The Alloa Athletic Thread

It's becoming more and more apparent that I won't be at the Recs any time before Halloween  :(

Never looked forward to rearranged midweek fixtures before, but here we are. @LeodhasXD, I just want to wish you good luck - I'm all counting on you.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's becoming more and more apparent that I won't be at the Recs any time before Halloween  :(

Never looked forward to rearranged midweek fixtures before, but here we are. @LeodhasXD, I just want to wish you good luck - I'm all counting on you.

Just about finished yesterdays stuff. Will be uploaded by tonight at the latest.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

How's Jake Hastie getting on for you guys?

Quite "Well "  (pardon the pun ) he  is a pain in the neck for opposing defenders  and is certainly going on to better things, slightly raw but will improve 

we are glad to have him , should have scored yesterday but it will come ..

If Jim's public explanation for staying put in in the summer was genuine (that he wanted to show loyalty to Mike Mulraney and Alloa), then 4 league games since means nothing has changed.  But did wonder if he was really a contender at that point, and was the explanation just a way of dressing up that they had some initial talks and both sides felt it wasn't the right time.

Goodwin obviously played for St Mirren and St Mirren had great success with the last young manager they took from Alloa. However,  Jim Goodwin isn't Jack Ross and his record since he took the job has been up and down. Indeed, just about a year ago we were down near the bottom of the league and had lost 5-2 at home to Albion Rovers. He turned it around and the way he handled the very end of the season and the play-offs was magnificent. His signings have been mixed, indeed the policy has pretty much ended up being use Jack's nucleus and system and add loan players to it. But he has had success with that. The players have always played for him, even when things weren't going well. I'd say he is very much still a work in progress but there is promise there. Not convinced it would be the right move for him or St Mirren, all depends if he feels it's the right time and opportunity.  From an Alloa point of view  hopefully he stays put, upheaval of having to find a new man is never ideal.

9 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Yep story seems to be that St Mirren would like Jim Goodwin but I'm not unconvinced Jim didn't look at that St Mirren team in the summer and think they're going to be relegated. 

After all Stubbs' signings and none of them looking particularly convincing, would you really want to spend three months there without a chance of any player turnover?

Again I'm not convinced. Think the St. Mirren job as when Jack Ross took over is a poison chalice. Somehow Jack turned it around but likely too their promotion was too early. If Jim was to take over now he would get a lot of leeway. Maybe even a free pass on relegation. If they were to do badly again next season though that could easily be the end of a managerial career, such is the state of sacking managers and the proliferation of coaches in the game.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yep story seems to be that St Mirren would like Jim Goodwin but I'm not unconvinced Jim didn't look at that St Mirren team in the summer and think they're going to be relegated. 

After all Stubbs' signings and none of them looking particularly convincing, would you really want to spend three months there without a chance of any player turnover?

Again I'm not convinced. Think the St. Mirren job as when Jack Ross took over is a poison chalice. Somehow Jack turned it around but likely too their promotion was too early. If Jim was to take over now he would get a lot of leeway. Maybe even a free pass on relegation. If they were to do badly again next season though that could easily be the end of a managerial career, such is the state of sacking managers and the proliferation of coaches in the game.

Goodwin would be welcomed like a king - a legend at Saints. I've been very impressed with his work with you guys, and have heard only good things about his managerial prowess. He's a motivator and a leader, and we need those more than anything right now, not to mention the uniting effect he would have on the fans at this point.

Personally I would give him as long as it takes, certainly the rest of this season and beyond, even if relegated. Our recent history tells us that giving a manager time is the way to achieve stuff, and Goodwin would get plenty of time.

Would be sorry to be taking your manager again, but to be honest that only means you're making the right appointments - Jack Ross was the first manager to leave against our wishes for 32 years. All others were sacked or contracts not renewed - I'd love all of our managers to be poached as it would mean we're appointing good ones and are doing well.

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

Goodwin would be welcomed like a king - a legend at Saints. I've been very impressed with his work with you guys, and have heard only good things about his managerial prowess. He's a motivator and a leader, and we need those more than anything right now, not to mention the uniting effect he would have on the fans at this point.

Personally I would give him as long as it takes, certainly the rest of this season and beyond, even if relegated. Our recent history tells us that giving a manager time is the way to achieve stuff, and Goodwin would get plenty of time.

Would be sorry to be taking your manager again, but to be honest that only means you're making the right appointments - Jack Ross was the first manager to leave against our wishes for 32 years. All others were sacked or contracts not renewed - I'd love all of our managers to be poached as it would mean we're appointing good ones and are doing well.

Jim has learnt a lot about management , and considering he has replaced jack Ross has done very well, Ross was a coach firstly and jim has went headfirst into management

We have kept the core of our players that got us promoted unlike St mirren, and have recruited well IMO. . but is jim ready for the Saints ?  needs another season to me ..would be sorry to see him go.

44 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Jim has learnt a lot about management , and considering he has replaced jack Ross has done very well, Ross was a coach firstly and jim has went headfirst into management

We have kept the core of our players that got us promoted unlike St mirren, and have recruited well IMO. . but is jim ready for the Saints ?  needs another season to me ..would be sorry to see him go.

I'm not certain that he is ready, but I'd rather take my chances with him than the other candidates of MxPherson and McIntyre. I'm sure we'll find out quite quickly one way or another. I don't think we'd have sacked Stubbs without having sounded out a couple of candidates.

Very much aware that St Mirren are a bigger club than us and certainly its an emotional pull for Jim Goodwin due to his excellent affiliation with the club and their fans as a player. And this is of course hypothetical based on whether the St Mirren board actually see him as a candidate.

Waspie has highlighted that he has made mistakes in his time at Alloa. His summer recruitment last season wasnt great for a start but he managed to turn it round. The run in to last season gave us some brilliant memories and it was a fantastic time to follow Alloa.

Id say hes significantly progressed and really beginning to look the part now. He has handled the required overhaul of the squad following promotion really well and our team looks as good as we could have hoped at present. I think he thrives on being the wee team in this league and he certainly has instilled his spirit and character into his players. He also speaks very well week in week out and clearly has a great understanding of all the dynamics of the game.

In my opinion the St Mirren job looks less of an attraction than it did when it was last available about 10 minutes ago. If he feels (as i think he will) he still has a bit to go, he is probably better off staying where he is. There isnt a great deal of pressure or expectation, certainly less than there would be at St Mirren, where the board there have been well known to pull the trigger in the past.

However, we know things can change quickly in football and he might feel its an opportunity that might not arise again. When St Mirren approached Alex Ferguson when he was at the Shire in the 70s, Jock Stein told him to look down on the pitch from the back row of the stand in both grounds, then make his choice. I hope no one offers Jim the same advice. :)