The Alloa Athletic Thread

10 hours ago, BigMartyn86 said:

I imagine that Liam Burt won't be getting his loan deal renewed next month. Hard to judge him as a player as he has hardly had any game time for us.

Hopefully we can keep a hold of Dario, Hastie and Shields.

Burt certainly hasn't stood out too much in the fleeting performances I've seen of him. Suspect we might lose Hastie as alluded to by Capt Oats and that would be a real blow. Reducing the pitch has unfortunately also reduced his impact a bit but he is an excellent young player. Not totally convinced we'd keep Shields, rather mixed so far. Definitely hope Dario stays and that Aberdeen don't recall Roscoe. 

You would wonder about Zack who is miles down the pecking order. Kirky seems to be out of the picture at St Mirren. I wonder..... 

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I wrote THIS about Alloa. I hope it is okay....(sorry about the 10th place)

Good piece and fair. I do think reducing the pitch has cost us a few points too but others could argue it has helped at times. Lot will depend on January and which loans come and go. Many are also assuming that Falkirk and Thistle are sure to improve. We'll see. Morton and Dunfermline don't look totally convincing either. 

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

good honest assessment, everyone has us for 10th so no need to apologise .Falkirk fans will disagree with it though they are falling over themselves to declare we are dross.!

Falkirk support on here seems to have a disproportionate amount of absolute fuckwits. 

Edited by Waspie

Falkirk support on here seems to have a disproportionate amount of absolute fuckwits. 
Stevie Hetherington was sat behind us during the second half at Falkirk and was saying the players are hopeful of the pitch being widened after the QoS game due to us playing better away from home.

Falkirk and Partick fans seem to think that come January that they'll sign a bunch of world beaters and climb the table with ease. I don't think it's as clear-cut as that as I reckon every team in league apart from ourselves still fancies promotion/the playoffs due to the nature of the league this season.

On 12/13/2018 at 21:52, Waspie said:

Burt certainly hasn't stood out too much in the fleeting performances I've seen of him. Suspect we might lose Hastie as alluded to by Capt Oats and that would be a real blow. Reducing the pitch has unfortunately also reduced his impact a bit but he is an excellent young player. Not totally convinced we'd keep Shields, rather mixed so far. Definitely hope Dario stays and that Aberdeen don't recall Roscoe. 

FWIW: Robinson all but confirmed Hastie's back for our first team in January (as opposed to being loaned out again). He'd previously been a bit more vague.

“I’m well aware we’re short of wide players. We’ve got Jake Hastie coming back from loan that has done very well at Alloa and they’ve done well for him, so that’s like signing a new player."

Link.

I used to get along to watch our u20s regularly when they were playing at Airdrie, less so since they've relocated  to Stirling. Interested to see how Hastie's developed, he's always shown up well in our Colts games and seems to have done alright for you guys (based on your excellent highlights).

Edited by capt_oats

We'll certainly miss Jake's pace. I think he'd be better off staying with Alloa for the full season to see it through and getting loads more games - he's still some way from the finished article, but good luck to him if he goes back. Will follow his career with interest.

I imagine that Liam Burt won't be getting his loan deal renewed next month. Hard to judge him as a player as he has hardly had any game time for us.

Yeah, just hasn't worked out for Burt. Been a bit unlucky IMO. Best attacking performance I've seen from us this season has been the 3-3 draw in Dumfries and we started the game with a front four of Burt, Hastie, Shields and wee Kev.

We were outstanding going forwards and I thought we'd found our best team, but with the Challenge Cup away to Dunfermline up next Burt and Hastie couldn't play, Trouts came back in, scored 2 goals and has kept the number 10 role.

Can't  see Adam brown staying for long either, hopefully get rid of one or two and try some other options

Don't see any reason we would get rid of Adam. Has been fine anytime he's been brought on. I think he's been a bit unlucky not to be given a chance more centrally, especially later on when there is more space.

One criticism I have of Jim G is that he seems to pigeonhole players - so Kev is a wide player, Robbo is a holding midfielder etc, when some of them have more to offer than that. Happy with big man overall though.

58 minutes ago, printer said:

We'll certainly miss Jake's pace. I think he'd be better off staying with Alloa for the full season to see it through and getting loads more games - he's still some way from the finished article, but good luck to him if he goes back. Will follow his career with interest.

I'd guess that the fact he's out of contract at the end of the season might play a part.

He signed his extension back in 2016 and made 3 first team appearances and made the bench 3 times that season. Since then he's spent a season on loan at Airdrie and this season with you guys. We're short of pace and width and there's genuinely a space in the squad for him but from the outside looking in it feels like it's a bit 'make or break' for him. If we're not going to take a chance on him now, when we could actually use a player like him around the first team, then he'd be within his rights to ask if there's much point in him signing a new extension (which I think we'd be keen for him to do).

Given Robinson's comment that the loan has worked out for Hastie then I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we ended up loaning you out another of our u20s in exchange. Someone like Broque Watson would be pretty like for like with Hastie. James Scott is someone I could see us wanting to get first team games as well though there's a decent chance he might get promoted to our first team squad from the way Robinson's been talking.

On 12/13/2018 at 21:52, Waspie said:

Good piece and fair. I do think reducing the pitch has cost us a few points too but others could argue it has helped at times. Lot will depend on January and which loans come and go. Many are also assuming that Falkirk and Thistle are sure to improve. We'll see. Morton and Dunfermline don't look totally convincing either. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, printer said:

Yeah, just hasn't worked out for Burt. Been a bit unlucky IMO. Best attacking performance I've seen from us this season has been the 3-3 draw in Dumfries and we started the game with a front four of Burt, Hastie, Shields and wee Kev.

We were outstanding going forwards and I thought we'd found our best team, but with the Challenge Cup away to Dunfermline up next Burt and Hastie couldn't play, Trouts came back in, scored 2 goals and has kept the number 10 role.

I think, maybe unfairly, that the Ayr game damaged Burt. We just couldn't hold the ball whenever it came out of defence. When the regular boys came on we picked up but then Ayr got the second and killed the game but I think it was a case of the tried and trusted lineup will definitely contribute, whereas Burt who has had some bright flashes might have a game like that.

Ayr are the best team in the league just now somehow so like I said probably it isn't fair to judge him on that only.