The Alloa Athletic Thread

Paddy cregg if hes a trailist but he got sent off after around 10/15 after coming on.

Looked a similar line up from the one that played us last season, so i assume not many trailists.
What was he sent off for?

Nope, we haven’t. I remember Dick playing for Stranraer now - thought I recognised him. Any good?

I think he had a good game tonight, centre half isnt his position but played there for a fair portion of the game after taggs going off and never put a foot wrong.

11 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Was he offered any deal or what?

I would say he would be the replacement. No other left backs at all.

I think he was offered a new deal, though it wasn't made public at the time. 

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3635

11 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Nope, we haven’t. I remember Dick playing for Stranraer now - thought I recognised him. Any good?

He was one of my biggest disappointments last season, and trust me we had plenty of them.

When Chris McLaughlin picked up a really nasty injury in December that effectively ended his season I thought Dick would be the ideal replacement. He wouldn't offer as much going forward as Boomer, but he was pretty well regarded as one of the best left-backs in League One.

Unfortunately (aside from a MOTM debut against Queen of the South) he didn't look close to being up to Championship football. His positioning was the biggest issue - it was God awful. He clearly relied on his pace a lot in League One, but that just wasn't a big enough advantage in the Championship to cover for his positional issues. Time and again we lost goals down his side because he was either too high (leaving either Dowie, Hill or Mango to cover for him) or too central after being drawn inside by a decoy run.

His arrival coincided with our dreadful run of form between January and relegation in May. Now that certainly wasn't his fault, but he certainly played a role in it.

Weirdly though Boomer returned (briefly) from injury, and Dick moved to right-back, where he actually looked good. He put in a couple of solid shifts, and the fact it forced him to use his left foot to look for a pass rather than hoofing up the line actually improved his distribution a lot. Then he got injured, so did Boomer, and he only managed a few more games at LB where he returned to being unconvincing.

It could well have just been a case of him arriving at the club at the wrong time, but based on his performances for us (and what I saw of Crane) he wouldn't be in the same class.

Edited by Ross Forbes

Cheers! Mixed bag then, as many of this summers signings seem to be. When Calum Waters left I thought there was no way we’d replicate a signing like that. Calum Crane was a very pleasant surprise, but again, destined for better things. It would be very impressive and surprising if we could get a third left back in a row of that calibre.

He was one of my biggest disappointments last season, and trust me we had plenty of them.
When Chris McLaughlin picked up a really nasty injury in December that effectively ended his season I thought Dick would be the ideal replacement. He wouldn't offer as much going forward as Boomer, but he was pretty well regarded as one of the best left-backs in League One.
Unfortunately (aside from a MOTM debut against Queen of the South) he didn't look close to being up to Championship football. His positioning was the biggest issue - it was God awful. He clearly relied on his pace a lot in League One, but that just wasn't a big enough advantage in the Championship to cover for his positional issues. Time and again we lost goals down his side because he was either too high (leaving either Dowie, Hill or Mango to cover for him) or too central after being drawn inside by a decoy run.
His arrival coincided with our dreadful run of form between January and relegation in May. Now that certainly wasn't his fault, but he certainly played a role in it.
Weirdly though Boomer returned (briefly) from injury, and Dick moved to right-back, where he actually looked good. He put in a couple of solid shifts, and the fact it forced him to use his left foot to look for a pass rather than hoofing up the line actually improved his distribution a lot. Then he got injured, so did Boomer, and he only managed a few more games at LB where he returned to being unconvincing.
It could well have just been a case of him arriving at the club at the wrong time, but based on his performances for us (and what I saw of Crane) he wouldn't be in the same class.

Oh dear, well he played well tonight and thats all i have really seen of him, only a few games here or there.

None of the left backs have been in the same class at the club in my 10 years watching alloa.

The start of the season is getting ever closer and we still have a number of significant gaps in our squad (team). Jim is going to need to pull a number of rabbits out of hats at this stage. In light of that, I'd be happy enough taking a shot on Liam Dick. We could certainly do a lot worse. 

I haven't seen Tena play for a while. I suppose with that one then you are taking a gamble on a player who has played a lot of games at a good level and is still fairly young, but with some serious questions over whether or not he is still capable of getting close to his old self after a bad injury.  Tough call, but again time is marching on and a lot of players are already signed elsewhere.  We probably need two centre backs. Perhaps Jim has some good deals lined up that he isn't able to confirm yet. If not, we are probably getting pretty close to having to take gambles on the likes of Tena. 

Pretty entertaining game last night and we certainly deserved the win, scoring three good goals and playing some good football with Flanny running the show from centre midfield and ably supported by Trouten, Spence, Cawley and Brown going forwards.

Defensively we were a bit suspect, perhaps to be expected with Andy Graham not being risked and two trialists in the back four. Neither Garcia Tena nor Dick was great, but they were OK. I'd be more comfortable signing the latter. Wasn't partucularly impressed with any of the other trialists although Graham did well at times.

Good to see a cameo from the manager.

17 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Looked like a stamp but i couldnt be 100% sure.

Highlights will show it tomorrow

Aye was 100% a stamp. Going to just do the goals(and the red) as I've still got other stuff to do. Clyde game is going up along side this one later tonight.

Aye was 100% a stamp. Going to just do the goals(and the red) as I've still got other stuff to do. Clyde game is going up along side this one later tonight.

Dirty *astard, what’s that all about.

The guy bolo looked a bit riled up aswell for it just to be a friendly.