The Alloa Athletic Thread

23 minutes ago, pencils said:

Iain Flannigan would surely get a game for most teams in this division - especially in the form he's in this season. An Alloa great and another superb performance.

You are spot on,terrific player.The thing is you could add a few more to Flanny.Bearing in mind they would be full time Parry,Taggs,Andy,Stevie and Robbo are as good as most championship sides have in their positions.Liam Dick and Kevin have also had good seasons so far and our young loans are all trying for full time careers anyway.We are a cracking part time side and we will get even better if we sort our own pitch.

It's been an excellent first half of the season for us. Yes, we could have picked up more points, but sitting third bottom and competing well nearly every week is as much as most of us would have wished at this stage.

The team has improved since the start of the season. Part of that is surely down to belief and confidence. Part is also down to the contribution of the young loan players (Jake, Dario and Sam especially) who have developed with the competitive games they have had at this level.

14 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It`s really refreshing to read the positivity from the Alloa fans on this thread. Your manager`s post match interview reflects a similar view.  There`s something really great about a spell when you feel your team is defying the finances and doing well. (That`s a genuine comment). 

A lot of credit must go to Jim Goodwin , he has learnt fast and admits when he has made a mistake,

he took over from one of the best managers in Scotland in Jack Ross and had big boots to fill, it took guts to stop playing and concentrate on the job as manager first off

that said it is easier for us to be positive as we really have nothing to lose and are not expected to stay here for long.

59 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

A lot of credit must go to Jim Goodwin , he has learnt fast and admits when he has made a mistake,

he took over from one of the best managers in Scotland in Jack Ross and had big boots to fill, it took guts to stop playing and concentrate on the job as manager first off

that said it is easier for us to be positive as we really have nothing to lose and are not expected to stay here for long.

Yep I get the nothing to lose angle but even allowing for that the club really seems to have a positive vibe. Good to see.

2 hours ago, pencils said:

Iain Flannigan would surely get a game for most teams in this division - especially in the form he's in this season. An Alloa great and another superb performance.

The only reason Flanny is at Alloa is because of his injury record. A brilliant player really proving it now hes had a real run of games in the past 2 seasons. Ability wise certainly our best player, I think he would start for every team in this league....

Can anyone imagine the seethe if we had converted those 8/9 extra points that we probably should have?

Alloa 4th at Christmas would have gave some people aneurysms. 

I look at the league table and I'm sure that 6th place is absolutely achievable as Dunfermline and Morton aren't as good as we are. I expect Dobbie to keep Queen's adrift of us when he's back but don't think they are as good us without him.

Edited by LeodhasXD

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can anyone imagine the seethe if we had converted those 8/9 extra points that we probably should have?

Alloa 5th at Christmas would have gave some people aneurysms. 

I look at the league table and I'm sure that 6th place is absolutely achievable as Dunfermline and Morton aren't as good as we are. I expect Dobbie to keep Queen's adrift of us when he's back but don't think they are as good us without him.

TBF to us we were without Dobbie and Harkins today. Most teams would miss that level of ability at this level.  I`ll be very surprised idf Alloa finish higher than 8th. Given that Falkirk in particular and Thistle must surely be better after the transfer window 8th would be a great finish for Alloa,

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

TBF to us we were without Dobbie and Harkins today. Most teams would miss that level of ability at this level.  I`ll be very surprised idf Alloa finish higher than 8th. Given that Falkirk and Thistle must surely be better after the transfer window 8th would be a great finish for Alloa,

Cant argue with any of that.8th would be outstanding for us.

Open training session Monday 31st December 10:00am onwards. Players going to do photos and autographs after for everyone. Pie hut will be open for food and drink. 

I’m working...[emoji22] but I’m sure my laddie would be up for going to that...

Thought Alloa were outstanding today...as good a performance as I’ve seen from them this season...Parry, Flanny, Robbo, Big Andy and Zanatta in particular...

1 minute ago, mcqbez said:

I’m working...emoji22.png but I’m sure my laddie would be up for going to that...

Thought Alloa were outstanding today...as good a performance as I’ve seen from them this season...Parry, Flanny, Robbo, Big Andy and Zanatta in particular...

The more the merrier

Yep I get the nothing to lose angle but even allowing for that the club really seems to have a positive vibe. Good to see.
Nice to hear that.

Our P&B posters are generally a decent and realistic bunch I think (perhaps that has something to do with being part-time). As are those supporting QotS - in contrast to, say, off the top of my head, Falkirk.

The club is also very well run and I think we recognise that we are lucky there.

We have been punching above our weight for years now, with various punts in the championship where we are not expected to be in reality , we are a small club 

with not so many fans but we have been quite blessed and rewarded for our loyalty to the club , beats me why more locals do not recognise the efforts of the club

and come and support us, there are a few teams in the 1st and 2nd who would bite yer hand off for our situation right now.

20 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I was watching the 6 a sides games that they were playing the other night and our team is literally fire. Ahmed is understandably ridiculous in training.

It was a nice surprise to see Ahmed Aloulou's name on the team sheet yesterday, I completely missed he'd signed for you.

I saw a lot of Futsal last season and he was one of the standout players. There's a few guys from from lower leagues in the futsal scene, and some really talented boys, but I wouldn't have expected any to jump straight into a Championship squad. It'll be interesting to see how he does if he gets some game time.