The Alloa Athletic Thread

20 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Very much aware that St Mirren are a bigger club than us and certainly its an emotional pull for Jim Goodwin due to his excellent affiliation with the club and their fans as a player. And this is of course hypothetical based on whether the St Mirren board actually see him as a candidate.

Waspie has highlighted that he has made mistakes in his time at Alloa. His summer recruitment last season wasnt great for a start but he managed to turn it round. The run in to last season gave us some brilliant memories and it was a fantastic time to follow Alloa.

Id say hes significantly progressed and really beginning to look the part now. He has handled the required overhaul of the squad following promotion really well and our team looks as good as we could have hoped at present. I think he thrives on being the wee team in this league and he certainly has instilled his spirit and character into his players. He also speaks very well week in week out and clearly has a great understanding of all the dynamics of the game.

In my opinion the St Mirren job looks less of an attraction than it did when it was last available about 10 minutes ago. If he feels (as i think he will) he still has a bit to go, he is probably better off staying where he is. There isnt a great deal of pressure or expectation, certainly less than there would be at St Mirren, where the board there have been well known to pull the trigger in the past.

However, we know things can change quickly in football and he might feel its an opportunity that might not arise again. When St Mirren approached Alex Ferguson when he was at the Shire in the 70s, Jock Stein told him to look down on the pitch from the back row of the stand in both grounds, then make his choice. I hope no one offers Jim the same advice. :)

Understand why you don’t want Jim to leave we were the same with Ross. Positives of our club. No debt - Money in the bank - Great youth academy which has brought in 2 million in the last 2 year’s. Stadium under 10 years old. Very good training ground. A club who’s fans will soon be owners.  There are some good players at Saints just needs the right man to gel them. Good luck with the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Forgot all about that. Hastie didn’t play last night for them but aye - Roscoe, Burt, Hastie and Zanatta all played in the first round. Forgot how ludicrous this competition is! What a miss that’ll be.

Hastie did play.  He headed it down to the guy who scored the first goal. and him along with the Burt and Roscoe are cup tied. Zanatta never played in the first round. He's available.

Decent win today. We were the better team over the piece, despite United missing a couple of sitters near the end.

Andy Graham stand out, absolutely outstanding. Special mention to Peggie who I thought had a decent game at left back, good that we can stick him in the team even though he’s so young and not look that much weakened. Think Connor Shields will be a good player for us, look dangerous when he was playing central at the start. Drifted out the game but Trouts coming on for him improved us, he had a good game.

Would probably take a Colt team at home and get into the next round! Wouldn’t mind a wee cup run. Either that or another ‘European Tour’!

I didnt think much of the first penalty shout, I thought Zanatta was always going to ground and ref got that right. Also thought the penalty we got was soft, but little doubt we deserved to be level at the very least in the game at that point. There was also a push on Shields in the box in the first half, which was totally missed and looked far more of a penalty.

It was quite astonishing that we were one down after quarter of an hour- we created tons of openings in that early spell of the game. We still need to be more clinical- it will cost us points in the league- but great to see so much creative threat all through the team. Despite passing up chances I didnt think at any point that we wouldn't score.

A very different United side to the one we faced last week, but we also made 5 changes to give everyone a run out. I thought Shields looked strong and impressive in particular.

What a guy Andy Graham is. Led by example with his performance, total commitment, particularly as the clock ran down- flying into tackles. And him scoring the decisive penalty in the shootout capped his day.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

7 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Does Owen still go to the Alloa games?He was always quite entertaining the few times I went to the Recs. I think he worked at the leisure bowl. He used to cover more ground than most of the players during a game. 

Yeah he was at last home game the other week..

Just seen this on the club website. Hopefully we'll see some of you Alloa supporters who aren't going to Dunfermline this weekend.

BSC Glasgow will donate the admission takings from our upcoming SFA South Challenge Cup match against Edusport Academy to local charity The Gate.

We have been groundsharing with Alloa Athletic for the last two seasons and have also given away 50 free tickets to the match for service users at The Gate to come along to The Indodrill Stadium this weekend to enjoy the match.

Admission at The Indodrill Stadium on Saturday is £4 for adults and £2 for concessions, with everything taken on the door being donated.

The club are encouraging everyone to come out and roar the side onto victory while supporting a fantastic local organisation.

Edited by Jerry Macguire

Oh for crying out loud, another league rival who we will be sick of the sight of , still could have been worse , might have been motherwell colts with  hastie ironically playing against us ..

Would’ve preferred a Colt team. Better chance of progression. This is kind of a lose/lose - no excitement & pretty difficult to win.