marker to make the clubs in this league sit up and take notice.

Looking at the bigger picture, would be a great additional revenue stream for the club too with shirt sales etc.

It's happening.... 

Screenshot_20190111_160025.thumb.jpg.6ee15c9fdc92938465cbfe19ca517381.jpg

55 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

He was fast  , very entertaining but the end product was not so good as you say 

On Zanatta do hearts intend to let him go ? that is the crux whether we get him fore the season or not..

I think Hearts are willing to let him go. There has been some big offers for him though but the crux is whether he gets a game there or not which is not guaranteed.

12 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Tell us what you are thinking then .  buy ye a pie tomoz if ya tell us ?

There's an embargo on it. That's why the advertiser don't have it up just now.

@Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) probably knows it already if he was hanging around last night.

Edited by LeodhasXD

4 hours ago, Craigy said:

Billy Blackie was rapid i seem to remember but his end product often left a lot to be desired, (the Eddie Fearns of the 80's !!)  i think we signed him from St Johnstone with John Irvine going the other way, but i may be wrong, or did we end up taking John Irvine for Blackie cant remember but i am sure St Johnstone were involved in some way.

Remember the other Ian Black, a pretty non descriptive striker who was probably  a reflection of the team we had at the time, mediocre at best.  

Sure McCann got Irvine in for Blackie from St J mate- top memory though, would never have recalled that til you mentioned it. Think Abel brought Blackie in.

Yeah, it was Blackie to Saints in a straight swap for John Irvine. One of a number of deals between the sides around that time:

• Kenny Thomson in exchange for Andy Millen
  • Stuart Sorbie for £15,000 to Saints
  • Iain Lee for £20,000 (plus Mike Smith) to Saints
  • Jim Butter to Alloa
  • Willie Newbigging to Alloa