The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Tamhain said:

The thing that stands out to me is that the nucleus of that squad were all with the club prior to Goodwin taking over. Is there any of his signings over the previous season and a half still on the books? The policy of taking on so many loan players last season might have got us up via the lottery that is the playoffs, but it was always going to leave us with a hell of a lot of strengthening to be done over the summer to be competitive in a much tougher league. So far the squad is nowhere near big enough and looks weaker than the one we went up with. We are nowhere near as bad as Brechin, but a couple of bad injuries and it could be a very sore season.

Spot on,I posted this last season.With six full time loans in the side last season its guaranteed to improve you as a side but these lads want full time football so keeping them was never going to happen.As you also state all the retained players are Jack Ross signings so the jury is out on his player recruitment.In his defence I would doubt a club of our size could expect better than the quality of Spence and Trouten and the problem with a successful play off campaign is it puts you two weeks behind you,re competitors as you don,t know what league you are going to be in.This season also sees us as the only part time team in the league so its going to be really tough.It looks as though Goodwin will try and get another load of loan signings in asap and if thats the case who decided that narrowing the pitch was a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Kobe2010 said:

Spot on,I posted this last season.With six full time loans in the side last season its guaranteed to improve you as a side but these lads want full time football so keeping them was never going to happen.As you also state all the retained players are Jack Ross signings so the jury is out on his player recruitment.In his defence I would doubt a club of our size could expect better than the quality of Spence and Trouten and the problem with a successful play off campaign is it puts you two weeks behind you,re competitors as you don,t know what league you are going to be in.This season also sees us as the only part time team in the league so its going to be really tough.It looks as though Goodwin will try and get another load of loan signings in asap and if thats the case who decided that narrowing the pitch was a good idea.

Got a little gossip this morning we were looking at another excellent loan signing but the parent club used him in two first team games and he scored in both. The manager then decided actually I think I'll hold onto him. 

I hope though that Jim isn't being too discriminating for a ready-made quality of player because as has happened so far they've either got better offers at full time teams or have hit the ground running at their clubs.

We badly need some new players in. 15 players two weeks into the season just isnt good enough and today we had nothing to change the game up front. Too many players are guaranteed a game and a couple of injuries and we basically have a bare 11. Also bored of hearing goodwin talking about how we nearly signed these great players; this means nothing. Players that we nearly signed arent going to keep us up this season.

Flanny was excellent today as was hastie but we just couldnt take our chances, something we need to do this season. Badly need to get more players in to pad out the squad so we dont fall away at the bottom.

2-0 flattered Morton today but the early goal made it pretty comfortable for them.

I thought we battered them for most of the second half however lacked many clear cut chances, apart from the one that Trouten blazed over the bar. We should have had a penalty in the buildup though IMO when Spence was bundled over.

Brown and Dick look to be struggling at this level, Dick tries really hard although just looks a few yards off the pace and was poor for both of the goals today. Brown is frustrating to watch as he must have some ability, however we are obviously yet to see it.

Although maybe cynical ^^ we have all watched football for long enough to know who isn’t going to cut it.

Still relatively hopeful for the season, one or two signings and we’ll get rid of the passengers in the team, we have enough players who are comfortably championship standard.

We play our 7th game of the season tonight and we are only able to list 3 subs, one of whom is Jim Goodwin who doesn't want to play.

Our signing approach this season has been a disaster. David Galt has already left the club and  Ahmed Aloulou hasn't been seen after appearing on the bench when he signed.

It's not helped tonight that Greg Spence is suspended, and Jake Hastie is playing for Motherwell Colts in the cup tie against East Stirlingshire. (Surely he should be playing for Alloa tonight, and if we get through we are without him in future rounds!!).

I believe that Declan McDonald has a long term injury.

We sent Mark Greene out on loan to Albion Rovers when we can't even fill our bench.

Clubs should be fined for not being able to provide a full squad for games, unless there are acceptable reasons (illness or injury etc). I don't think not having a big enough squad is acceptable (especially for a Championship side).

Total shambles!

We play our 7th game of the season tonight and we are only able to list 3 subs, one of whom is Jim Goodwin who doesn't want to play.
Our signing approach this season has been a disaster. David Galt has already left the club and  Ahmed Aloulou hasn't been seen after appearing on the bench when he signed.
It's not helped tonight that Greg Spence is suspended, and Jake Hastie is playing for Motherwell Colts in the cup tie against East Stirlingshire. (Surely he should be playing for Alloa tonight, and if we get through we are without him in future rounds!!).
We sent Mark Greene out on loan to Albion Rovers when we can't even fill our bench.
Clubs should be fined for not being able to provide a full squad for games, unless there are acceptable reasons (illness or injury etc). I don't think not having a big enough squad is acceptable (especially for a Championship side).
Total shambles!

Surely an alias/troll, but if not what a pile of warm shite.

Fines for not "providing a full squad"! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Badly need to get more players in to pad out the squad so we dont fall away at the bottom.

Good call, Adam. Let's get some padding quality in just so we can fill the bench. That will definitely work over the course of the season. No point waiting a couple of weeks to get in better quality to give us at least a chance of staying up.

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

How's Adam Brown been getting on so far?

Fun tonight. He honestly sometimes just glides past players and has a vicious shot aswell as an eye for a long ball. 

Thought he's looked off the pace when we played Morton and Ross County though.

3 hours ago, wos.wasp said:

Total shambles!

Nah this man is talking alot of sense. Time to get me on the bench Jim!:thumsup2

Good call, Adam. Let's get some padding quality in just so we can fill the bench. That will definitely work over the course of the season. No point waiting a couple of weeks to get in better quality to give us at least a chance of staying up.

However not all players can be of excellent quality. Its just not possible, but only having 3 subs with a keeper and a manager on the bench just simply isnt good enough 3 weeks into the season. Every team needs players who can offer something even if its off the bench.

22 hours ago, whereismillar said:

no need to panic, first few games were always going to be tough , the players will come ! 

Yeah, but from where?

I have this horrible feeling (& I hope I'm totally wrong) that we're being seen as "another Brechin" & players don't want to be associated with that scenario.

10 minutes ago, vespa said:

Yeah, but from where?

I have this horrible feeling (& I hope I'm totally wrong) that we're being seen as "another Brechin" & players don't want to be associated with that scenario.

I'm like 90% sure we're getting at 1 minimum in the next week but I don't think you're far wrong with the another Brechin tag.

When Airdrie are throwing around money and Dumbarton sucking up other part time pearls I think it's probably much easier to be one of those guys winning most weeks in the lower division than working hard to beat the professionals at their own game.

41 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm like 90% sure we're getting at 1 minimum in the next week but I don't think you're far wrong with the another Brechin tag.

When Airdrie are throwing around money and Dumbarton sucking up other part time pearls I think it's probably much easier to be one of those guys winning most weeks in the lower division than working hard to beat the professionals at their own game.

Personally I'd rather test and better myself by playing against better players and learning from it. Despite the result I bet the likes of Stevie and Flanny really enjoyed playing against guys like Tidser and Millar instead of (no disrespect) glorified amateurs at the likes of QP etc. 

23 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

However not all players can be of excellent quality. Its just not possible, but only having 3 subs with a keeper and a manager on the bench just simply isnt good enough 3 weeks into the season. Every team needs players who can offer something even if its off the bench.

It's not like we needed any subs to beat Stirling and the last thing I was bothered about was the lack of bodies on the bench. We need more players clearly but if the manager can utilise the loan market effectively in the next ten days then it's no issue. He has a bit of time now but pressure is on to get it right. He's clearly not blind or stupid and can see this himself....

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Personally I'd rather test and better myself by playing against better players and learning from it. Despite the result I bet the likes of Stevie and Flanny really enjoyed playing against guys like Tidser and Millar instead of (no disrespect) glorified amateurs at the likes of QP etc. 

It's not like we needed any subs to beat Stirling and the last thing I was bothered about was the lack of bodies on the bench. We need more players clearly but if the manager can utilise the loan market effectively in the next ten days then it's no issue. He has a bit of time now but pressure is on to get it right. He's clearly not blind or stupid and can see this himself....

Aye that's true of lots of the guys of our last generation of promotees. Look how many of them had a good crack at full time teams and went on to bigger things. Is there still that generation of part-timers? I think they are all getting older. The boys we've had forever like Kev and Iain are the ones still at the top of the part time game.