The Alloa Athletic Thread

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You used to be cool, man. What happened?

He is moving towards the ball then stops dead and lets the defender go over the back of him. I think most refs would give a foul for that. Its not exactly a stonewall decision but its not something to get incredulous about either.

Sorry!

A number of boys from Clackmannanshire went down to play for them in that era. I think it was 7 I reached and it's quite likely there were more. Millwall had strong Scottish connections in the early days. At that particular time there was an official from Fife who it seems came home in the summer and signed up local players for Millwall. Bogie Broon who I spent last season droaning on about was there and won favour with the Millwall fans by crunching West Ham players in derby games. 
In reality it might not be the best idea to bring all this up when you're down in London [emoji6]. 

Millwall half and half scarves on sale in the club shop.

He is moving towards the ball then stops dead and lets the defender go over the back of him. I think most refs would give a foul for that. Its not exactly a stonewall decision but its not something to get incredulous about either.
Sorry!
I don't think Greig actually tried to cleanly win a long ball in the air all day. He was mainly trying to draw a foul or put the defender off enough that he mistimed his headed clearance.

That's not meant as a criticism, it's not his strength and it's probably the most effective thing he could do, especially against the likes of Callum Morris.

As usual, I thought the ref was fine and the three officials did well in the circumstances.

On 29/07/2018 at 18:44, Skyline Drifter said:

Sorry!

Number one its a battle from when they both enter the frame not Greig suddenly stopping. A battle which the defender has both hands on Spence's back.

Number 2 if you say Greig is backing into the defender he actually ends up yards away from where he was standing because the defender is pushing him in the back.

Number 3 the defender misses the ball because he's pushed Greig so far forward so that he can't win the ball. 

Number 4 he jumps over Spence making sure he can't challenge for the ball.

It's not that long since I was playing football and every time from a goal kick or a long ball you need to battle for that space. As long as you use your body like Spence does and not your hands there is nothing wrong with it. He has every right to stand with the defender. Think those are fair reasons:thumsup2

On 29/07/2018 at 19:27, printer said:

That's not meant as a criticism, it's not his strength and it's probably the most effective thing he could do, especially against the likes of Callum Morris.

As usual, I thought the ref was fine and the three officials did well in the circumstances.

Actually think from his last stint compared to this one Greig could be a bit powder puff. Now it's something that hes gotten really good at and I think its a joy to watch him irritate the defenders. He draws so many fouls I think it'll be important over the season.

And I'm with Goody on the officials that it wasn't a well refereed game(he joked with the press saying thank you for not asking me about the officials). Although saying that there's been much worse performances by a ref and we didn't deserve to win the game by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by LeodhasXD

And I'm with Goody on the officials that it wasn't a well refereed game(he joked with the press saying thank you for not asking me about the officials). Although saying that there's been much worse performances by a ref and we didn't deserve to win the game by any stretch of the imagination.

I really can’t recall any big contentious moments in the game. Give the officials a break.

On 29/07/2018 at 19:06, Waspy said:

Millwall half and half scarves on sale in the club shop.

Think I might struggle to sell that idea to the club ;).

Jim mentioned at the weekend that he was hoping to add to the squad this week. Clearly there is no point in signing players for the sake of it, but I really hope there are a couple of decent additions on the way over the next few days. There are promising signs among the new faces we have already assembled but it's far from ideal to be going into August with such a small squad. As it stands, I'd say we are weaker 1-11 and clearly in terms of squad depth than we were at the end of the play-offs. Last year we were able to strengthen as we went on with the additions in January in particular making a massive difference. However, a similar policy this season could be very messy. 

Edited by Waspie

I've just been assuming the boss is having to wait for the full-time clubs to take their pick of the loan market. Presumably he has his eye on some quality players who are still holding out hope that a Dundee United will make them an offer. Bit depressing, but that's the game at this level these days.

You'd think we're a more attractive proposition than last season, at least.

Actually think from his last stint compared to this one Greig could be a bit powder puff. Now it's something that hes gotten really good at and I think its a joy to watch him irritate the defenders. He draws so many fouls I think it'll be important over the season.
Goody's comments about the ref are irrelevant in the debate. Managers nearly always have a bit of a moan about refs after a loss (irrespective of how the ref has performed) - it's an easy, and lazy, deflection/excuse for them.

I'd say at least 95% of managers don't properly understand the laws of the game - so they aren't really qualified to pass accurate judgement.

Actually think from his last stint compared to this one Greig could be a bit powder puff. Now it's something that hes gotten really good at and I think its a joy to watch him irritate the defenders. He draws....fouls

I agree. Greig looks stronger and also is causing a nuisance of himself competing for long balls, and linking play quite well when he does get on the end of these.

We'll need even more from him in this respect though as we progress through the season. It's up to him to keep that physical side if his game up and, indeed, even improve it.

Anyone know if the new kit is on sale yet?
It's absolutely bizzare we've played in new strips the last 2 games and the club hasn't announced anything about either of them

It's absolutely bizzare we've played in new strips the last 2 games and the club hasn't announced anything about either of them
As I've said before this season was an opportunity to push the club and try to increase the fan base but it all appears a little muted. I appreciate it is difficult being part time but sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate and push the boat out a little.

42 minutes ago, pencils said:
1 hour ago, Waspy said:
Anyone know if the new kit is on sale yet?

They were meant to arrive on Friday but they didn't. Otherwise they'd have been on sale in the shop. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3011749/partick-thistle-alloa-connor-shields-sunderland/
I know Jim has said before he was looking at English players. Theory for loan deals was up on Thursday for training stay until Sunday and then back to their clubs for Monday.

With the list of teams interested in Shields I can't see this happening.

The last couple of loan signings from Down south haven't really turned out and have usually been cut short. The last two being Alex Salmon from Carlisle and Calaum Jahraldo-Martin from Hull City.

40 minutes ago, Comrie said:

It looks like we might be signing Ross Stewart from St. Mirren- he was on loan last season with you, how did he do?

I'm sure most replies will insist he was utter shite, and you should send him back to us forthwith  :P

Will be interested to see how he performs in this league. Although we'd rather it was in an Alloa shirt, naturally.